The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Finally started Ipi!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Finally started Ipi!!!

Participant

Well, it wasn't as smooth sailing as I had thought. After having all the preliminary tests and scans last week in Montreal, my Dr there called me last Fri to tell me my hemoglobin was too low (7.6), and if I didn't get it up within 5 days, I wasn't eligible for the trial. So I had bloodwork done locally on Fri afternnon, hemoglobin was 8.0, but still not high enough. So on Monday I went in to the Cancer Centre to have a blood transfusion — 2 units. Then, on Wed, I flew back to Montreal on a wing and a prayer, hoping that my hemoglobin had risen enough.

Well, it wasn't as smooth sailing as I had thought. After having all the preliminary tests and scans last week in Montreal, my Dr there called me last Fri to tell me my hemoglobin was too low (7.6), and if I didn't get it up within 5 days, I wasn't eligible for the trial. So I had bloodwork done locally on Fri afternnon, hemoglobin was 8.0, but still not high enough. So on Monday I went in to the Cancer Centre to have a blood transfusion — 2 units. Then, on Wed, I flew back to Montreal on a wing and a prayer, hoping that my hemoglobin had risen enough. Good news, it was up to 10.8, so on Thurs, we started Ipi at 11:30. I had no adverse events, walked back to the hotel afterwards (20-25 min walk), then went to the airport and flew home late last night. This morning I feel fine, and I hope it continues. I've waited a very long time to start this trial, with lots of detours (gamma knife, genetic profiling, mastectomy, etc), so I'm delighted to be finally underway.  I'll update as things move forward.

Hugs

Sharyn

Stage IV

ILP, LND, PV-10, hysterectomy, GM-CSF, WBR, SRS, mastectomy, and now Ipi.  

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        Marshipops
        Participant

Hi Sharyn

I'm new here and just read your profile.  Jings!!  You've been through so much!  I really hope that the Ipi works for you, good luck!

Marsha x

Marshipops
          Participant

Hi Sharyn

I'm new here and just read your profile.  Jings!!  You've been through so much!  I really hope that the Ipi works for you, good luck!

Marsha x

James from Sydney
            Participant

Hi Sharyn

so glad to see you have started. Sending you lots of positive energy.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
              Participant

Hi Sharyn

so glad to see you have started. Sending you lots of positive energy.

best wishes

James

ValinMtl
                Participant

Round one done..now on to round two!!!  Let's get that nasty beast and kill it dead. Val

Sharyn
                    Participant

I'm with ya, girl!  See ya in October!  Hugs, Sharyn

Sharyn
                      Participant

I'm with ya, girl!  See ya in October!  Hugs, Sharyn

ValinMtl
                      Participant

Round one done..now on to round two!!!  Let's get that nasty beast and kill it dead. Val

dian in spokane
                        Participant

good luck girl!

dian

dian in spokane
                          Participant

good luck girl!

dian

killmel
                            Participant

Hey Sharyn,

Happy you are underway??/ I am thinking about IPI. Have you had any side effects??? What are you doing for them??

Sharyn
                                Participant

No side effects so far, but it's only been 36 hours. I feel totally normal, healthy appetite, sleeping well.

Hugs

Sharyn

Sharyn
                                  Participant

No side effects so far, but it's only been 36 hours. I feel totally normal, healthy appetite, sleeping well.

Hugs

Sharyn

killmel
                                  Participant

Hey Sharyn,

Happy you are underway??/ I am thinking about IPI. Have you had any side effects??? What are you doing for them??

Jim M.
                                    Participant

I'm glad you're finally on Ipi! I pray you are a responder.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                      Participant

I'm glad you're finally on Ipi! I pray you are a responder.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Sharyn, that is fantastic!  I really hope you do well on it.  You have waited so long.  Keep up that hemoglobin too!

ellen – dad's daughter

Sharyn, that is fantastic!  I really hope you do well on it.  You have waited so long.  Keep up that hemoglobin too!

ellen – dad's daughter

King
                                        Participant

Sharyn,

You have a great attitude and have been fighting, fighting, fighting.  Really hoping that Ipi is your answer and that the side effects are minimal.

You are an inspiration!

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                                          Participant

Sharyn,

You have a great attitude and have been fighting, fighting, fighting.  Really hoping that Ipi is your answer and that the side effects are minimal.

You are an inspiration!

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Jim in Denver
                                            Participant

Hi Sharyn,

I am really happy to see your post – really good news!  You have been really strong in going through so many obstacles to get to this point, so I am sending lots of positive thoughts to you (and Jim too) for your starting the Ipi treatment.  You are truly an amazing lady who inspries others to keep fighting, and with true grace and humor. 

Best,

Jim

Bonnie Lea
                                                Participant

Oh this is great to read Sharyn.  You are my very own   Fighting Newie  and I am always sending up thoughts to God and everyone who listens.

Continue with the positive attitudes.  We are sort of kindred sisters in a off way.  (cept well you got one left I have none) hahah

Love Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                                                  Participant

Oh this is great to read Sharyn.  You are my very own   Fighting Newie  and I am always sending up thoughts to God and everyone who listens.

Continue with the positive attitudes.  We are sort of kindred sisters in a off way.  (cept well you got one left I have none) hahah

Love Bonnie

Jim in Denver
                                                  Participant

Hi Sharyn,

I am really happy to see your post – really good news!  You have been really strong in going through so many obstacles to get to this point, so I am sending lots of positive thoughts to you (and Jim too) for your starting the Ipi treatment.  You are truly an amazing lady who inspries others to keep fighting, and with true grace and humor. 

Best,

Jim

makedoandmend
                                                    Participant

that is awesome that you got your counts up in the nick of time!  I have a good feeling that all of your hard work is going to pay off!

-pat on long island

makedoandmend
                                                      Participant

that is awesome that you got your counts up in the nick of time!  I have a good feeling that all of your hard work is going to pay off!

-pat on long island

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics