The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Female” question/concern?

Forums General Melanoma Community “Female” question/concern?

Participant

Hi All,

I am 7 mths NED IIIc metastatic melanoma while on interferon.  Off interferon since (sept?) – don't remember.  I am 44 yrs old and started my menstrual cycle when I was 11.  I  have not had a cycle for 2 mths now. NOT pregnant, several tests done.  Belly feels "full" and big, but I also relaxed a little after my CT 6 mths back which came back clean.  When I say relaxed, I mean a little Ben and Jerry's, a better appetite, and so on.  Nothing (that I feel) too extreme diet wise to cause the fullness.

Hi All,

I am 7 mths NED IIIc metastatic melanoma while on interferon.  Off interferon since (sept?) – don't remember.  I am 44 yrs old and started my menstrual cycle when I was 11.  I  have not had a cycle for 2 mths now. NOT pregnant, several tests done.  Belly feels "full" and big, but I also relaxed a little after my CT 6 mths back which came back clean.  When I say relaxed, I mean a little Ben and Jerry's, a better appetite, and so on.  Nothing (that I feel) too extreme diet wise to cause the fullness.

My mel was in left groin, with recurrance in additional nodes resulting in radical groin dissection.  I did have regular cycles on interferon, before and after surgeries, normal till recently.

My follow up onc appt is Monday which I will, of course, bring this up.  Just throwing this out there if anyone has thoughts, recommendations, questions I should ask…I (think) he will be ordering a PET b/c we talked about doing one every 6 mths for the first year.

Guess I just might be letting my thoughts get the best of me again…

Laurie

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        gabsound
        Participant

Laurie,

One of the things my oncologist mentioned to me is that the Interferon could affect my hormones. Maybe this has something to do with your situation. I'm 50 so I actually was already on hormones (had a hysterectomy a few years ago). At your age probably not anywhere near menopause. Safest bet, is always to get it checked out.

Julie

gabsound
          Participant

Laurie,

One of the things my oncologist mentioned to me is that the Interferon could affect my hormones. Maybe this has something to do with your situation. I'm 50 so I actually was already on hormones (had a hysterectomy a few years ago). At your age probably not anywhere near menopause. Safest bet, is always to get it checked out.

Julie

Jamietk
            Participant

I've not taken interferon and I'm 40 and have not gone through menopause, so take my feedback for what it's worth. A few points:

1) I have heard cancer treatments can put you into menopause or cause hormonal issues, interferon included. My coworker and SIL both went into menopause from chemo (one was 44 and one was 48). They both have other hormonal issues/side effects they deal with.

2) My sister went into menopause in her early 40's, so it can happen, although not terribly common.

3) You say you don't feel like you've done anything to terrible, diet-wise. I will say that if I poor even for just a few days or a week, I feel bloated and gross. And I'm overweight so you'd think it would be as noticeable to me, but it is.

4) Lots of other things can cause these symptoms: IBS, gall bladder issues, just to name a few. Glad you're seeing the Dr. soon though, just so you don't have to worry about it long.

Best Wishes.

Jamietk
              Participant

I've not taken interferon and I'm 40 and have not gone through menopause, so take my feedback for what it's worth. A few points:

1) I have heard cancer treatments can put you into menopause or cause hormonal issues, interferon included. My coworker and SIL both went into menopause from chemo (one was 44 and one was 48). They both have other hormonal issues/side effects they deal with.

2) My sister went into menopause in her early 40's, so it can happen, although not terribly common.

3) You say you don't feel like you've done anything to terrible, diet-wise. I will say that if I poor even for just a few days or a week, I feel bloated and gross. And I'm overweight so you'd think it would be as noticeable to me, but it is.

4) Lots of other things can cause these symptoms: IBS, gall bladder issues, just to name a few. Glad you're seeing the Dr. soon though, just so you don't have to worry about it long.

Best Wishes.

Carol Taylor
                Participant

Laurie,

You haven't gotten as far as you have without a PET/CT scan. I was in the middle of menopause at 48 when I had my first and only such scan. Menopause stopped immediately. No more periods, hot flashes, nothing. I fully believe the chemicals associated with the scan did that…talk about affecting hormones!

To tell you the truth, the mole that housed my melanoma didn't start to change or give me any trouble UNTIL menopause started…more hormone interference I think. I think our hormones play a bigger role in this whole melanoma thing than we realize. And the scans and treatments play a role in affecting our hormones I think.

So, it may well be that all those chemicals, be they from scans and or interferon, have thrown off your system. Woudn't surprise me in the least and I hope that's all it is!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

Laurie,

You haven't gotten as far as you have without a PET/CT scan. I was in the middle of menopause at 48 when I had my first and only such scan. Menopause stopped immediately. No more periods, hot flashes, nothing. I fully believe the chemicals associated with the scan did that…talk about affecting hormones!

To tell you the truth, the mole that housed my melanoma didn't start to change or give me any trouble UNTIL menopause started…more hormone interference I think. I think our hormones play a bigger role in this whole melanoma thing than we realize. And the scans and treatments play a role in affecting our hormones I think.

So, it may well be that all those chemicals, be they from scans and or interferon, have thrown off your system. Woudn't surprise me in the least and I hope that's all it is!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Rick Bellinger
                      Participant

my wife, ( Carol B ) has stage 4 melinoma and has been doing interleukin2 treatments since december. it seems like every time she starts a treatment she starts her period. even when shes not supposed to. im her husband and i try my best to take care of her and i never had to change her pads before. it was really quite strange but if a husband will do that for his wife he;ll do anything for her. i learned its better to have a woman their with ya if your wife is going threw treatments lol.

i pray every day for all the people in this world with all kinds of cancer. i,ve heard so many stories from family members in waiting rooms and out at the smoking area. now i realize why it takes so long some times for GOD to answer our prayers. just at vanderbuilt hospital i know there is thousands of people here that are asking GOD for a miracle let alone all the millions of other places around the world. he;s gotta be stressed out too lol

but if ya loose faith in GOD ya might as well just give up. so please dont ever loose faith.

Rick Bellinger
                        Participant

my wife, ( Carol B ) has stage 4 melinoma and has been doing interleukin2 treatments since december. it seems like every time she starts a treatment she starts her period. even when shes not supposed to. im her husband and i try my best to take care of her and i never had to change her pads before. it was really quite strange but if a husband will do that for his wife he;ll do anything for her. i learned its better to have a woman their with ya if your wife is going threw treatments lol.

i pray every day for all the people in this world with all kinds of cancer. i,ve heard so many stories from family members in waiting rooms and out at the smoking area. now i realize why it takes so long some times for GOD to answer our prayers. just at vanderbuilt hospital i know there is thousands of people here that are asking GOD for a miracle let alone all the millions of other places around the world. he;s gotta be stressed out too lol

but if ya loose faith in GOD ya might as well just give up. so please dont ever loose faith.

akls
                        Participant

Laurie,

I know that interferon can mess up your monthly cycles.  I was 41 when I did it and they told me it could put me into menopause.  I didn't. I ended up with never ending spotting they entire year.  They did an endometrial biopsy and some other tests that were fine and basically just said it was the interferon.  Once I stopped treatment everything went back to normal in that department. 

You do need to have it checked out though.  I was ready to blame interferon for all of my problems, but the Drs. were never willing to just take that as the answer without running tests.

Good luck.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                          Participant

Laurie,

I know that interferon can mess up your monthly cycles.  I was 41 when I did it and they told me it could put me into menopause.  I didn't. I ended up with never ending spotting they entire year.  They did an endometrial biopsy and some other tests that were fine and basically just said it was the interferon.  Once I stopped treatment everything went back to normal in that department. 

You do need to have it checked out though.  I was ready to blame interferon for all of my problems, but the Drs. were never willing to just take that as the answer without running tests.

Good luck.

Amy S. in Michigan

nicoli
                            Participant

Have it checked by the onc and if no other cause is found, I bet it's hormonal.  You can have hormonal changes starting in early 40s or even sooner. Called "peri-menopause" and very common.  You may want to google it.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                              Participant

Have it checked by the onc and if no other cause is found, I bet it's hormonal.  You can have hormonal changes starting in early 40s or even sooner. Called "peri-menopause" and very common.  You may want to google it.

Nicki, Stage 3b

jimjoeb
                                Participant

I am menopausal. I found Carol's comment about her mel appearing cooincident with menopause because that was also the coincidence for me.

I may have interferon as an option once the surgeries are finished (superficial inguinal dissection Jun 10th). Has anyone had interferon treatment who was already in menopause?

nicoli
                                    Participant

You can do a search of this board for "interferon". Lots of differing opinions.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                                      Participant

You can do a search of this board for "interferon". Lots of differing opinions.

Nicki, Stage 3b

dian in spokane
                                        Participant

I did interferon post interferon…

I'm reading this thread, but having a bit of trouble following it this morning.

I have to say..the main reason for these coincidences has to do with AGE.

MOST melanoma cases are diagnosed in people of a certain age.. I mean.. we do see it in young people, especially young women, but it is by far more common in people over 40, so not at all surprising in my book to see it occur in women of menopausal age.

I don't really have any thoughts on the original posters concern though. Hopefully her scans will show that things are ok!

dian

dian in spokane
                                          Participant

I did interferon post interferon…

I'm reading this thread, but having a bit of trouble following it this morning.

I have to say..the main reason for these coincidences has to do with AGE.

MOST melanoma cases are diagnosed in people of a certain age.. I mean.. we do see it in young people, especially young women, but it is by far more common in people over 40, so not at all surprising in my book to see it occur in women of menopausal age.

I don't really have any thoughts on the original posters concern though. Hopefully her scans will show that things are ok!

dian

jimjoeb
                                          Participant

I am menopausal. I found Carol's comment about her mel appearing cooincident with menopause because that was also the coincidence for me.

I may have interferon as an option once the surgeries are finished (superficial inguinal dissection Jun 10th). Has anyone had interferon treatment who was already in menopause?

mom3girlsFL
                                            Participant

Thanks everyone for your input!  It willl never cease to amaze me this forum is available to ask, respond, question and ask support from such a wonderful group of people. We are all dealing with our own personal battles yet come to the aid of others…truly amazing, and I thank you again.

When I stated my 'thoughts are getting away from me' I had already googled something like menstrual cycle stopping and, of course, the explanation I latched on to was brain tumour – not any of the other MANY causes which are more likely!!!  LOL!!!  I am my own worst enemy!

Either way, my onc appt is Monday so I will follow up!

Smiles, hugs and wishes for a fabulous weekend!

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                                              Participant

Thanks everyone for your input!  It willl never cease to amaze me this forum is available to ask, respond, question and ask support from such a wonderful group of people. We are all dealing with our own personal battles yet come to the aid of others…truly amazing, and I thank you again.

When I stated my 'thoughts are getting away from me' I had already googled something like menstrual cycle stopping and, of course, the explanation I latched on to was brain tumour – not any of the other MANY causes which are more likely!!!  LOL!!!  I am my own worst enemy!

Either way, my onc appt is Monday so I will follow up!

Smiles, hugs and wishes for a fabulous weekend!

Laurie

Valentine
                                                Participant

Laurie,

I also had all of the lymph nodes in my left groin removed (primary melanoma on the bottom of my left foot) resulting in lymphedema not only in my left leg but also in my abdominal area. I've been told this is uncommon but sometimes if a person has a "marginal" lymphatic system to begin with disturbing one part of it can affect an adjacent part.

You didn't mention lymphedema, but thought I would just mention it as a possibility for the fullness of your belly. I wouldn't think it would affect your menstrual cycle though.

Cheri

Valentine
                                                  Participant

Laurie,

I also had all of the lymph nodes in my left groin removed (primary melanoma on the bottom of my left foot) resulting in lymphedema not only in my left leg but also in my abdominal area. I've been told this is uncommon but sometimes if a person has a "marginal" lymphatic system to begin with disturbing one part of it can affect an adjacent part.

You didn't mention lymphedema, but thought I would just mention it as a possibility for the fullness of your belly. I wouldn't think it would affect your menstrual cycle though.

Cheri

akls
                                                    Participant

Laurie,

One more thought.  Have you had your throid levels checked since the interferon?  My daughter is hypo and her period stopped a year ago and her endocrinologist is saying that is a side effect of hypo.

Interferon is known to "mess" with thyroid function.  I'm hypo since taking it and I have nodules in it too.  Just a thought.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                                      Participant

Laurie,

One more thought.  Have you had your throid levels checked since the interferon?  My daughter is hypo and her period stopped a year ago and her endocrinologist is saying that is a side effect of hypo.

Interferon is known to "mess" with thyroid function.  I'm hypo since taking it and I have nodules in it too.  Just a thought.

Amy S. in Michigan

Lauri England
                                                        Participant

I am in my 9th month of interferon and it has not effected my monthly cycles.  I am 36.  I believe it may be age related possibly.  My mother went through mentapause at age 38 so it does happen to different people at different ages.  Good luck!!

Lauri England
                                                          Participant

I am in my 9th month of interferon and it has not effected my monthly cycles.  I am 36.  I believe it may be age related possibly.  My mother went through mentapause at age 38 so it does happen to different people at different ages.  Good luck!!

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics