The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First Ipi infusion scheduled

Forums General Melanoma Community First Ipi infusion scheduled

Participant

So I had another appt with my onc yesterday and we scheduled the first Ipi infusion for Aug 13.

the idea is to have about a 2 week washout for Mekinist which I stopped taking today. The I will stop Taf 5 days before the infusion and continue 3 days after each infusion again. So in reality it is a parallel treatment as 5 days is no real washout.

Due to my high tumor burden in chest / lungs, abdomen, liver and bones this may become a bumpy right  and if Ipi does not kick in within a reasonable timespan I run the risk of not making it. My LDH is 800 now.

next staging is only going to be after all 4 infusions as according to my onc it would not change anything. He did not want to make any statement on when to declare Ipi a failure and apply for the  Anti-PD1 EAP but stated that nobody could tell if I would be in the condition at the time to still be eligible.

all in all this looks like the start of a tough 3 months in a dark valley with the only hope that I will be able to celebrate my 36th on Nov 4.

if anybody has a better idea than what I have been planning now or any hints for my Ipi experience I would be grateful!

thanks to you all,

Chris

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

Chris,

As far as your treatment plan, I can't offer any better advice, because I think you have a smart, solid plan in place.  You've thought it through, worked with your onc closely to understand the plan and the goals, and it's time now to boldly move forward with the plan.

With ipi, the experience can vary so much, but remember that the majority of patients will not experience any severe side effects.  You'll read this everywhere on this site and elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here:  the most important thing is to report anything out of the ordinary to your doctor as soon as possible.  Many side effects can be managed and the sooner they know about them, the more effective that management can be.  You have the goal to get all four of your infusions and you also want to feel as good as you can going through this.  Don't let the fear of having a dose delayed or stopped altogether prevent you from reporting something to your doctor right away.

Certainly let us know how it goes with every dose or more often if you like, I know everyone would love to hear how you're doing.  And if you do encounter any side effects, you'll get plenty of advice from others who may have experienced them — but tell us after you tell your doctors!  😉

Wishing you all the best, Joe

RJoeyB
          Participant

Chris,

As far as your treatment plan, I can't offer any better advice, because I think you have a smart, solid plan in place.  You've thought it through, worked with your onc closely to understand the plan and the goals, and it's time now to boldly move forward with the plan.

With ipi, the experience can vary so much, but remember that the majority of patients will not experience any severe side effects.  You'll read this everywhere on this site and elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here:  the most important thing is to report anything out of the ordinary to your doctor as soon as possible.  Many side effects can be managed and the sooner they know about them, the more effective that management can be.  You have the goal to get all four of your infusions and you also want to feel as good as you can going through this.  Don't let the fear of having a dose delayed or stopped altogether prevent you from reporting something to your doctor right away.

Certainly let us know how it goes with every dose or more often if you like, I know everyone would love to hear how you're doing.  And if you do encounter any side effects, you'll get plenty of advice from others who may have experienced them — but tell us after you tell your doctors!  😉

RJoeyB
            Participant

Chris,

jualonso
              Participant

Hi Chris,

Im absolutely agree with Joe. Please let us know your process, some of us are following the same path as you.

Good luck

Juan

jualonso
                Participant

Hi Chris,

Im absolutely agree with Joe. Please let us know your process, some of us are following the same path as you.

Good luck

Juan

jualonso
                  Participant

Hi Chris,

Good luck

Juan

hannahcopeland1
                    Participant

making the decision is the hardest part! 

i think that you can take a deep breath and feel good that youve got a good solid plan. im always panicky as well when i am in between treatment which i kind of am now. i have scans on monday to see how my 4 ipi infusions and chemo worked on my body and brain this summer. so we will be discussing whats next as well.

i hope ipi works for you! my side effects really werent bad, but like they said, tell your doctor. i always did, but then the usually would subside on there own anyways.

good luck to you sir

H

hannahcopeland1
                      Participant

i think that you can take a deep breath and feel good that youve got a good solid plan. im always panicky as well when i am in between treatment which i kind of am now. i have scans on monday to see how my 4 ipi infusions and chemo worked on my body and brain this summer. so we will be discussing whats next as well.

i hope ipi works for you! my side effects really werent bad, but like they said, tell your doctor. i always did, but then the usually would subside on there own anyways.

good luck to you sir

H

hannahcopeland1
                        Participant

good luck to you sir

H

BrianP
                          Participant

Chris,

With the differences in health systems I just don't know of anything else to suggest.  Have you tried sending Catherine Poole an email to see if she has a suggestion?

I know your situation seems really bleak right now but remember often the darkest hour is just before dawn.  Get ready for Ipi and just keep remembering there are patients who have had remarkable results with it.  You can be one of those patients. 

I can promise you will be in my thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks.  If you don't mind I would like you to message me your mailing address at some point because I fully intend to send you a birthday card on Nov 4th!

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Chris,

With the differences in health systems I just don't know of anything else to suggest.  Have you tried sending Catherine Poole an email to see if she has a suggestion?

I know your situation seems really bleak right now but remember often the darkest hour is just before dawn.  Get ready for Ipi and just keep remembering there are patients who have had remarkable results with it.  You can be one of those patients. 

I can promise you will be in my thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks.  If you don't mind I would like you to message me your mailing address at some point because I fully intend to send you a birthday card on Nov 4th!

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Chris,

Brian

Mat
                                Participant

Chris, any thoughts on pushing your onc on the intial 2 week washout in light of your tumor burden?  Consider asking him/her to contact one of the trial investigators for the ipi/GSK combo.  I know that Jedd Wolchuk at Sloan is one of them.  I think there is another one in St. Louis.

Mat
                                  Participant

Chris, any thoughts on pushing your onc on the intial 2 week washout in light of your tumor burden?  Consider asking him/her to contact one of the trial investigators for the ipi/GSK combo.  I know that Jedd Wolchuk at Sloan is one of them.  I think there is another one in St. Louis.

Mat
                                    Participant

arthurjedi007
                                      Participant

That is a solid plan. You have a really good doctor. I would not change a thing. I especially like the part of continuing the Taf 3 days after each infusion again and stopping 5 days before each infusion. I see that as the key you are going to make it.

The day you are getting your first ipi on August 13th is the day I get my first PD1 EAP scan after 4 doses of it.

Good luck to you Chris.

arthurjedi007
                                        Participant

That is a solid plan. You have a really good doctor. I would not change a thing. I especially like the part of continuing the Taf 3 days after each infusion again and stopping 5 days before each infusion. I see that as the key you are going to make it.

The day you are getting your first ipi on August 13th is the day I get my first PD1 EAP scan after 4 doses of it.

Good luck to you Chris.

arthurjedi007
                                          Participant

Good luck to you Chris.

Ginger8888
                                            Participant

Good luck Chris, i am having my fourth and last infusion on Aug 13..I have had no side effects except maybe a little fatigue in the morning every now and then..Always think positive and never give up..I believe a positive attitude is up most important in fight this..Sounds like you and your Dr have a plan and i pray you don't have a tough time going through Yervoy..Drink lot's and lot's of water..I also drank V-8 juice to get my veggie intake a day and would drink at least one nutritional drink a day..Am also taking a multi vit and a vit D3 tablet a day..

Ginger8888
                                              Participant

Good luck Chris, i am having my fourth and last infusion on Aug 13..I have had no side effects except maybe a little fatigue in the morning every now and then..Always think positive and never give up..I believe a positive attitude is up most important in fight this..Sounds like you and your Dr have a plan and i pray you don't have a tough time going through Yervoy..Drink lot's and lot's of water..I also drank V-8 juice to get my veggie intake a day and would drink at least one nutritional drink a day..Am also taking a multi vit and a vit D3 tablet a day..

Ginger8888
                                                Participant

ecc26
                                                  Participant

Best of luck to you. I was tired with Ipi and had boarderline colitis, but these were managed well with over the counter meds and a good diet (no spicy foods, etc). I did have a prescription for nausea later as I got towards the last dose or so. Everyone is different, but my guess is that you won't really have any side effects for at least a few days after the first dose and as you get more doses you may notice more/worse side effects quicker or they don't go away as quickly after the later doses. For me it was a bit cumulative. Make sure you're taking in enough energy to keep your body working properly- especially protein. You need the energy/nutrients for your immune system to work properly and to feel physically well. 

I sincerely hope you respond fully to the Ipi and achieve that coveted NED status with it!

Keep us posted

ecc26
                                                    Participant

Best of luck to you. I was tired with Ipi and had boarderline colitis, but these were managed well with over the counter meds and a good diet (no spicy foods, etc). I did have a prescription for nausea later as I got towards the last dose or so. Everyone is different, but my guess is that you won't really have any side effects for at least a few days after the first dose and as you get more doses you may notice more/worse side effects quicker or they don't go away as quickly after the later doses. For me it was a bit cumulative. Make sure you're taking in enough energy to keep your body working properly- especially protein. You need the energy/nutrients for your immune system to work properly and to feel physically well. 

I sincerely hope you respond fully to the Ipi and achieve that coveted NED status with it!

Keep us posted

ecc26
                                                      Participant

Keep us posted

tcell
                                                        Participant

Thanks to all for their encouragement and good advice on ipi.

I guess the most important thing is to have a plan in place that I am able to follow.

Special thanks to Brian, Artei and Joe who are always there for a positive response.

Will keep all of you posted and keep you in my prayers for the upcoming adventures we are all facing.

take care,

Chris

tcell
                                                          Participant

I guess the most important thing is to have a plan in place that I am able to follow.

Special thanks to Brian, Artei and Joe who are always there for a positive response.

Will keep all of you posted and keep you in my prayers for the upcoming adventures we are all facing.

take care,

Chris

tcell
                                                            Participant

take care,

Chris

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics