The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Five year followup scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Five year followup scans

Participant

I almost feel like I have no right to complain. I am almost five years post surgery and my physician suggested that I can discontinue the followup scans. I am terrified. The scans provide me assurance that I will catch any recurrence in time to take advantage of the advances in treatment and, at least, provide me with the chance to fight a recurrence successfully. If I have no idea that the cancer has returned how do I fight it?

How do others of you deal with this?

Thanks.

Mary

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

Hey it's tough to think that you will no longer be protected but in my opinion that is not the case. Time to put melanoma in the rear view.  Im a few months from my 5 year anniversary and they will discontinue scans and I'm excited about that. No longer will they be pumping radioactive sugars into my body and coming up with false positives and scaring me to death. No more will I have trouble sleeping the night before the scan. No more visualizing my toddlers without their Dad. I know it's tough to think that it could be lurking just waiting for the onc to discontinue looking but I look at it more as a graduation. I've made it to the NED club and so have you!!! Congrats!

CHD
            Participant

Hi Mary,

I will be at 5 years next May.  They skipped my PET CT this year, though, and I am only year 4, though I am stage I or II (depending on how you figure in the regression). 

I agree, it is reassuring to have them yearly.  I do not like feeling like I am in the dark.  I am debating on whether it is feasible for me to self-pay to continue the scans, and whether it is a good idea.  I understand the radiation exposure is siginificant, but then so is MM.  My oncologist offers a significant discount for self-pay PET-CTs, though it still comes to around $6-8k or so, so it is not exactly cheap.  I am deciding whether I want to do this next summer.  I understand exactly what you mean, and I have not yet decided how I am going to handle this.

Curious, are they offering you lung/liver/abdominal x-rays in place of the CT?

It is hard to imagine that they would not offer at least some type of minimal imaging going forward, or what the justification could be for that with mucosal melanoma.  Did they explain the reasoning?

Cheri

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics