The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

gamma knife for more than 3 tumors?

Forums General Melanoma Community gamma knife for more than 3 tumors?

Participant

My mother has stage IV melanoma. She has 5 small lesions in her brain and a few other small ones in her lungs. She was diagnosed 8 months ago and did not really respond negatively or positively to chemo. Doctors have recommended WBR but she dies not want to do it. She was also told by docs that they cant perform gamma knife if there's more than 3 tumors. What are the options then?

My mother has stage IV melanoma. She has 5 small lesions in her brain and a few other small ones in her lungs. She was diagnosed 8 months ago and did not really respond negatively or positively to chemo. Doctors have recommended WBR but she dies not want to do it. She was also told by docs that they cant perform gamma knife if there's more than 3 tumors. What are the options then?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I'm not sure but think that 5 is usually the limits at the same time that they do gamma, but would request a 2nd opinion.  Possibly a combination of crainectomy and gamma?   If not possible then they would be discussing WBR.  Could they just do gamma or SRS for the largest or most dangerous area for 3 and see if they respond and then do the other 2?   But, it would always be a good 2nd opinion in a different hospital that is known for dealing with cancer and radiation.

My local oncologist immediately jumped to doing WBR after the 1 met. Haven't been back to see her since then, she was looking at only what options were given in this area. I had already been given other options so when talking to her really opened my eyes on how others are not given options.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I'm not sure but think that 5 is usually the limits at the same time that they do gamma, but would request a 2nd opinion.  Possibly a combination of crainectomy and gamma?   If not possible then they would be discussing WBR.  Could they just do gamma or SRS for the largest or most dangerous area for 3 and see if they respond and then do the other 2?   But, it would always be a good 2nd opinion in a different hospital that is known for dealing with cancer and radiation.

My local oncologist immediately jumped to doing WBR after the 1 met. Haven't been back to see her since then, she was looking at only what options were given in this area. I had already been given other options so when talking to her really opened my eyes on how others are not given options.

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

Lisa13
              Participant
                I’m sorry to hear about your Mom.

Every Dr will suggest WBR when there are more than 2 tumours, for fear that microscopic cells could grow. This of course is your mother’s decision.

If she has small lesions, she could likely get them gamma knifed. I have read that this is possible, but perhaps some places would do it and others may not. I just had 2 tumours gamma knifed and they also tried to talk me into it. In my personal opinion, I just didn’t want to put myself through it when I had a chance at gamma knife. Since your mom also has lung mets, she should either start doing ipi (yervoy) and get herself BRAF tested. Small lung mets would mean your mom has time for the ipi to possibly work (up to 3 months). I had 15 small mets all under 1cm (accept for 1) and just recently found out that they’ve shrunk and some disappeared on ipi. I also hope at even though I have brain mets, the ipi will work to keep them from growing for am long time.

There are options. Try and convince them to gamme knife, but I understand the need to do WBR too. Some people have had this done and then did ipi.

I wish your mom the best of luck. Keep strong and remain positive.

Lisa
                I

Lisa13
                Participant

Every Dr will suggest WBR when there are more than 2 tumours, for fear that microscopic cells could grow. This of course is your mother’s decision.

If she has small lesions, she could likely get them gamma knifed. I have read that this is possible, but perhaps some places would do it and others may not. I just had 2 tumours gamma knifed and they also tried to talk me into it. In my personal opinion, I just didn’t want to put myself through it when I had a chance at gamma knife. Since your mom also has lung mets, she should either start doing ipi (yervoy) and get herself BRAF tested. Small lung mets would mean your mom has time for the ipi to possibly work (up to 3 months). I had 15 small mets all under 1cm (accept for 1) and just recently found out that they’ve shrunk and some disappeared on ipi. I also hope at even though I have brain mets, the ipi will work to keep them from growing for am long time.

There are options. Try and convince them to gamme knife, but I understand the need to do WBR too. Some people have had this done and then did ipi.

Lisa
                  I

Lisa13
                  Participant

Lisa
                    I

nikolaos
                    Participant

It would be valuable if you could provide some more information about the size of the tumors, location etc.. Normally i do not think that the number itself is a problem, i know that they can perform a procedure to threat lots of tumors when their diameter is not bigger than 3 cm (it may be evenbigger in cases).. Are you going to a center where they provide gamma knife? If not it would be very important to seek another option from a neurosurgeon who actually performs gamma knife.

nikolaos
                        Participant

Also as far as i know, melanoma is radioresistant so WBRT is normally not so affective.

Two weeks ago, my mom had a stroke. They found 7 brain mets. One had bled and that's what caused the stroke. This moved her from stage 3 to stage 4. She was in the hospital for 12 days for speech, physical, & occupational therapy. Yesterday she had gamma knife radiation for 6 of the brain mets. The 7th one will have gamma knife in one month after it has clotted. They will do a follow up PET and MRI in a month to check the success. I hope that you had successful treatment. 

Two weeks ago, my mom had a stroke. They found 7 brain mets. One had bled and that's what caused the stroke. This moved her from stage 3 to stage 4. She was in the hospital for 12 days for speech, physical, & occupational therapy. Yesterday she had gamma knife radiation for 6 of the brain mets. The 7th one will have gamma knife in one month after it has clotted. They will do a follow up PET and MRI in a month to check the success. I hope that you had successful treatment. 

nikolaos
                          Participant

Also as far as i know, melanoma is radioresistant so WBRT is normally not so affective.

nikolaos
                            Participant

nikolaos
                            Participant

It would be valuable if you could provide some more information about the size of the tumors, location etc.. Normally i do not think that the number itself is a problem, i know that they can perform a procedure to threat lots of tumors when their diameter is not bigger than 3 cm (it may be evenbigger in cases).. Are you going to a center where they provide gamma knife? If not it would be very important to seek another option from a neurosurgeon who actually performs gamma knife.

nikolaos
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics