The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

For those who’ve had craniotomies and/ or gamma knife and SRS

Forums General Melanoma Community For those who’ve had craniotomies and/ or gamma knife and SRS

Participant
      I’m back on the board at the moment mostly to support a colleague who’s recently progressed to stage IV with 3 brain mets. He’s had a recent craniotomy and 2 days ago had gamma knife/SRS. He’s reporting feeling very “disconnected”….irritable, finding lights and noises very irritating. He especially mentioned that human voices sound like bad digital phone call signals….so everyone is hard to listen to.

If you’ve had similar treatment, can you let me know if you’ve had similar sequelae, and if possible, how long they lasted for ? I think he (we) are realistic that with the surgery and steroids, it’s to be expected that there will be sensory consequences, but as you probably know, it’s just one more thing that’s a sign of the way things are and I know he’d like some idea of when it might scale back or wear off…..

Any comments or encouragement would be welcome. I’ve been combing past responses to find good outcomes to share with him…

Thanks in advance for any replies

AlisonC
      Stage IIIB
      NED since 2001

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        robyn44
        Participant

Hi- I have had 5 crain's, 3 gamma knife procedures. I leave for MD Anderson in am for 6th c rani on Thurs.I have exerienced what you are describing. Noise and voices are hard to tolerate. It is also hard to hear and/or understnad what people are saying if there is any background noise.  The irriability gets better once off steroids. 2 days post surgery/gamma knife is not much. He will be tired and grumpy for a few weeks. Gamma Knife fatigue sets in usually 1-2 weeks post procedure. Everyone responds differntly. I recover very well from Crain's. Gamma Knife resuls in hair loss for me and sig. fatigue for a few weeks. It is worse when the gamma knife follows the crani instead of gamma knife first and then crani. Hope he feels better soon. My "village" juat tell everyone to try to be quiet and patient during these timesz. For me the symptoms resolve within a few weeks. Take Care- Robyn

Phil S
            Participant
              Phil had craniotomy six weeks ago, and then WBR which just finished on a week ago. He hates loud noises, and just rejected my attempt to entertain us here in Houston by going to the movie, Footloose. He figured there would be loud music in the movie, and that still bugs him. But, he is feeling better each day, and getting less sensitive to noise!

Robyn, we are still in Houston, awaiting admission to hospital Friday for biochemo. If you are up to a visit this week, just let me know. We could meet for tea! Good luck this week! Valerie ( Phil’s wife)

Phil S
              Participant
                Phil had craniotomy six weeks ago, and then WBR which just finished on a week ago. He hates loud noises, and just rejected my attempt to entertain us here in Houston by going to the movie, Footloose. He figured there would be loud music in the movie, and that still bugs him. But, he is feeling better each day, and getting less sensitive to noise!

Robyn, we are still in Houston, awaiting admission to hospital Friday for biochemo. If you are up to a visit this week, just let me know. We could meet for tea! Good luck this week! Valerie ( Phil’s wife)

Phil S
                Participant

robyn44
                Participant

Hi- I have had 5 crain's, 3 gamma knife procedures. I leave for MD Anderson in am for 6th c rani on Thurs.I have exerienced what you are describing. Noise and voices are hard to tolerate. It is also hard to hear and/or understnad what people are saying if there is any background noise.  The irriability gets better once off steroids. 2 days post surgery/gamma knife is not much. He will be tired and grumpy for a few weeks. Gamma Knife fatigue sets in usually 1-2 weeks post procedure. Everyone responds differntly. I recover very well from Crain's. Gamma Knife resuls in hair loss for me and sig. fatigue for a few weeks. It is worse when the gamma knife follows the crani instead of gamma knife first and then crani. Hope he feels better soon. My "village" juat tell everyone to try to be quiet and patient during these timesz. For me the symptoms resolve within a few weeks. Take Care- Robyn

robyn44
                  Participant

cltml
                    Participant

I had a craneotomy followed two weeks later by gamma knife for a 1 CM met in the back of my brain, right at the surface.  I was lucky and had none of the side effects that you describe.  My only side effect was a small vision cut out in the periphery of one eye.  My guess is that side effects vary with location and size of the tumor bed.  Good luck!

cltml

cltml
                      Participant

I had a craneotomy followed two weeks later by gamma knife for a 1 CM met in the back of my brain, right at the surface.  I was lucky and had none of the side effects that you describe.  My only side effect was a small vision cut out in the periphery of one eye.  My guess is that side effects vary with location and size of the tumor bed.  Good luck!

cltml

cltml
                        Participant

cltml

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics