The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Fevers & Stage 4

Forums General Melanoma Community Fevers & Stage 4

Participant

Before my stage 4 diagnosis I was dealing with low grade fevers in the evening. I was told this was rare symptom of metastatic melanoma. I have two small mets on my liver and normal liver numbers and normal LDH. I also have a cluster of nodules in one lung and several enlarge do lymph nodes in my chest.

I am desperate for other stories involving fever as a symptom, but also as a side effect of ipi plus nivo (my current treatment).

Are fevers always a bad sign?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

Hey I was 38 when I had a low grade fever for the entire summer, went to dr after Dr -blood work, spinal tap all the stuff. Before this never in the hospital for anything, rarely sick. They gave me a bunch of roids and felt better for a little bit-then found Mel -I'm only stage 3b but the onc at mayo theorized either my sickness might have brought down my immune system and woke up Mel or it was Mel causing my fever/no way to tell. I'm Ned for 5 yrs now

jennunicorn
          Participant

I can't speak to fevers before diagnosis, but fevers as a side effect of Ipi/Nivo is something I have experienced. Had a 3 week fever in January after my 4th Ipi/Nivo infusion. My liver enzymes were high and pacreas was inflammed and a ton of lymph nodes were reacting. Basically my whole body was super amped up from my immune system reacting to the drugs. So, I would theorize that perhaps having fevers before diagnosis could be a good thing, since it's an indication of your immune system reacting, and maybe it was trying to kill off some cancer cells. Either way, I would look at fevers as a good sign.. a sign that the immune system is reacting to the treatment positively, which is what happened in my case.

baesill
              Participant

Thanks so much for sharing these stories guys! I have a low grade fever now, laying in bed and feeling rotten. The fever experiences help so much. 

tschmith
              Participant

I had fevers during and after my clinical trial at NIH and at the beginning of my "Year of Keytruda"…always in the evening.  Before I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma, I had a couple of episodes of chills, fever, body aches, etc.  At the time I was a second grade teacher and attributed it to something I caught from the children in my class.  However, after my diagnosis I wondered about those fevers because I taught for many years and was rarely sick with anything other than a cold although I went to the doctor a few times about the body aches. 

Best wishes to you!

Terrie

MovingOn
                  Participant

I had a low grade fever for a while before being diagnosed IIIb (neck lymph nodes). It made my initial ear/nose/throat doctor think my swolllen lymph nodes could be lymphoma. But pathology reports of the biopsy proved it was melanoma.

AliCat61
                  Participant

My husband ran a low-grade fever and had chills and aches while on Interferon treatment, usually just the night of the shot. He is now is on ipo plus nivo infusions (he's had 2 out of 4 and then will move to maintenance) and he consistently runs a low-grade fever in the evenings. However, he had no issues with fever before he was diagnosed with Nevoid Malignant Melanoma. He does seem to be responding. We won't know anything for sure until the 12 week scans, but the tumor on his jawline in the parotid gland has shrunk and become soft rather than hard (after initially growing following infusion number 1). Everyone's experiences are different, but I hope this will be helpful. Keep up the good fight!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics