The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

going back to work- questions

Forums General Melanoma Community going back to work- questions

Participant

I am wanting to go back to work…dx with stage 4 melanoma-I have been NED for nearly 9 months . I am still in the trial here at Moffitt.  I will need 2 more days off for treatment for the trial…Am I crazy for wanting to go back to work? I know if I do go back I will lose my state disability ( from state job in North Dakota) as well as my SSDI.

I am wanting to go back to work…dx with stage 4 melanoma-I have been NED for nearly 9 months . I am still in the trial here at Moffitt.  I will need 2 more days off for treatment for the trial…Am I crazy for wanting to go back to work? I know if I do go back I will lose my state disability ( from state job in North Dakota) as well as my SSDI. If I get reoccurrence I will never get my North Dakota disability back as I am in Florida now…I wonder how hard it will be and how long it would take to get the SSDI started again…anyone know if it would be easier the second time around?

I feel like I can't sit around and do nothing like I am waiting to die. Yes I know I felt that way in the beginning, but now I really want to move forward and hope and pray for the best.

Another question…should I tell them at my interview about my diagnosis? Or wait and tell my direct manager/supervisor. I know the law says they can't discriminate…but in this  area unemployment is 15% and afraid they can pick and choose and trump up a reason not to hire me if they don't like my dx…I do not want to claim disabled …I want  to be hired because of my skills and experience…not because of my dx…

anybody want to throw some thoughts out there?? Thanks, Lynn ( have interview next Wednesday…)

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

If you're going back into social work I see no reason why that would interfere with your work unless the trail you are in would take time away from work.  If you would require time away from work immediately then I suppose you would need to disclose that before accepting a job.  But other than that, I say good for you it's great that you are feeling up to going back to work.  If it doesn't affect your job they don't need to know.  I would be very careful and check to see if there if a waiting period on health benefits though.  You don't want to get caught with a 6 month wait for benefits and no SSDI. 

washoegal
          Participant

If you're going back into social work I see no reason why that would interfere with your work unless the trail you are in would take time away from work.  If you would require time away from work immediately then I suppose you would need to disclose that before accepting a job.  But other than that, I say good for you it's great that you are feeling up to going back to work.  If it doesn't affect your job they don't need to know.  I would be very careful and check to see if there if a waiting period on health benefits though.  You don't want to get caught with a 6 month wait for benefits and no SSDI. 

MARTERWAG
            Participant

Perhaps you could try going back to work part time?  You can earn up to $1000 per month and not lose your SSDI.

The application process for SSDI would be the same as the first time if you need to reapply.  You would have the 5 month waiting period for benefits again.

Hoping you continue to do well!!

By the way – I'm in ND – working for the State.  Today I think I'd rather be in Florida 🙂

LynnLuc
                Participant

Where at in ND? I was doing CPS for Bott, Pierce and Mc Henry counties and before that- targeted case management at Foster/Eddy and Wells!

When I called Soc Sercurity they told me I could earn up to 740 ( or maybe 770) before they cut me off…I get long term disability from ND state and they allow me to make up to 70% of my previous pay before they cut me off…

I only get 1350 a month total and hubby is still trying to find work…I don't even qualify for Medicaid down here..just considered medically needy and so I would need 1300 this month in medical bills before Medicaid even cover anything. Our monthly income is only 1350…go figure…house payment, car payment utilities food etc etc..where would I get 1300 for medical bills….

MARTERWAG
                  Participant

I have a friend who is a social worker for Foster, Eddy & Wells – she's only been there a few years.  I think she works with foster kids a lot. 

I'm in Bismarck – I work for Disability Determination Services (DDS) …. I do the medical reviews of SSI/SSDI claims.  We're a federally funded state program (through SSA).  Each state has thier own DDS.  

I'm not an expert on the qualifications for SSI/SSDI since that's handled by the SSA office, but I know you are not considered to be engaging in Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) until you earn over $1000 per month for 2010 (haven't heard if it will go up for 2011).  So I'd question why they told you $740 or $770.  Maybe call to clarify?  Maybe it has to do with your disability payments from the state? 

My dad and sister-in-law have both had melanoma (luckily caught early)- that's why I lurke around here keeping an eye on treatments and such.

LynnLuc
                    Participant

wow then I probably know her!! I know everybody in all 3 offices since I covered all 3 counties!! Small world! Thanks for the SSDI info I will check into it with another call!

LynnLuc
                      Participant

wow then I probably know her!! I know everybody in all 3 offices since I covered all 3 counties!! Small world! Thanks for the SSDI info I will check into it with another call!

MARTERWAG
                        Participant

I have a friend who is a social worker for Foster, Eddy & Wells – she's only been there a few years.  I think she works with foster kids a lot. 

I'm in Bismarck – I work for Disability Determination Services (DDS) …. I do the medical reviews of SSI/SSDI claims.  We're a federally funded state program (through SSA).  Each state has thier own DDS.  

I'm not an expert on the qualifications for SSI/SSDI since that's handled by the SSA office, but I know you are not considered to be engaging in Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) until you earn over $1000 per month for 2010 (haven't heard if it will go up for 2011).  So I'd question why they told you $740 or $770.  Maybe call to clarify?  Maybe it has to do with your disability payments from the state? 

My dad and sister-in-law have both had melanoma (luckily caught early)- that's why I lurke around here keeping an eye on treatments and such.

MARTERWAG
                          Participant

MARTERWAG
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                              Participant

Where at in ND? I was doing CPS for Bott, Pierce and Mc Henry counties and before that- targeted case management at Foster/Eddy and Wells!

When I called Soc Sercurity they told me I could earn up to 740 ( or maybe 770) before they cut me off…I get long term disability from ND state and they allow me to make up to 70% of my previous pay before they cut me off…

I only get 1350 a month total and hubby is still trying to find work…I don't even qualify for Medicaid down here..just considered medically needy and so I would need 1300 this month in medical bills before Medicaid even cover anything. Our monthly income is only 1350…go figure…house payment, car payment utilities food etc etc..where would I get 1300 for medical bills….

MARTERWAG
                              Participant

Perhaps you could try going back to work part time?  You can earn up to $1000 per month and not lose your SSDI.

The application process for SSDI would be the same as the first time if you need to reapply.  You would have the 5 month waiting period for benefits again.

Hoping you continue to do well!!

By the way – I'm in ND – working for the State.  Today I think I'd rather be in Florida 🙂

Tracy Chicago
                                Participant

The cautious side of me says apply for part-time work to stay under $1000 and keep your disability.  I wouldn't tell them about your dx, just say you are not avaiable to work on those two specific days and leave it at that.

Good luck!

Tracy Chicago
                                  Participant

The cautious side of me says apply for part-time work to stay under $1000 and keep your disability.  I wouldn't tell them about your dx, just say you are not avaiable to work on those two specific days and leave it at that.

Good luck!

Rocklove
                                    Participant

Go part time only. At least that will keep you somewhat busy and you will not be loosing your other retirement. It is too much stress knowing if you will get it back if you do get sick again.

Rocky

Rocklove
                                      Participant

Go part time only. At least that will keep you somewhat busy and you will not be loosing your other retirement. It is too much stress knowing if you will get it back if you do get sick again.

Rocky

filbert
                                        Participant

Lynn:

I totally understand your feelings.  I just left the workforce after 35 years and it wasn't planned.  Melanoma sorta does that for you sometimes.    I had yet another surgery this past July (tumor removal).   With the previous surgeries I was back to work quickly, about two weeks.   I could tell that with each surgery it was taking longer to recuperate and the strength wasn't there like before.   

I kept thinking that if I could just get back to work I would feel better, both mentally ,etc.   The reality was that if I went back I would have to start completely over with the disability application and we couldn't afford that (we live in Washington state). I think you need to do what is best for you but listen to your body also.   Stamina and strength was a big issue in my decision.

Best of luck,

Phil (Filbert)

filbert
                                          Participant

Lynn:

I totally understand your feelings.  I just left the workforce after 35 years and it wasn't planned.  Melanoma sorta does that for you sometimes.    I had yet another surgery this past July (tumor removal).   With the previous surgeries I was back to work quickly, about two weeks.   I could tell that with each surgery it was taking longer to recuperate and the strength wasn't there like before.   

I kept thinking that if I could just get back to work I would feel better, both mentally ,etc.   The reality was that if I went back I would have to start completely over with the disability application and we couldn't afford that (we live in Washington state). I think you need to do what is best for you but listen to your body also.   Stamina and strength was a big issue in my decision.

Best of luck,

Phil (Filbert)

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics