The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Friend has single lung mass what to do? History of stage 3a melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Friend has single lung mass what to do? History of stage 3a melanoma

Participant
      Hi everyone a good friend of mine was diagnosed last year with stage 3a melanoma he decided not to do interferon did lymph node dissection and all nodes clean only micro amount in sentinel node. He has been getting CT chest every 3 months and it was clear in march. Just this past week he had a CT chest scan that revealed he has a 2.5th metastatic mass in his right lung. He is having PET scan and MRI head to make sure it’s not anywhere else. Could any of u please tell me what the next steps usually are if this is the only metastaic lesion.

Hi everyone a good friend of mine was diagnosed last year with stage 3a melanoma he decided not to do interferon did lymph node dissection and all nodes clean only micro amount in sentinel node. He has been getting CT chest every 3 months and it was clear in march. Just this past week he had a CT chest scan that revealed he has a 2.5th metastatic mass in his right lung. He is having PET scan and MRI head to make sure it’s not anywhere else. Could any of u please tell me what the next steps usually are if this is the only metastaic lesion. Do they usually take a wedge segment out of the lung? And what treatments have u don’t that has worked or responded to? Thanks so much!!!!!! It’s crazy we both work together and have both been dealing with melanoma. He is 32 btw and I’m 29 diagnosed at age 24.

Thanks
      Alicia NED stage 3 with 3 primaries

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        MariaH
        Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  We are currently at the same crossroads with my husband Dave.  I think if they can surgically remove it, that is your best bet.  Unfortunately they can't for my husband.  If they can't remove it, a systematic treatment will be his best bet – and there are actually alot of options out there.  Choosing one will be difficult, but knowing there is another out there that may work is the first doesn't is somewhat reassuring.

Best wishes for the both of you. 

Maria

alicia
            Participant
              Thanks so much for your reply Maria. So sorry to hear about your husband. My friend will be going to Vanderbilt in 2 wks to see what they offer. I hope they can operate sounds like the best option. I will try to help him get a profile set up here maybe u can communicate with each other. Best wishes to u and your husband

Much love
              Alicia

alicia
              Participant
                Thanks so much for your reply Maria. So sorry to hear about your husband. My friend will be going to Vanderbilt in 2 wks to see what they offer. I hope they can operate sounds like the best option. I will try to help him get a profile set up here maybe u can communicate with each other. Best wishes to u and your husband

Much love
                Alicia

MariaH
              Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  We are currently at the same crossroads with my husband Dave.  I think if they can surgically remove it, that is your best bet.  Unfortunately they can't for my husband.  If they can't remove it, a systematic treatment will be his best bet – and there are actually alot of options out there.  Choosing one will be difficult, but knowing there is another out there that may work is the first doesn't is somewhat reassuring.

Best wishes for the both of you. 

Maria

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

They may well do another scan before an operation to double check for any more hot spots.  If there is only one spot they may well operate to remove it and look at the inside of his lung visually when they operate.  If a scan shows multiple locations in several lobes in only one lung they might remove one entire lung.  The other option and certainly what will be done if they were to find multiple spots in both lungs (as they did in my lungs over 4 years ago) they will want to start systemic treatment. 

One thing they need to learn immediately is what type mutations he may have.  Melanoma is not  one disease.  There can be many diferent mutations and only a few and their signaling paths are well enough known to have targeted therapies to attack the specific DNA mutations in ones tumors.  There are targeted drugs that have recently been being tested and used for the BRAF and C-Kit melanoma mutations on a systemic basis.  There are many treatments that work on a few patients and why they work on some and not others are  not currently known..  The two immunological treatments that work (some times fully, sometimes partially and sometiimes not at all) on the largest number of melanoma patients are IL-2 and the newly approved Yervoy.

Even if the melanoma cannot be eradicated, it does not necessarily mean a death sentence and certainly not always an immediate one..  I ain't quit living YET!

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

They may well do another scan before an operation to double check for any more hot spots.  If there is only one spot they may well operate to remove it and look at the inside of his lung visually when they operate.  If a scan shows multiple locations in several lobes in only one lung they might remove one entire lung.  The other option and certainly what will be done if they were to find multiple spots in both lungs (as they did in my lungs over 4 years ago) they will want to start systemic treatment. 

One thing they need to learn immediately is what type mutations he may have.  Melanoma is not  one disease.  There can be many diferent mutations and only a few and their signaling paths are well enough known to have targeted therapies to attack the specific DNA mutations in ones tumors.  There are targeted drugs that have recently been being tested and used for the BRAF and C-Kit melanoma mutations on a systemic basis.  There are many treatments that work on a few patients and why they work on some and not others are  not currently known..  The two immunological treatments that work (some times fully, sometimes partially and sometiimes not at all) on the largest number of melanoma patients are IL-2 and the newly approved Yervoy.

Even if the melanoma cannot be eradicated, it does not necessarily mean a death sentence and certainly not always an immediate one..  I ain't quit living YET!

Sandy11
                    Participant

Hi Alicia,

My husband was recently diagnosed with a 2.5 met in one lung and a 7.5 met in the other. The thorasic surgeon was not confident he could get the 7.5 met without taking a lobe.  My husband opted for an ablation which was performed on the 7.5 met last Tuesday. This procedure involved "microwaving" the tumor.  It is very similar to the actual biopsy experience.  The 2nd tumor will go through the same procedure next Tuesday.  He was able to come home that afternoon and back at work within a couple of days.

Good luck with the decision.  There seem to be many options. 

Sandy

Sandy11
                      Participant

Hi Alicia,

My husband was recently diagnosed with a 2.5 met in one lung and a 7.5 met in the other. The thorasic surgeon was not confident he could get the 7.5 met without taking a lobe.  My husband opted for an ablation which was performed on the 7.5 met last Tuesday. This procedure involved "microwaving" the tumor.  It is very similar to the actual biopsy experience.  The 2nd tumor will go through the same procedure next Tuesday.  He was able to come home that afternoon and back at work within a couple of days.

Good luck with the decision.  There seem to be many options. 

Sandy

kylez
                        Participant

I was diagnosed in 2010 with 8 smaller (than your friend's) lesions in my lungs. This was after having two independent stage I primaries. They were not willing to declare the lung lesions "melanoma" (nor treat for metastatic melanoma) until they positively confirmed that was the case. They did that via a Video Assisted Thorascopic Surgery (VATS) procedure. That confirmed as melanoma, and opened the door (for me) to stage IV treatments.

They didn't try to resect all 8 lesions because they felt it was probably more spread than could be detected via scan (i.e. microscopic). Instead, we went for a systemic treatment. In 2010 my choices were biochemo and IL-2, I chose IL-2 (and responded — in my lungs.) In 2011 there's at least a third systemic choice — ipilimumab/yervoy.

And there are some interesting clinical trials. They could potentially havest tumor infiltrating lymphocytes from your friend's large tumor and do a systemic treatment called adoptive cell transfer (ACT). In particular:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00338377

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01005745

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00513604

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01236573

And then there's the BRAF inhibitor trials like those for PLX4032. And other non-BRAF-specific trials like MDX-1106 and E7080. And there's a lot more clinical trials than that, the ones I mention are the ones that have caught my eye for my own specific circumstances.

Hopefully your friend has a melanoma-specializing oncologist who can help guide him through the maze of choices to those choices that have the best odds for his specific melanoma traits.

kylez
                            Participant

Oops, scratch the first study link (NCD00338377) — it's for stage III not stage IV.

kylez
                              Participant

Un-oops… I missed that it was metastatic melanoma (i.e. stage IV) or stage III. So all four links should be valid trials for variations of the systemic ACT/TIL treatment.

kylez
                                Participant

Un-oops… I missed that it was metastatic melanoma (i.e. stage IV) or stage III. So all four links should be valid trials for variations of the systemic ACT/TIL treatment.

kylez
                                  Participant

Oops, scratch the first study link (NCD00338377) — it's for stage III not stage IV.

kylez
                                  Participant

I was diagnosed in 2010 with 8 smaller (than your friend's) lesions in my lungs. This was after having two independent stage I primaries. They were not willing to declare the lung lesions "melanoma" (nor treat for metastatic melanoma) until they positively confirmed that was the case. They did that via a Video Assisted Thorascopic Surgery (VATS) procedure. That confirmed as melanoma, and opened the door (for me) to stage IV treatments.

They didn't try to resect all 8 lesions because they felt it was probably more spread than could be detected via scan (i.e. microscopic). Instead, we went for a systemic treatment. In 2010 my choices were biochemo and IL-2, I chose IL-2 (and responded — in my lungs.) In 2011 there's at least a third systemic choice — ipilimumab/yervoy.

And there are some interesting clinical trials. They could potentially havest tumor infiltrating lymphocytes from your friend's large tumor and do a systemic treatment called adoptive cell transfer (ACT). In particular:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00338377

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01005745

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00513604

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01236573

And then there's the BRAF inhibitor trials like those for PLX4032. And other non-BRAF-specific trials like MDX-1106 and E7080. And there's a lot more clinical trials than that, the ones I mention are the ones that have caught my eye for my own specific circumstances.

Hopefully your friend has a melanoma-specializing oncologist who can help guide him through the maze of choices to those choices that have the best odds for his specific melanoma traits.

Jamie Martini
                                    Participant
                                      I have stage 2c melanoma with new lesions in my lungs, lymph node was indeterminate, and all I do is get ct scan after ct scan, recently had positive colon cancer screening. I am supposedly away on of the best cancer centers, but I feel like they’re just tapping out my insurance, only treatment ive had for 8.3am nodular melanoma was surgery AND following up with scan after scan. Last one was suspicious for metatsty in my lungs. Should I get a second opinion? Fred hutch in Seattle just seems to be r running me in circles.
                                  Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics