The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Financial help

Forums General Melanoma Community Financial help

Participant

I have stage 4 and have stopped working for about 6 months, currently on the GSK combo. I have successfully obtained copay help through Chronic Fund foundation, for those of you needing help with prescription copay, their approval process is 24hrs. I submitted online application, 2 days later, I was approved. For those of you needing financial help, this is a good place.

I am unsure where to go for help with my mortgage? I don't know if I should tell my lender about my diagnose, I am still current on my mortgage, but finding it harder & harder to make the payments. Has anyone reached out to their lender and obtained a successful outcome?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        LuckyMan51
        Participant

Since u are Melanoma stage IV you are on the Compassionate Allowances approved list for fast tracking at the Social Security Administration.  If you are unable to work you will be fast tracked and probably receive an approval within 2 weeks of having all your docs and medical proofs submitted. You can claim disability payments back to a specific diagnosis date at which you were unable to work. I apologize but can't give more info on the differences between SSDA and SSA as one is needs based and the other a function of your pay in. After disability approval you are approved for Medicare within 24-36 months I think. Please look into it on the web or consult a Social Security Disability specialty attorney.  Definitly book an appointment with your local SS office for more help. This isn't welfare but this is a fund you have likely paid into for your entire career so you are justified in applying for this early distribution. You get it early as the mortality tables point out that a fair number of stage IV patients aren't collecting Social Security deep into old age. Not that anything is wrong with welfare for those in need but just making a point that this is a resource you have already invested in. Good luck.  

mbaelaporte
            Participant

if you go SSDisability –  I went to SS office and was given a number to call – the operator suggested the disability route and scheduled an appointment and the facilitator got me on the rolls within six weeks and I received a lump sum payment for app. 12 months since I had been dignosed.

Hopefully no need for attorney

mbaelaporte
              Participant

if you go SSDisability –  I went to SS office and was given a number to call – the operator suggested the disability route and scheduled an appointment and the facilitator got me on the rolls within six weeks and I received a lump sum payment for app. 12 months since I had been dignosed.

mbaelaporte
                Participant

LuckyMan51
                Participant

Since u are Melanoma stage IV you are on the Compassionate Allowances approved list for fast tracking at the Social Security Administration.  If you are unable to work you will be fast tracked and probably receive an approval within 2 weeks of having all your docs and medical proofs submitted. You can claim disability payments back to a specific diagnosis date at which you were unable to work. I apologize but can't give more info on the differences between SSDA and SSA as one is needs based and the other a function of your pay in. After disability approval you are approved for Medicare within 24-36 months I think. Please look into it on the web or consult a Social Security Disability specialty attorney.  Definitly book an appointment with your local SS office for more help. This isn't welfare but this is a fund you have likely paid into for your entire career so you are justified in applying for this early distribution. You get it early as the mortality tables point out that a fair number of stage IV patients aren't collecting Social Security deep into old age. Not that anything is wrong with welfare for those in need but just making a point that this is a resource you have already invested in. Good luck.  

LuckyMan51
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics