The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

frequency of scans after adjuvant therapy

Forums General Melanoma Community frequency of scans after adjuvant therapy

Participant

Hi everyone!!  

My son has 5 more Opdivo treatments to complete his one year of adjuvant therapy for Stage 3b….we have been counting down the treatments but as it gets closer I find myself getting so nervous about completing treatment.  It will be a very bittersweet milestone for me….my son can’t wait to be finished, he’s 18 now and ready to move on from this whole thing. I on the other hand am having such anxiety…at least with treatment I felt like we were actively doing something to fight this monster off. 

6 months into his treatment he had CT scans of his brain, his neck and his chest and abdomen…all clear. His primary site was on his scalp. We are going to have repeat scans again in May.  

i am just wondering  how often everyone went or is going  for scans upon completion of adjuvant therapy for similar staging. I know adjuvant therapy is relatively new for Stage 3….I’m thinking when we aren’t treating i would like scans every 3 months for at least a year, just not sure insurance will agree with me.  

Kelly 🙂 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        kst
        Participant

I have scans every 3 months for 2 years after my treatment ended.  Insurance should not be an issue.  MRI yearly.

Susanne

Linny
          Participant

Hi Kelly,

My scan schedule went like this:

Year 1: Every 4 months

Year 2: Every 3 months

Years 3-5: Every 6 months

Years 5-10: Opted to stay with every 6 months, though I was given an option of going to annual scans. I am at this point. Only 3 more visits until I move to annual scans!

Years 10+: Annual scans 

Based on posts I've read here, while there may be some variances here and there the one thing these schedules all have in common is that they decrease over time. Statistically, the highest odds of recurrence happen within the first two years, hence the freqency. Also, a good thing to know is the the longer you go without a recurrence, the odds of having a recurrence decrease.

I've never had a problem with insurance coverage. I only get the ultra high contrast CT. But again, based on posts I've read here, some folks have had problems with PET scans being covered at frequent intervals. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics