The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

gliadel wafer for brain met?

Forums General Melanoma Community gliadel wafer for brain met?

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I am back in the hospital and craniotomy #2 is scheduled for Monday.  I will get a chest, abdomen, pelvis CT scan tomorrow (Sat) to see if I have any mets below the neck.  As of now, my brain met recurrence is the only known met in my body.

My med onc (who has not yet talked to my neurosurgeon or rad onc) mentioned the possibility of a gliadel wafer, a treatment primarily used for gliomas.  I have just started to research, and it appears that WBR follows the wafer and I would like to hold off on the WBR if possible.  I have not yet tried temodar, maintenance ipi was discussed, and so was the potential for PD-1 in a couple months.

My first brain met was removed through craniotomy in Nov, and the recurrence came back in five months so, as always, timing is everything.

Does anyone have any experience with these wafers?  Thanks for your help.

Brendan
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Candi13
        Participant

For what it is worth, I was on PD1 and NED for over 1 + years  while on  PD1 then got a brain met. Not sure if PD1 crosses the brain blood barrrier to kill tumors in the brain

Candi13
          Participant

For what it is worth, I was on PD1 and NED for over 1 + years  while on  PD1 then got a brain met. Not sure if PD1 crosses the brain blood barrrier to kill tumors in the brain

Candi13
            Participant

aldakota22
              Participant

Brendan you will be in my prayers and so many  others for the best outcome from Tuesdays operation.Expecting to hear fantastic news in next post.All the best.Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Brendan you will be in my prayers and so many  others for the best outcome from Tuesdays operation.Expecting to hear fantastic news in next post.All the best.Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

Brendan
                    Participant

HI,

My surgeon and med onc have decided to use the wafers.  The surgeon has used them before.  My CT on Sat (chest, abdomen, pelvis) was clear, so I wll be NED after surgery, now 21 months at Stage IV.  This will certainly get through the BBB, and then it's more wait and see.

Craniotomy is planned for Tues.  

Brendan

Brendan
                      Participant

HI,

My surgeon and med onc have decided to use the wafers.  The surgeon has used them before.  My CT on Sat (chest, abdomen, pelvis) was clear, so I wll be NED after surgery, now 21 months at Stage IV.  This will certainly get through the BBB, and then it's more wait and see.

Brendan

Brendan
                        Participant

HI,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics