The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Further Excision for Atypical Nevi

Forums General Melanoma Community Further Excision for Atypical Nevi

Participant

Hi,

I was diagnosed and treated for superficial melanoma on my chest in 2012.  Doctor felt really good that it was all gone and have not had any reoccurrence in the area.  Since then I've gotten regular checkups and had a few things taken off that all came back benign. During my most recent vist, I had two moles "punched" out on my abdomen.  They came back atypical nevi.  I don't know the severity.  The doctor recommended given my melanoma diagnosis, that I should have these two areas treated with wider excisions.  Is that necessary given that I already know they are atypical nevi and are now gone?  I'm not sure how that could turn into melanoma if they are gone.  I do have a lot of moles, am fair skinned and freckled.  Any advice? Thanks.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

This is something from what I’ve read from other people that really seems to be handled inconsistently among doctors.  Since my mel diagnosis I’ve had lots of biopsies.  Some have come back mildly atypical, and they don’t even go back and re-excise, even when the biopsy margins were involved.  If it were moderately or severely atypical, they would.  But I’ve read other people say their doctor goes go back and re-excise even mildly atypical.  Odds are none of these things would have become melanoma, even if never biopsied to begin with.  But, with our melanoma diagnoses, we are treated more cautiously and we get many biopsies of things that they’d probably leave alone on other people. 

JC
          Participant

This is something from what I’ve read from other people that really seems to be handled inconsistently among doctors.  Since my mel diagnosis I’ve had lots of biopsies.  Some have come back mildly atypical, and they don’t even go back and re-excise, even when the biopsy margins were involved.  If it were moderately or severely atypical, they would.  But I’ve read other people say their doctor goes go back and re-excise even mildly atypical.  Odds are none of these things would have become melanoma, even if never biopsied to begin with.  But, with our melanoma diagnoses, we are treated more cautiously and we get many biopsies of things that they’d probably leave alone on other people. 

JC
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

There is no standard protocol for atypical nevi deemed mild or moderate but there is a recommendation for severely atypical nevi to have 5mm margins – just like melanoma in situ.  Atypical nevi have a higher likelihood to turn into melanoma and if there are cells left behind, that is the worry.  Were your margins clear?  It may be ok to just watch the two scar areas and if there is any sign of pigment regrowth, you could have them excised then.  I'd ask for copies of your pathology report (always a good idea) and discuss this more in depth with your doctor.  In the end, because of the real lack of formal guidelines (other than severely atypical), this is all about what makes YOU feel comfortable. 

Janner
                Participant

There is no standard protocol for atypical nevi deemed mild or moderate but there is a recommendation for severely atypical nevi to have 5mm margins – just like melanoma in situ.  Atypical nevi have a higher likelihood to turn into melanoma and if there are cells left behind, that is the worry.  Were your margins clear?  It may be ok to just watch the two scar areas and if there is any sign of pigment regrowth, you could have them excised then.  I'd ask for copies of your pathology report (always a good idea) and discuss this more in depth with your doctor.  In the end, because of the real lack of formal guidelines (other than severely atypical), this is all about what makes YOU feel comfortable. 

Janner
                  Participant

POW
                    Participant

Janner is our resident expert on all things melanoma, especially nevi. I suggest that you follow her advice. Get a copy of your path report. Find out the severity of the atypia (mild, moderate or severe). Find out if the atypical cells extended to the margins of the biopsy specimen. Then think about your doctor's recommendation and how comfortable you are with getting wide excisions or just remaining vigilant about changes. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer here. 

POW
                      Participant

Janner is our resident expert on all things melanoma, especially nevi. I suggest that you follow her advice. Get a copy of your path report. Find out the severity of the atypia (mild, moderate or severe). Find out if the atypical cells extended to the margins of the biopsy specimen. Then think about your doctor's recommendation and how comfortable you are with getting wide excisions or just remaining vigilant about changes. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer here. 

POW
                        Participant

SPier
                          Participant

Thank you all for helpful replies.  I now understand why further excision might be necessary as a "punch" might not have gotten everything.  I will find out what type of nevi it is and discuss further with my doctor.  Thanks again.

SPier
                            Participant

Thank you all for helpful replies.  I now understand why further excision might be necessary as a "punch" might not have gotten everything.  I will find out what type of nevi it is and discuss further with my doctor.  Thanks again.

SPier
                              Participant

Swanee
                                Participant

This was my experience.  One year before I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, I had a mammogram that showed some sort of calcification they recognized as a potential problem.  A biopsy was performed and the pathology came back "atypical" with no other indication, but could be a precancerous situation and should be watched.  I was scheduled for mammograms every 3 months after that, but only completed one due to insurance coverage change.  Exactly one year later, I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma from a subcutaneous tumor that appeared on my rib cage.  A PET scan revealed two more tumors in my breast, exactly where the biopsy was done one year previous.  I'm not suggesting this is your situation but certainly once "atypical" shows up and you have a melanoma history,  it is certainly reasonable why you would be concerned and should be watched closely!  If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would go for wide excisions.  I've had a lot of tumors removed (17) and just underwent a  right axilla LND (lymph node dissection) 13 of the 25 lymph nodes were positive for melanoma and I've been in this battle for 4 years!  Hope this helps!

Swanee

Swanee
                                  Participant

This was my experience.  One year before I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, I had a mammogram that showed some sort of calcification they recognized as a potential problem.  A biopsy was performed and the pathology came back "atypical" with no other indication, but could be a precancerous situation and should be watched.  I was scheduled for mammograms every 3 months after that, but only completed one due to insurance coverage change.  Exactly one year later, I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma from a subcutaneous tumor that appeared on my rib cage.  A PET scan revealed two more tumors in my breast, exactly where the biopsy was done one year previous.  I'm not suggesting this is your situation but certainly once "atypical" shows up and you have a melanoma history,  it is certainly reasonable why you would be concerned and should be watched closely!  If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would go for wide excisions.  I've had a lot of tumors removed (17) and just underwent a  right axilla LND (lymph node dissection) 13 of the 25 lymph nodes were positive for melanoma and I've been in this battle for 4 years!  Hope this helps!

Swanee

JC
                                      Participant

Some people just produce atypical nevi.  If you went and had all of them biopsied, many might come back atypical, and would never have turned into melanoma.  Get wide excisions on all of them and pretty soon you have no skin left.  Make sure you trust the pathologist doing your pathology, and your doctor. 

JC
                                        Participant

Some people just produce atypical nevi.  If you went and had all of them biopsied, many might come back atypical, and would never have turned into melanoma.  Get wide excisions on all of them and pretty soon you have no skin left.  Make sure you trust the pathologist doing your pathology, and your doctor. 

JC
                                          Participant

POW
                                            Participant

Well, I'm not sure that I agree that "Some people just produce atypical nevi." As Janner said, there is a lot of confusion and controversy about the relationship between nevi and melanoma. However, indications are that people with many "common" nevi (i.e., >40) have a slightly increased risk of someday developing melanoma while people with many "dysplastic nevi" (i.e., >5) have a significantly greater risk of someday developing melanoma (see the review article from the National Cancer Institute at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3234163/ ).

Note that this article does not say that any given dysplastic nevus will evolve into melanoma. What it says is that people whose genetic makeup tends to produce dysplastic nevi also tend to develop melanoma at rates greater than the general population.

Dysplastic nevi look different from common nevi so the chances of someone having dozens of needless biopsies of what turn out to be common nevi is slight. I do agree, however, that if someone has a hsitory of melanoma or a history of more than one dysplastic nevus, they should make sure that they start going regularly to a dermatologist with a lot of experience with melanoma. Dysplastic nevi (not common nevi) are a warning sign that you need to be vigilant.

POW
                                              Participant

Well, I'm not sure that I agree that "Some people just produce atypical nevi." As Janner said, there is a lot of confusion and controversy about the relationship between nevi and melanoma. However, indications are that people with many "common" nevi (i.e., >40) have a slightly increased risk of someday developing melanoma while people with many "dysplastic nevi" (i.e., >5) have a significantly greater risk of someday developing melanoma (see the review article from the National Cancer Institute at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3234163/ ).

Note that this article does not say that any given dysplastic nevus will evolve into melanoma. What it says is that people whose genetic makeup tends to produce dysplastic nevi also tend to develop melanoma at rates greater than the general population.

Dysplastic nevi look different from common nevi so the chances of someone having dozens of needless biopsies of what turn out to be common nevi is slight. I do agree, however, that if someone has a hsitory of melanoma or a history of more than one dysplastic nevus, they should make sure that they start going regularly to a dermatologist with a lot of experience with melanoma. Dysplastic nevi (not common nevi) are a warning sign that you need to be vigilant.

POW
                                                Participant

JC
                                                  Participant

My dysplastic nevi don't look different from common nevi, I believe I've had many needless biopsies.

POW
                                                    Participant

I don't want to quibble, but I can't let misinformation– especially frightening misinformation– go unchallenged. For information and photographs about how to distinguish common nevi from displastic nevi see the NCI publication: "Common Moles, Dysplastic Nevi, and Risk of Melanoma" at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/moles

Nothing in biology is 100% so maybe you are someone whose dysplastic nevi look the same as common nevi. But that is not the case for most people. 

POW
                                                      Participant

I don't want to quibble, but I can't let misinformation– especially frightening misinformation– go unchallenged. For information and photographs about how to distinguish common nevi from displastic nevi see the NCI publication: "Common Moles, Dysplastic Nevi, and Risk of Melanoma" at http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/moles

Nothing in biology is 100% so maybe you are someone whose dysplastic nevi look the same as common nevi. But that is not the case for most people. 

POW
                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                          Participant

I've never had a needless biopsy.  I'm the one in charge.  My doc and I discuss everything and only biopsy things that change.  That's our strategy and he doesn't call the shots, I do.  I found my three primaries and expect to find any additional ones if that happens.  I don't rely on any doc for just a visual opinion without proof of change.  I rely on me knowing my body.  I've never had a benign biopsy – either melanoma or dysplastic.  Even changing moles don't have to be melanoma, but they are certainly high risk.  Not all of my dysplastic nevi look "different" with a casual glance, but if you really look closely, I can see differences from "normal" and dysplastic.

Janner
                                                            Participant

I've never had a needless biopsy.  I'm the one in charge.  My doc and I discuss everything and only biopsy things that change.  That's our strategy and he doesn't call the shots, I do.  I found my three primaries and expect to find any additional ones if that happens.  I don't rely on any doc for just a visual opinion without proof of change.  I rely on me knowing my body.  I've never had a benign biopsy – either melanoma or dysplastic.  Even changing moles don't have to be melanoma, but they are certainly high risk.  Not all of my dysplastic nevi look "different" with a casual glance, but if you really look closely, I can see differences from "normal" and dysplastic.

Janner
                                                              Participant

Janner
                                                                Participant

Oops, sorry for the multiple posts.  It didn't appear to accept the first one let alone the third one!  surprise

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Oops, sorry for the multiple posts.  It didn't appear to accept the first one let alone the third one!  surprise

Janner
                                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                                          Participant

Janner
                                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                                              Participant

Janner
                                                                                Participant

JC
                                                                                  Participant

My dysplastic nevi don't look different from common nevi, I believe I've had many needless biopsies.

JC
                                                                                    Participant

grahamtosh
                                                                                      Participant

Hi I had 2 melanomas removed last year and now and due to have 17 lesions that look like DN excised with margins . Not sure if this is overkill ? Anonymous above says ' make sure you trust your doctor and pathologist '. Do you mean I need to check if they are lying ? How the hell do I do that ? Thanks 

grahamtosh
                                                                                        Participant

Hi I had 2 melanomas removed last year and now and due to have 17 lesions that look like DN excised with margins . Not sure if this is overkill ? Anonymous above says ' make sure you trust your doctor and pathologist '. Do you mean I need to check if they are lying ? How the hell do I do that ? Thanks 

grahamtosh
                                                                                          Participant

Swanee
                                                                                          Participant

Swanee

Colleen66
                                                                                            Participant

Since my diagnosis in August of 2012 I've had five additional biopsies.  Two of the five were dysplastic nevi and were further excised.  The scars are about 2 inches long, no biggie.  To me, the moles all looked the same.  I would not have guessed those two would be dysplastic.  I am stage 3b and currently NED and see my Derm every 3 months.  Personally, I will never hesitate to have a dysplastic further excised.  The scars don't change me, just my skin.

Colleen

Colleen66
                                                                                              Participant

Since my diagnosis in August of 2012 I've had five additional biopsies.  Two of the five were dysplastic nevi and were further excised.  The scars are about 2 inches long, no biggie.  To me, the moles all looked the same.  I would not have guessed those two would be dysplastic.  I am stage 3b and currently NED and see my Derm every 3 months.  Personally, I will never hesitate to have a dysplastic further excised.  The scars don't change me, just my skin.

Colleen

Colleen66
                                                                                                Participant

Colleen

Hstevens0072
                                                                                                    Participant

I'm with you Colleen.  When it doubt I have it taken out and excised.  It helps me sleep at night.

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                                                                                      Participant

I'm with you Colleen.  When it doubt I have it taken out and excised.  It helps me sleep at night.

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                                                                                        Participant

Holly

JC
                                                                                                        Participant

what's the difference between "Clark's nevus" and "dysplastic nevus?"

JC
                                                                                                          Participant

JC
                                                                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                                                                                Participant

Nothing.  Clark's Nevus is just an older term mostly replaced by "dysplastic" or "atypical" now.

Janner
                                                                                                                  Participant

Nothing.  Clark's Nevus is just an older term mostly replaced by "dysplastic" or "atypical" now.

Janner
                                                                                                                    Participant

JC
                                                                                                                      Participant

If Clark's is dysplastic, then either my pathologist is very liberal in using "Clark's" or almost every biopsy I've had in the last 2+ years has been dysplastic (almost all have said "Clark's").  Sometimes it's all excised with the biopsy, sometimes not. . but they still never recommend any further excision.

JC
                                                                                                                        Participant

If Clark's is dysplastic, then either my pathologist is very liberal in using "Clark's" or almost every biopsy I've had in the last 2+ years has been dysplastic (almost all have said "Clark's").  Sometimes it's all excised with the biopsy, sometimes not. . but they still never recommend any further excision.

JC
                                                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics