The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First Opdivo Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community First Opdivo Treatment

Participant

Just a little nervous, hope it goes OK.  My first session is in an hour. 

Newly, registered here, such a good resource.  Been lurking since I was diagonsed in November with a fast appearing lesion that turned out to have a 9.0mm ulcerated tumor Staged pT4bNXMX with a 10 mitotic count.  This led to PET/CT scans, additional SLND surgery, where 3 more met tumors found excised, one 9mm in right axilla LN, another 1mm in right axilla, and a 1mm one in my left axilla.  Nodal staging for this metastisis was staged as pN2a. 

I am probably like most others, a bit in shock about being diagonosed and then suffering from relazation that this is a long path, with unknown outcomes.    It has already caused life changing events in my life, and trying to deal with it.   Will report back, so others maybe benefit from how it goes for me.  

Peace

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Johnjk04
        Participant

Best wishes to you Mike. Hoping that the final chapter of your melanoma book is a happy one.

Gene_S
          Participant

Hi Mike,

You have come to a good place to learn from others about Melanoma.  Many are very educated on many things as some have tried so many drugs.

While my husband did not take Opdivo he started his journey with a 10.5 mm lesion and started out at stage III.  After several surgeries he became Stage !V with an unresectable lesion on his neck at the C1- C2 Cervical spine.  Surgery would have left him a quad.  He also had some SubQ's in this area.  Upon testing he also had lesions in his liver and lungs.  In March of 2011 he started a clinical trial for Ipi (Yervoy) at 10 mg/kg every 3 weeks for the first 12 weeks and self injected GMCSF daily for 14 days on and then 7 days off.  After the 12 weeks he had the Ipi infusions every 12 weeks and we did the GMCSF for 14 days on and 7 days off with no break.  We watched and took pictures of the subQ's deminishing.  He became NED in July 2012.  In Dec. 2013 he stopped the treatments and has remained NED ever since.

So don't give up on life and keep on doing the things you like.  He has and has now been cancer free for over 6.5 years.

Judy the loving wife of Gene

P.S. if you would like to read more about his journey click on his profile name.

MikeInAK
              Participant

Wow Judy, what a journey for Gene.  Thanks for sharing, thats remarkable for him, and gives good hope for us others weaving our way through the life of a melanoma patient.  

gopher38
              Participant

I was very worried about the Opdivo effects at first, but they've been very manageable for me.  Bigger concern is whether or not it's effective, so I'm hoping that it will be for you.  Best of luck.

MikeInAK
                  Participant

Of course thats been on my mind too.   There are no black and white assurances that any treatment works for everyone.   How far along are you in the Optdivo treatment regime?  I'm sure I am going to be anxious about watching for my treatment results in the next year.   Seems like a long haul at this point.  

RichInLife2
                  Participant

Good luck, Mike!

MikeInAK
                    Participant

Saw the onclologist, and had good discussion of where we are, and where we are going with ttreatment. 

Then on to the first infusion.  All went really easy, and not big deal to get the delivery.  Only issue was that my blood pressure was pretty low after infusion, so they IV'd some saline for another 1/2 hour and it came up.  Don't feel much at this point, hoping my immune system when unleashed will do its thing and pac-man any bad cells that may be lurking.  Happy that session 1 delivery went so good. 

GeoTony
                      Participant

Keeping positive is half the battle,

good luck and welcome aboard

Tony

MarkR
                        Participant

Best of luck to you – as others have said don’t worry too much about the side effects the main thing is you get the right result and I hope this works for you

mark

Zelda_Scotland
                          Participant

I had my first treatment on the same day as you Mike. Good luck!

MikeInAK
                              Participant

Good luck to you too Zelda!   We can share progress notes.  I had a little nausea the following day, but feel really good on day 2 with no Adverse effects.   I was given a 240mg dose infusion over 30 minutes.  

If you live in Scotland, that is one of my favoriate places to travel to.  I hope to get back there to fish after I get through my treatment.  Something to look forward to.  

Zelda_Scotland
                                Participant

Hi Mike, 

Just wondered how you were doing on the Nivolumab. 

8 done, 18 still to go! 

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics