The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Focal ulceration

Forums General Melanoma Community Focal ulceration

Participant
      I was rereading my path report from a year ago and I noticed that it stated focal ulceration instead of just ulcerated. What is the difference between focal ulceration and just saying ulceration? Is it a more specific term? Any insight would be appreciated.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I think it means in one particular area, instead of the whole thing.  Sometimes you see "focal regression" too, which means a focus of regression was seen in one area but not throughout.

Germer
            Participant

Do you think that focal ulceration has a better or worse prognosis that just ulceration or does it not matter how the melanoma is ulcerated, just that there is ulceration?

JC
              Participant

I'm not sure.  I believe with regression, it's better to have focal regression than extensive regression.  I would think focal ulceration is better than extensive ulceration.

JC
                Participant

I'm not sure.  I believe with regression, it's better to have focal regression than extensive regression.  I would think focal ulceration is better than extensive ulceration.

JC
                  Participant

Germer
                    Participant

Do you think that focal ulceration has a better or worse prognosis that just ulceration or does it not matter how the melanoma is ulcerated, just that there is ulceration?

Germer
                      Participant

JC
                      Participant

I think it means in one particular area, instead of the whole thing.  Sometimes you see "focal regression" too, which means a focus of regression was seen in one area but not throughout.

JC
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics