The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Five years at Stage Four

Forums General Melanoma Community Five years at Stage Four

Participant

Hi all,

I used to read this board regularly but found myself staying away after my brother's death last year.  But today I am celebrating an anniversary that few folks can appreciate.  I found lots of encouragement from this group when I was diagnosed so maybe someone will be encouraged by my news.  Five years ago, a chest X-Ray showed a suspicious spot in the upper lobe of my right lung.  I was misdiagnosed for a while.  But eventually it was determined that that spot was melanoma with an unknown primary.  So I have been living with Stage IV metastatic melanoma for five years now.  I currently am feeling fine though I continue to have the disease.  I will be getting new scans on the eleventh so I'll know more after that.  My most recent scans were promising around Easter as they showed no new Mets and all pre-existing mets were either resolved or smaller.  My current treatment plan is Taf/MEK and Keytruda.  I am comfortable with this treatment and have experienced minimal adverse side effects, namely fevers which have been stopped with low-dose prednisone.  I do not currently have a "Plan B" set up in the event my current approach were to stop working for me and would love to hear any suggestions any of you might have.  I hope you all are doing well.

Cheers,

Maggie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Maggie, I like the program that you are on!!! Dr. Weber did a presentation at the angeles clinic not that long ago talking about targeted therapies and what is new and where the science is going. It is pretty encouraging data that he presented, I hope you find it helpful. Best Wishes!!! Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcRHFGTyGs

DZnDef
            Participant

Thanks,Ed!  I like the treatment I am on as well, although I'm afraid I am the reason everyone's insurance premiums are going up.  Thanks for the excellent video link.  I am going in for my 12th infusion of Keytruda next week.  I have had an excellent response to my treatment so far but there is no way to be sure yet if I am a responder to Keytruda or only the Taf/MEK.  Time will tell, I suppose.  I am currently participating in a trial that my oncologist is involved in that only involves them drawing blood.  They are looking for melanoma tumor cells in the blood and are hoping to make melanoma detection as simple as a blood test with early detection where they don't have to wait for a visible tumor to develop to know that it has occurred or recurred.  Thanks again for responding, Ed.  You are someone that can always be counted on for a topical video link.

cheers,

Maggie

Bubbles
            Participant

Glad to hear you are doing well, Maggie.  I know lots of positive results are being made (though currently in small studies) and lots of good buzz is going on about IDO inhibitors (BMS and Incyte both have products) combined with anti-PD-1. Hopefully you will have no need, however!!!  celeste

DZnDef
                Participant

Hi Celeste!  I was hoping to find you still active on here as you are always on top of the latest and greatest information in melanoma studies and treatments.  Thanks for the heads up on IDO.  I have had a great response with Taf/MEK plus Keytruda so far but my disease burden was likely too heavy to make me a long-term contender for Taf/MEK and my lack of side-effects (not even a rash) make me question whether Pembro is having an effect on me or not so I'd like to have something in my back pocket just in case…My oncologist reminds me that I am receiving the gold standard of treatments right now which is true but different treatments work for different people.  Who knows what will work for me?  I'm hoping this is it because it is tiring trying to pick a "next step" all the time.  So many options with no way to know in advance which options will work on me or not.  I certainly don't want to waste my time on a treatment that won't benefit me.  My current treatment has already benefitted me so even if it turns out not to work for the long haul, I'll have no reason to complain.  I was positive I wouldn't last a year when I was diagnosed.  I am pleasantly surprised to have been wrong.  I'm living out my bonus days where every day is an unexpected and welcome gift.  Thanks so much for responding to my post.  I hope all is well with you.

cheers,

Maggie

Bubbles
                  Participant

I am fine. I suppose despite the pain this site can share, it more than makes up for it in wins.  Both my sisters are ex-Marines.  Though I am not….I suppose I share the same mantra – "I don't leave my people behind!" 

Day by day is all that any of us have.  Enjoy. C

sister of patient
                  Participant

Hello Maggie – I followed your threads last year so this was a nice surprise to see your post today 🙂 and I'm so glad to hear you're doing OK with current treatment!  May your next scans be totally clear and stay that way!!! Best wishes to you!!

Barb 

DZnDef
                      Participant

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your response.  I'm glad your sister is doing well as of your June update (which reminds me that I should update my own profile).  I hope she continues to improve!

Cheers!

Maggie

sister of patient
                        Participant

Yes, she's doing great right now!! Thank you. 🙂

momsmole
                        Participant

Congratulations!  This is wonderful for you and inspiring news for all of us.  May you continue to feel well and have many more happy anniversaries!

DZnDef
                            Participant

Thank you for the kind wishes, momsmole.  I hope you never progress beyond Stage two.

Cheers!

Maggie

Swanee
                            Participant

Hi Maggie!  So good to see a post from you and to hear how well you are doing!  I'm especially interested in your journey as we seem to have similar stories of unknown primary, auto immune tendencies and both of us choosing naturopathic options (for as long as we can) and the watch and wait approach!  

I was diagnosed in 2010 and have only been NED after surgery, which has never lasted more than six months.  I continue to have lymph nodes and sub q's and opt for surgery each time.  I am enrolled in the SCCA TIL and have met all the current criteria, with good success growing my cells for TIL, to be used if/when the option is chosen!  I'd rather do something less invasive if possible, I like the idea of sticking my big toe in first to test the waters, rather than TIL, where it feels more like,  all or none!  So to hear about this treatment you are tolerating well, is very hopeful for me and I will definitely discuss with my Dr. in September, after scans.  I currently have two new ymph nodes that are lighting up so will rescan in September and see what they are up to?   

Like you, I too have lived well following a more naturopathic approach and the watch and wait program but also knowing at the next scan it may be time for a new approach!  I have no regrets with this choice as so much progress has occurred since I was first diagnosed.  I continue to gather and read as much information as I can to remain informed and count my blessings that I continue to beat the odds! Wishing you continued success with your current treatment and clear scans on the 11th!  Thanks again for posting Maggie, I and many others have been concerned for you after the loss of your brother, the news of your own progression and then not hearing from you!  

Swanee

DZnDef
                                Participant

Hi Swanee!  Great to hear from you!  I'm not sure exactly why I dropped off the MPIP other than to say I was in a funk.  I didn't want to think about melanoma, I didn't want to read about melanoma, I just wanted to get on with aspects of life that had nothing to do with melanoma.  My brother's diagnosis and death hit me pretty hard.  Several months later, September fifth to be precise, I was in a hotel room and found I couldn't move my left arm or leg.  My husband was with me and was concerned that I was having a stroke as the left side of my face was slack.  Paramedics came and a later ct of my head showed tumors (Yay/sarc).  I improved immediately but decided I needed to make a change to my treatment plan.  I believe the grief of losing my brother suppressed my immune system enough for the cancer to spread.  Although my cancer stayed confined to my lungs for four years prior so I do not regret starting with alternative treatment.  I began treatment with my oncologist with Tafinlar/Mekenist right away and also underwent gamma knife for the brain mets.  Can I just say, I LOVE propofol!  I wish all my procedures could be done with that instead of general anesthesia.  To clarify, propofol was used when they bolted on my mask.  I was awake for the gamma knife procedure.  After the gamma knife I did not re-start Tafinlar/Mekenist due to excessive fevers (I had completed three Keytruda infusions by this time).  I was on an aggressive taper schedule for Dexamethasone so as to not interfere with Keytruda but in hindsight, this may not have been a good idea.  A week after gamma knife I had a seizure involving my entire left side.  The same tumor as the first seizure was implicated but this time due to swelling.  This time some permanent damage was done.  I lost fine motor control of my left hand and of course, I am left-handed so I can no longer write.  Even brushing my teeth has been a problem.  However, I am told I can use rehab to learn these skills again.  A follow up ct showed resolution of all tumors except the stubborn one which appeared slightly larger.  But also, three new brain tumors were detected one of which was 2cmx2cm after being off Tafinlar/Mekenist for just over a month.  I had brain surgery on January 30th and went home two days later with some titanium screws in my skull as a souvenir.  I can't believe how "simple" brain surgery can be from the patient's side of it when you have an excellent medical team.  I've had multiple surgeries over the years for different reasons and this was by far the easiest one to recover from.  After I got home, it was back on to Tafinlar/Mekinist and fevers be damned!  Then another round of gamma knife to treat the tumor bed for any lingering cells as well as to zap the other two smaller new tumors and re-zap that old stubborn tumor.  Life was happily uneventful after that.  The next head scan showed only mister stubborn tumor remained but he had shrunk.  All other tumors were gone and nothing new was detected.  My neurosurgeon was thrilled.  He had confessed to not having experience with patients on Tafinlar/Mekenist so this was all new to him.  He was expecting to see my brain riddled with new tumors based on our previous visit.  This was around Easter and I'd had my chest, abdomen and pelvis scanned as well.  Good news all around.  Tumors fully resolved in right lung and tumors all smaller in left lung.  No new tumors identified anywhere.  So clearly, Keytruda had not kicked in for me after three infusions.  I have now had eleven and am scheduled for the twelfth next Tuesday.  I would almost welcome a mild rash at this point just to know something is happening with it.  But nope, I feel fine.  Apart from the left hand and a wonky eye due to one of the tumors pressing against a hyper-sensitive nerve that ceases functioning at the slightest insult.  I'm waiting on some prism glasses that should help some.  But overall I feel I am doing well especially when I considered myself a goner years ago.  Life is sweet.  I am glad you are doing so well, Swanee, and may you continue to do so for the rest of a long and healthy life!  Sorry to ramble on.

Cheers!

Maggie

Julie in SoCal
                                Participant

Hey Maggie! 

So glad to hear from you and that you're doing well!

Happy dancing here with you in So Cal!

Julie

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Hey Juli!  Yes, I suppose a happy dance is in order.  I don't quite seem to be able to muster one for some reason.  I think I grew so accustomed to bad news that I am incapable of believing any good news when it comes to my own condition.  When my previous scans came in looking good, I was waiting for them to call and tell me they were reading the wrong scans or that there was a problem with my bloodwork.  It can't just be good news.  So I approach my next scans with a sense of foreboding like I'm going to get double-punished this time for having good scans last time.  I know you and I see the same rockstar doc.  Maybe we've even been in the infusion room together.  I'm not generally sociable in there.  So you got something in your lung, huh?  A different kind of cancer?!  Like one isn't enough.  Did you have a second pathologist test the tumor sample?  I ask because I was misdiagnosed with lung cancer originally.  Although I would expect any pathologist that evaluated your new tumor would have thought to test it for melanoma and ruled it out.  Mine did not consider melanoma as a possibility since there was only one tumor in my body and it was in the lung he only tested for lung cancer.  But I had no history of melanoma at the time.  My second pathologist was more thorough/creative even though my recurrence was also in the lung.  How did the VATS go?  When did you do it?  When I had my upper right lobe removed it took a long time for my breathing to feel "normal" again.  Hope you're all good and thanks for the happy dance.

Cheers

Maggie

Julie in SoCal
                                      Participant

I'm glad to happy dance for you Maggie!  Gotta celebrate everything good! And treatment working is good news!! 

Yea, we may have been in the infusion room at the same time.  I"m not very sociable either.  I usually just want to be done.  I'll be up there on the morning of the 18th.  I'll be the one with the spiked reddish hair (I decided to spike it just because).

I sort of had your story in reverse.  RS doc and I thought the lung tumor was melanoma.  It made sense.  I had melanoma slowly crawling up my left arm, so when something appeared in my left upper lobe, we didn't even think twice. Of course it's melanoma– I have melanoma.  When the biopsy results came back non-small cell lung cancer adenocarcinoma it was a bit of a slap up side the head. Melanoma was definitely ruled out.

But the needle biopsy and the VATs was easier than I anticipated.  I had the bx in March and the VATs in April.  I've mostly recovered from it. And it was not bad.  Yes, chest tubes suck and i hurt for a few days. But the pain killers were good and the pain was manageable.  I still have a bit of strange sensations where the chest tube was, but even this is getting better.  

I had my first round of chemo 12 days ago.  The first week was a blur of nausea and fatigue, but I feel pretty good now. More normal than not.   3 more rounds and then 6 weeks of radiation and then scans.  And then Larry the Lung Cancer will be history!!!  This is the plan.

It was so good to hear you're still around and treatment's working.  5 years stage 4 is a big deal. You won't be punished for this bit of happiness.  Although bad things might come.  This is how I figure anyway.

Thanks for writing and catching us all up,

Shalom,

Julie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics