The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Full Body Check

Forums General Melanoma Community Full Body Check

Participant

I'm having mine today. Did you have yours recently? Soon? Don't forget!

I'm having mine today. Did you have yours recently? Soon? Don't forget!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Both of my husband's parents died of cancer at young ages (lung and breast). My husband had a melanoma in situ 15 years ago. Since then, I do a full body scan on him every month. I drew a map and mark each spot/mole/"funny-looking-thing" and I be sure to check my map every month for changes. Then my husband brings the map to his dermatologist every 6 months and the doctor says "hemangioma" or "actinic keratosis" or he removes the spot. The map is pretty dog-eared by now but both the dermatologist and I are so familiar with it that I hate to redraw it. 

I'll be darned if I'm going to lose my husband to melanoma!! 

POW
          Participant

Both of my husband's parents died of cancer at young ages (lung and breast). My husband had a melanoma in situ 15 years ago. Since then, I do a full body scan on him every month. I drew a map and mark each spot/mole/"funny-looking-thing" and I be sure to check my map every month for changes. Then my husband brings the map to his dermatologist every 6 months and the doctor says "hemangioma" or "actinic keratosis" or he removes the spot. The map is pretty dog-eared by now but both the dermatologist and I are so familiar with it that I hate to redraw it. 

BillMFl
              Participant

I think you are remarkable. My wife and I (she is a breast cancer survivor) both check each other, especially any new spots  . Had a few precancerous (AK's) frozen yesterday. Thankfully its been a year without a positive and thats a long time clear for me. Your mapping might seem extreme to some, but I think its great.

Janner
                Participant

You should have posted this on the main board, Bill!  It isn't "off topic".  Glad you've been "negative" for a while now!  πŸ™‚

BillMFl
                  Participant

Well you know me so well and you know almost everything I have to say is waaay off topic.  Hit any good trails lately? I didn't make it out west last year for the first time in a long time. Pondering an RV trip to Alaska maybe this year. Do you keep in touch with Vickie? Didn't make it to her store when I was in Maui last year. She was out when I called an may not of gotten my message.

BillMFl
                    Participant

Well you know me so well and you know almost everything I have to say is waaay off topic.  Hit any good trails lately? I didn't make it out west last year for the first time in a long time. Pondering an RV trip to Alaska maybe this year. Do you keep in touch with Vickie? Didn't make it to her store when I was in Maui last year. She was out when I called an may not of gotten my message.

Janner
                      Participant

The last couple of years, my explorations have taken a different turn.  Lets say your RV wouldn't work.  Exploring more BLM, desert and less populated areas.  It's been a riot minus a few wildlife encounters.  Yes, I still hear from Vickie on occasion.  Tourism has picked up again which has been good for her.  Alaska in the summer sounds fantastic.  I did a cruise there, once, and would love to go back where I could explore a little further.

Cheers!

Janner
                        Participant

The last couple of years, my explorations have taken a different turn.  Lets say your RV wouldn't work.  Exploring more BLM, desert and less populated areas.  It's been a riot minus a few wildlife encounters.  Yes, I still hear from Vickie on occasion.  Tourism has picked up again which has been good for her.  Alaska in the summer sounds fantastic.  I did a cruise there, once, and would love to go back where I could explore a little further.

Cheers!

Janner
                          Participant

Cheers!

BillMFl
                            Participant

Janner
                              Participant

You should have posted this on the main board, Bill!  It isn't "off topic".  Glad you've been "negative" for a while now!  πŸ™‚

Janner
                                Participant

POW
                                  Participant

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate the kudos.

I did have to laugh when you said that my mapping system "might seem extreme" to some. It is an interesting commentary on our society that drawing an outline of the human figure and placing numbered dots on it to represent items of interest is extreme. However, spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to have someone take photographs of every inch of your body to produce a "Mole Map" is cutting-edge technolgy. Go figure.

If my husband was considered to be high risk for new melanomas (based on genetics, medical history, chronic sun exposure, etc) the professional digital system would be the way to go. But I'm just keeping a look-out on a normal guy. And besides, when I do the whole body scans, it's more fun for the both of us! smiley

BillMFl
                                    Participant

Too funny! Another version of show and tell. πŸ™‚  I was one of the first in Tampa to have Dermal Screening . Got it for free because of my contacts at Moffit (volunteer of the year back then) and agreeing to a TV interview. Still have pics and a CD but haven't done the follow up. After volunteering in the Moffit cutaneous clinic for two years I've pretty much seen it all.  Its better to be your own advocate and self moniter and use regular monitering by a Derm as a back up.

BillMFl
                                      Participant

Too funny! Another version of show and tell. πŸ™‚  I was one of the first in Tampa to have Dermal Screening . Got it for free because of my contacts at Moffit (volunteer of the year back then) and agreeing to a TV interview. Still have pics and a CD but haven't done the follow up. After volunteering in the Moffit cutaneous clinic for two years I've pretty much seen it all.  Its better to be your own advocate and self moniter and use regular monitering by a Derm as a back up.

BillMFl
                                        Participant

POW
                                          Participant

I did have to laugh when you said that my mapping system "might seem extreme" to some. It is an interesting commentary on our society that drawing an outline of the human figure and placing numbered dots on it to represent items of interest is extreme. However, spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to have someone take photographs of every inch of your body to produce a "Mole Map" is cutting-edge technolgy. Go figure.

If my husband was considered to be high risk for new melanomas (based on genetics, medical history, chronic sun exposure, etc) the professional digital system would be the way to go. But I'm just keeping a look-out on a normal guy. And besides, when I do the whole body scans, it's more fun for the both of us! smiley

POW
                                            Participant

BillMFl
                                              Participant

I think you are remarkable. My wife and I (she is a breast cancer survivor) both check each other, especially any new spots  . Had a few precancerous (AK's) frozen yesterday. Thankfully its been a year without a positive and thats a long time clear for me. Your mapping might seem extreme to some, but I think its great.

BillMFl
                                                Participant

POW
                                                Participant

Bonnie Lea
                                                  Participant

OK THEN  what is a true full body check…..(female)  nebber had that  always thought so, dunno if it is 100% nudy petooty which I dunno if I could do.

Bonnie Lea
                                                    Participant

OK THEN  what is a true full body check…..(female)  nebber had that  always thought so, dunno if it is 100% nudy petooty which I dunno if I could do.

Bonnie Lea
                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics