The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gammaknife worked overtime today

Forums General Melanoma Community Gammaknife worked overtime today

Participant

My wife went in for her second gammaknife treatment to pick off two brain tumors. Her scan was ten days ago. They did the pre-treatment MRI this morning and found three more – all three had emerged during this ten day period. Obviously not a good sign – means the cancer is fast growing up there. She was able to have the gammaknife treatment and they went after all five. They will scan again in 30 days. But likely the next treatment for her head will be whole brain radiation. She's pretty emotionally distraught this evening, even though she came through it fine.

My wife went in for her second gammaknife treatment to pick off two brain tumors. Her scan was ten days ago. They did the pre-treatment MRI this morning and found three more – all three had emerged during this ten day period. Obviously not a good sign – means the cancer is fast growing up there. She was able to have the gammaknife treatment and they went after all five. They will scan again in 30 days. But likely the next treatment for her head will be whole brain radiation. She's pretty emotionally distraught this evening, even though she came through it fine. No side effects yet, even though one was in the speech center. 

We have the weekend to recover – then she has a golf ball size sub-q tumor on her upper arm removed Monday. Then a week later – maybe start a new chemo. 

This disease is just terrible.

Nick

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Nick, thanks for the update. I would just like to agree with you that this is indeed a terrible cancer. As you know, it is especially nasty since it can become very aggressive so quickly.

Hope that the WBR and any new chemo will be beneficial.

Wishing you and your wife peace and strength.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Nick, thanks for the update. I would just like to agree with you that this is indeed a terrible cancer. As you know, it is especially nasty since it can become very aggressive so quickly.

Hope that the WBR and any new chemo will be beneficial.

Wishing you and your wife peace and strength.

Frank from Australia

Hereiam
            Participant

I am truly hoping and preying for your wife to recover effectively! It`s a terrible disease and I am so sorry that there are no mirracle-treatment to this.

Wishing you the strenght and love for each other no matter what!

Hereiam
              Participant

I am truly hoping and preying for your wife to recover effectively! It`s a terrible disease and I am so sorry that there are no mirracle-treatment to this.

Wishing you the strenght and love for each other no matter what!

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Praying for you both.

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Dear Nick,

I am thinking of you and your wife and hoping so much that the treatments work. You must feel so discouraged. One thing I have seen here on this board over and over again are the miracles that DO happen so NEVER GIVE UP! We will help you keep HOPE alive!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED (due to Ipi)

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Dear Nick,

I am thinking of you and your wife and hoping so much that the treatments work. You must feel so discouraged. One thing I have seen here on this board over and over again are the miracles that DO happen so NEVER GIVE UP! We will help you keep HOPE alive!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED (due to Ipi)

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Praying for you both.

glewis923
                        Participant

I had about 7 SRS'ed.  Then 1 week latter i had 10 days of WBRad.  Do not delay.  This was Feb. 2011,  and been pretty much stable since.  Also had yervoy 3-2011 thru 5-2011.  …..4rounds.  Started Zelboraf 5 wks. ago.  Keep up good fight, but insist on immediate action. JMHO.

Good Luck & God Bless ya'll…..ps- i had at least 11 brain tumors….so something helped, and i truely think WBR done quickly kept things from getting exponentially worse.

Grady.

glewis923
                          Participant

I had about 7 SRS'ed.  Then 1 week latter i had 10 days of WBRad.  Do not delay.  This was Feb. 2011,  and been pretty much stable since.  Also had yervoy 3-2011 thru 5-2011.  …..4rounds.  Started Zelboraf 5 wks. ago.  Keep up good fight, but insist on immediate action. JMHO.

Good Luck & God Bless ya'll…..ps- i had at least 11 brain tumors….so something helped, and i truely think WBR done quickly kept things from getting exponentially worse.

Grady.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics