The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Finished with 6 weeks of Radiation

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Finished with 6 weeks of Radiation

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

I just finished two days ago, 6 weeks of radiation treatments, 27 treatments each to  two different sections of my leg, thigh and lower calf, staggered so that the lower started one week after the upper, due to the wider excision not being healed. My skin on my thigh is red, sunburned looking and feeling and quite painful to touch…but I expected that, after having done 5.5 weeks of radiation to my knee area last year. My lower calf is not as red but the wider excision wound, which is still not healed up, but IS healing (its been since June 1st) remains QUITE painful, open, oozing lymph fluid still, and I change the bandages three times a day. I am doing twice weekly lymphadema treatments, although my leg is not nearly as swollen with lymphadema as it has been in the past after different treatments or leg infections. I am on round two of an antibiotic (had a slight cellulitis a month ago and just as a precaution nowas when I was finished with the antibiotics my leg really started throbbing in pain), and I am on vicodins for constant pain. Overall its not bad though, and I am managing…still working 5 to 7 hours a day……the vicodins take the pain down from a 5 or so to a 3……I do want to describe how EMOTIONAL I have felt this past week…..several reasons……leaving the daily treatments (so the feeling of ACTIVELY treating this beast) and sad about not seeing the staff, especially the doctor and the radiation techs who I knew from last year as well and have formed such a bond with. SO I knew that it was going to be hard as I neared the end of treatments, and it was!!! I have been teary the last two days. On my last day of daily treatment I stayed home in the morning and baked the staff a made from scratch two layer chocolate cake and brought that in with a card, with all their names on it (and those of you who have done radiation know this is quite a team who put together and do your radiation treatments)….there were hugs all around from everyone and I managed to keep it together while in the Cancer Center but did cry afterwards……needed to…..okay, well this is long winded, but just wanted to update how its going and what it was like for me to do radiation treatments. By the way, the surgeon (my oncology surgeon) has said it will take 2 to 3 MORE months for this leg wound to heal…….no swimming, no baths, no hottubs (wouldnt do that anyways with leg lymphadema and sanitation worries)…….Donna, stage 3a, six leg re-occurences, post 11 months interferon, 7 months leukine, isolated limb perfusion, two rounds of radiation, and numerous wider excisionsover the last 4 years

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Wow! You have been through a lot in this battle.  I hope you heal soon and have only good news in the future! 

Linda

bill58
          Participant

Wow,

That sounds like quite a journey.  I know how you must feel now that the treatments are over.  I have 7 left myself and cannot wait.  My doctors did not inform me that it would take that long for the leg wound to heal.  I am not looking forward to that.

Bill IIIc

Sharon in Reno
              Participant

It's funny how docor's forget to tell us little details… like the part where they put screws in my head for brain surgery and the next day my doctor just smiled when I was rubbing my wounds asking "why does my head hurt up here?

Sending prayers for you speedy recovery. Keep up the fight. love, Sharon in Reno, Stage IV

King
              Participant

Thanks for the update, Donna!  The battle goes on and on.  Hoping things start to get better for you real soon!

Stay Strong
                King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                Participant

Thanks for the update, Donna!  The battle goes on and on.  Hoping things start to get better for you real soon!

Stay Strong
                  King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

triciad
                  Participant

Donna,

You have been through so much…a true warrior!  Here's to your speedy recovery!

Tricia

triciad
                    Participant

Donna,

You have been through so much…a true warrior!  Here's to your speedy recovery!

Tricia

Sharyn
                      Participant

Hi Donna,

I know what you mean about forming a bond with your rad team.  But dry your tears, get healed, and get ready to move onto the next phase of the fight.  I've had my mastectomy, and will start IPI in Montreal mid-Sept. I'll be in touch as the time draws nearer and my plans are in place. Stay strong and stay positive.

Hugs

Sharyn

Sharyn
                        Participant

Hi Donna,

I know what you mean about forming a bond with your rad team.  But dry your tears, get healed, and get ready to move onto the next phase of the fight.  I've had my mastectomy, and will start IPI in Montreal mid-Sept. I'll be in touch as the time draws nearer and my plans are in place. Stay strong and stay positive.

Hugs

Sharyn

Viewing 7 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics