The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife and Yervoy for one Brain Met?

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife and Yervoy for one Brain Met?

Participant

I had a brain MRI in April to check for issues that might cause the ear-ringing I am experiencing. They found no inner ear issues but did find one 7mm met on the left frontal lobe. This took from me from 3C(diagnosed June 2010) to stage 4. Subsequent PET/CT scans have shown no other mets. In May I had the brain met zapped with a Gamma knife and that appears now to be stable. My oncologist is recommending Yervoy as a way to finish off the one met that I have and to put the brakes on progression.

I had a brain MRI in April to check for issues that might cause the ear-ringing I am experiencing. They found no inner ear issues but did find one 7mm met on the left frontal lobe. This took from me from 3C(diagnosed June 2010) to stage 4. Subsequent PET/CT scans have shown no other mets. In May I had the brain met zapped with a Gamma knife and that appears now to be stable. My oncologist is recommending Yervoy as a way to finish off the one met that I have and to put the brakes on progression. Has anyone here used Yervoy in a similar situation?  Given the possibile side-effects of Yervoy, I am weighing the options of only using Yervoy IF something else presents vs using it now and taking the risk of an immune system run amok…. Any thoughts?

Alan

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        cfw9186
        Participant

I would go with the IPI, I started IPI in May, did my 4 but ended up with multiple brain mets, that is a long story, but if you only have I I believe the IPI would be worth it.  I had no side effects to the IPI except it blew out my pituitary gland which we now replace with pit hormones……but I feel better and my Ipi seems to be shrinking my other lumps, still waiting to see how the brain mets are doing on my chemo, but I keep hope, have read some wonderful stuff about the IPI late responding on brain mets and in this disease seems hope is the holder.

Good luck to you, I am not a doctor just a partaker and remember we are all different and everything works different on others…….God Bless.

AlanM
            Participant

Thank you and good luck with shrinking those brain mets. 

AlanM
              Participant

Thank you and good luck with shrinking those brain mets. 

cfw9186
              Participant

I would go with the IPI, I started IPI in May, did my 4 but ended up with multiple brain mets, that is a long story, but if you only have I I believe the IPI would be worth it.  I had no side effects to the IPI except it blew out my pituitary gland which we now replace with pit hormones……but I feel better and my Ipi seems to be shrinking my other lumps, still waiting to see how the brain mets are doing on my chemo, but I keep hope, have read some wonderful stuff about the IPI late responding on brain mets and in this disease seems hope is the holder.

Good luck to you, I am not a doctor just a partaker and remember we are all different and everything works different on others…….God Bless.

nickmac56
                Participant

Stage 4 with brain mets – absolutely do Ipi (Yervoy). Otherwise you ware just waiting to play the zapping game and at some point there will be too many to zap. You've got to do a systemic treatment that at least has a chance of getting the disease in both the brain and body. And there have been reports of Ipi having some success with brain mets. It didn't work for my wife, but it's worth trying IMO.

AlanM
                    Participant

Thank you….looks like Ipi is in my near future. 

AlanM
                      Participant

Thank you….looks like Ipi is in my near future. 

nickmac56
                      Participant

Stage 4 with brain mets – absolutely do Ipi (Yervoy). Otherwise you ware just waiting to play the zapping game and at some point there will be too many to zap. You've got to do a systemic treatment that at least has a chance of getting the disease in both the brain and body. And there have been reports of Ipi having some success with brain mets. It didn't work for my wife, but it's worth trying IMO.

MaryBeth and Jeff
                        Participant

absolutely with the IPI….read my post where IPI curshed the braine mets Gamma alone would not have done that

MaryBeth and Jeff
                          Participant

absolutely with the IPI….read my post where IPI curshed the braine mets Gamma alone would not have done that

AlanM
                            Participant

I start the four dose treatment of Yervoy using 3mg/Kg on August 17th. Thank you for all of your feedback. 

Alan

cfw9186
                                Participant

I believe that is the best, seems that melanoma is a systemic cancer so to get those drugs in your system to fight it back are the best…..good luck to you.  And blessings.yes

cfw9186
                                  Participant

I believe that is the best, seems that melanoma is a systemic cancer so to get those drugs in your system to fight it back are the best…..good luck to you.  And blessings.yes

mclaus23
                                    Participant

I hope your first treatment went well!

mclaus23
                                      Participant

I hope your first treatment went well!

AlanM
                                      Participant

I start the four dose treatment of Yervoy using 3mg/Kg on August 17th. Thank you for all of your feedback. 

Alan

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics