The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife and Bio Chem

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife and Bio Chem

Participant

I am new to this board , have been following for some time now, but first time to post.I am in houston hotel awaiting my 3rd visit to MD Anderson, I had originally came here to start IPI Friday, but scan results thursday shows brain met, which is reason for gamma knife tomorrow. I was kinda of shocked by the news so did not ask alot of questions that i should have and i know you guys are full of great information.

So first question is for anyone who has had gamma knife procedure, exactly what is this? procedure? down time?etc.

I am new to this board , have been following for some time now, but first time to post.I am in houston hotel awaiting my 3rd visit to MD Anderson, I had originally came here to start IPI Friday, but scan results thursday shows brain met, which is reason for gamma knife tomorrow. I was kinda of shocked by the news so did not ask alot of questions that i should have and i know you guys are full of great information.

So first question is for anyone who has had gamma knife procedure, exactly what is this? procedure? down time?etc.

and the scarey question Bio Chem how bad is it really? I know every person is different but there are those symptoms that you can pretty much expect what are they???   please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance, I have not put anything on profile yet, but will. I am actually in lobby of hotel so limited on time. I will check back later and thanks again.

Laura

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        jimjoeb
        Participant

My prayers are with you!

I have no personal experience with this but found this link to explain what it is:

http://www.umm.edu/features/gamma_knife.htm

jimjoeb
          Participant

My prayers are with you!

I have no personal experience with this but found this link to explain what it is:

http://www.umm.edu/features/gamma_knife.htm

nickmac56
            Participant

tough news. The treatment doesn't hurt at all. You might lose hair.

Biggest issue is that you will be put on steroids after radiation because of inflammation of brain tumor area. That is a contraindicator for most immunotherapy. In trials and in practice using approved drugs like Interleukin 2 or Yervoy (Ipi) you usually have to be off them, and for at least thirty days. So I'd ask about that. You gotta do the brain zapping with either gamma or cyberknife (ask why not Cyberknife? ) so that is definitely the first step. But it might radically change your next treatment option from what you thought.

Nick

llw75751
                Participant

Thanks everybody, I feel better may be able to get some sleep tonight.

llw75751
                  Participant

Thanks everybody, I feel better may be able to get some sleep tonight.

nickmac56
                  Participant

tough news. The treatment doesn't hurt at all. You might lose hair.

Biggest issue is that you will be put on steroids after radiation because of inflammation of brain tumor area. That is a contraindicator for most immunotherapy. In trials and in practice using approved drugs like Interleukin 2 or Yervoy (Ipi) you usually have to be off them, and for at least thirty days. So I'd ask about that. You gotta do the brain zapping with either gamma or cyberknife (ask why not Cyberknife? ) so that is definitely the first step. But it might radically change your next treatment option from what you thought.

Nick

MaryBeth and Jeff
                    Participant

Dear Laura

My husband had Gamma Knife Surgery twice and tolerated both very very well. He did have a bit of a headache after the first one. Yes you will be put on steroids but they will taper you off of them as quickly as they possibly can. He was still able to receive his Yervoy/IPI treatments even while on the steroids.

MaryBeth and Jeff
                        Participant

My husband had no downtime from the Gamma (Other then the days of the treatment). He was back to work the next day after each treatment.

MaryBeth and Jeff
                          Participant

My husband had no downtime from the Gamma (Other then the days of the treatment). He was back to work the next day after each treatment.

MaryBeth and Jeff
                          Participant

Dear Laura

My husband had Gamma Knife Surgery twice and tolerated both very very well. He did have a bit of a headache after the first one. Yes you will be put on steroids but they will taper you off of them as quickly as they possibly can. He was still able to receive his Yervoy/IPI treatments even while on the steroids.

LBN
                            Participant

Hope it all went well for you! I have had two gamma knife sessions in the past two weeks for my two brain mets. I am also having radiation for other tumors at the same time and finish up with them tomorrow. I had no down time at all and did not lose any hair in the process. They did start me on Temodor but so far I am able to handle it. I am now not able to start up the esai trial I was hoping to start becasue of the the brain mets. Not sure what my next step is going to be. Hope you get to start your trial after this is all done.

LBN
                              Participant

Hope it all went well for you! I have had two gamma knife sessions in the past two weeks for my two brain mets. I am also having radiation for other tumors at the same time and finish up with them tomorrow. I had no down time at all and did not lose any hair in the process. They did start me on Temodor but so far I am able to handle it. I am now not able to start up the esai trial I was hoping to start becasue of the the brain mets. Not sure what my next step is going to be. Hope you get to start your trial after this is all done.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics