The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Fertility issues and melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Fertility issues and melanoma?

Participant

Hey everybody, just wondering if anybody here has thought about or dealt with fertility issues during/after melanoma treatment. My husband went on BRAF inhibitors but was unable to go to a sperm bank beforehand, and according to the side-effects those drugs can make a person infertile. 

Before he got sick, we had hoped to have kids someday (I just turned 30, he's in mid-30s). 

Right now we're still in the middle of cancer treatment. He had a very high tumour burden and we're still not sure if Keytruda is working, although things look very cautiously optimistic (symptoms are stable or even slightly improving). And even if Keytruda is working, we know his chances of being a complete responder are pretty low considering the seriousness of his disease.

But still … Have to think about the future and stay positive, right? So I find myself wondering about whether we can ever have kids if his situation stabilizes.

Has anybody else dealt with something like this? What should we do? I wonder if I should go, like, get my eggs frozen or something?! (I don't even really know what that means.) Our sex life has been non-existent for about 7 months now (low testosterone, lots of pain killers, and he's unable to go on hormone replacement therapy) but we're pretty sure the traditional way wouldn't work for us anyway.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        gregor913
        Participant
          I was able to get my wife pregnant after yervoy 10mg treatment. We had a healthy beautiful boy. God works miracles.
          WithinMySkin
          Participant

I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this!! I was diagnosed at 31 and it's been quite a ride for my husband and me. If having kids is something that you and your husband have discussed, I would talk with his onc as soon as you can. If you need to take steps to secure the ability to have children in the future, then try and take those steps now. I don't know how his treatments will affect the possibility, so it's best to talk with the doc who should have some answers.

As for being intimate, I was showing signs of early menapause after a few infusions of immunotherapy. Plus I was very self conscious of the scars on my leg and I had some nerve damage in my leg that made things difficult. It took a lot more for me to get into the mood. My husband was very thoughtful and it took time and communication to find our new normal. It's 4 years later and my marriage is stronger than ever!

If you need someone to talk to, you can always reach me at my blog. Wishing you and your husband health and happiness. 

Lauren

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics