The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife vs. SRS (on Triology machine)

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife vs. SRS (on Triology machine)

Participant

Looking for input from those who have gone before me.  After nearly 9 years at stage IV I now havea 12 mm brain met.  Have met w two neuro/radio oncs (one works with my longtime onc/team and the other not).  I know there is not much documented "evidence" for one being better than the other but after hearing all the info, my gut tells me gamma may be a better option.  Reallly welcome your input and thoughts.

Looking for input from those who have gone before me.  After nearly 9 years at stage IV I now havea 12 mm brain met.  Have met w two neuro/radio oncs (one works with my longtime onc/team and the other not).  I know there is not much documented "evidence" for one being better than the other but after hearing all the info, my gut tells me gamma may be a better option.  Reallly welcome your input and thoughts.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        DonW
        Participant

NapaK — sorry to hear about your mets. Hopefully you can get the brain met zapped and that will be the end of it. I don't have anye experience other than what I've read over the years on here, but I'd say Gamma Knife has the best track record of any of the SRS options and it's also specifically made for brain mets while the other machines are general purpose machines adapted to brain use. Gamma Knife seems like the best choice to me.

DonW
          Participant

NapaK — sorry to hear about your mets. Hopefully you can get the brain met zapped and that will be the end of it. I don't have anye experience other than what I've read over the years on here, but I'd say Gamma Knife has the best track record of any of the SRS options and it's also specifically made for brain mets while the other machines are general purpose machines adapted to brain use. Gamma Knife seems like the best choice to me.

DonW
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics