The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gleevec VS Dasatinib

Forums General Melanoma Community Gleevec VS Dasatinib

Participant

I know that Gleevec and Dasatinib are both targeted therapies. 

Scott is C-Kit positive and was unsuccessful on the Dasatinib trial.  Does anyone know whether or not Gleevec might work even if Dasatinib didn't? 

No doctors have mentioned the Gleevec in a while and I wonder if it's an option for him.

Thanks, Lisa

I know that Gleevec and Dasatinib are both targeted therapies. 

Scott is C-Kit positive and was unsuccessful on the Dasatinib trial.  Does anyone know whether or not Gleevec might work even if Dasatinib didn't? 

No doctors have mentioned the Gleevec in a while and I wonder if it's an option for him.

Thanks, Lisa

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

Hi Lisa,

I definitely think you should bring up C-KIT and Gleevec during your trip to MDA.  

From reading various posts on MPIP and other information elsewhere, my impression (I'm negative for C-KIT) has always been that Gleevec would be something to strongly look into with a C-KIT mutation.

Search MPIP posts for Gleevec, C-KIT or both. JerryfromFauq is one person to ask. His profile talks about being prescribed C-KIT by Dr. Hwu from MDA (last 2 paragraphs).

Jerry's profile: http://www.melanoma.org/community/profiles/jerryfromfauq You might want to print it out to help you come prepared for your MDA visit and your appt with Dr. Patel.

Do you go to MDA as your primary facility, or are you going there a second opinion? 
          Good luck with your visit there.

– Kyle

kylez
          Participant

Hi Lisa,

I definitely think you should bring up C-KIT and Gleevec during your trip to MDA.  

From reading various posts on MPIP and other information elsewhere, my impression (I'm negative for C-KIT) has always been that Gleevec would be something to strongly look into with a C-KIT mutation.

Search MPIP posts for Gleevec, C-KIT or both. JerryfromFauq is one person to ask. His profile talks about being prescribed C-KIT by Dr. Hwu from MDA (last 2 paragraphs).

Jerry's profile: http://www.melanoma.org/community/profiles/jerryfromfauq You might want to print it out to help you come prepared for your MDA visit and your appt with Dr. Patel.

Do you go to MDA as your primary facility, or are you going there a second opinion? 

– Kyle

kylez
            Participant

Hi Lisa,

– Kyle

kylez
              Participant

I see elsewhere this is your first visit to MDA. Hope you have a good visit. 

– Kyle

kylez
                Participant

– Kyle

kylez
                  Participant

– Kyle

jmmm
                    Participant
                      When my husband was first diagnosed, he was put on Gleevec. Turns out he really wasn’t c-kit positive, so it didn’t work. When we did our research, I think I remember reading an 80-85% success rate (that was 2+ years ago, so things might have changed). He was on it for about 6 weeks and had no side effects. I definitely recommend looking into it…it was the easiest treatment he’s been on.
                      jmmm
                      Participant
                        When my husband was first diagnosed, he was put on Gleevec. Turns out he really wasn’t c-kit positive, so it didn’t work. When we did our research, I think I remember reading an 80-85% success rate (that was 2+ years ago, so things might have changed). He was on it for about 6 weeks and had no side effects. I definitely recommend looking into it…it was the easiest treatment he’s been on.
                        jmmm
                        Participant
                          sharmon
                          Participant
                            Md Anderson has a gleevac trial now! Brent had qualified for it with dr. Falchook.before he died,
                            sharmon
                            Participant
                              Md Anderson has a gleevac trial now! Brent had qualified for it with dr. Falchook.before he died,
                              sharmon
                              Participant
                            Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics