The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Favorite Advice/Cookbooks on the battle against Cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community Favorite Advice/Cookbooks on the battle against Cancer

Participant

Any suggestions?  Someone mentioned a favorite book of their's in the war against Melanoma in the past month or two.  I forgot to write down the title.  I already have some books and basically know how I should eat and live, but I'm always looking for more information/recipes, etc. 

What are your favorites?

Hoping for a cure! 

Terrie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Hey Terrie,

One book I read that gave me the motivation to start making changes in my eating habits was "Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life."  It's not a recipe book but a good book for why you should really watch what you are putting in your body.  It's just an all around good book for a positive outlook in this battle against cancer.  The other thing I watched which was another big motivation for me was the Documentary "Forks over Knifes."  It's real hard to watch that documentary and not think that a diet based more from plants is the way to go.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Hey Terrie,

One book I read that gave me the motivation to start making changes in my eating habits was "Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life."  It's not a recipe book but a good book for why you should really watch what you are putting in your body.  It's just an all around good book for a positive outlook in this battle against cancer.  The other thing I watched which was another big motivation for me was the Documentary "Forks over Knifes."  It's real hard to watch that documentary and not think that a diet based more from plants is the way to go.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Hey Terrie,

Brian

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

"Eating well through Cancer"    Holly Clegg & Gerald Miletollo, MD     Ccomplements of Merck Oncology

http://www.hollyclegg.com/book_detail.cfm?id=3  Aavailoable as an e-book aand  paperback.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

"Eating well through Cancer"    Holly Clegg & Gerald Miletollo, MD     Ccomplements of Merck Oncology

http://www.hollyclegg.com/book_detail.cfm?id=3  Aavailoable as an e-book aand  paperback.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hi Terrie,

I am a huge advocate of a good diet and exercise!  I've practiced what I've preached my whole life and STILL developed melanoma.  Despite continued adherence to such methods, I progressed to Stage IV.  I still utilize a healthy diet of mostly fruits and vegetables and run several miles most days.  But…like Jerry alluded to in another post, curcumin is the only thing data supports that by EATING actually changes melanoma.  Here's the data:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/for-melanomaeat-that-curryagain-we-just.html

And….here's a rant I had on my blog about folks pushing certain diets as a "cure" for cancer.  Would that it were so easy.  Funny and reassuring, how so many have dropped off the richter scale!  But, if you're interested:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-diet-advice-for-melanoma_13.html

Wishing you my best, Celeste

tschmith
                        Participant

Thank you Brian, Jerry, and Celeste!

Terrie

tschmith
                          Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                            Participant

Terrie

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hi Terrie,

I am a huge advocate of a good diet and exercise!  I've practiced what I've preached my whole life and STILL developed melanoma.  Despite continued adherence to such methods, I progressed to Stage IV.  I still utilize a healthy diet of mostly fruits and vegetables and run several miles most days.  But…like Jerry alluded to in another post, curcumin is the only thing data supports that by EATING actually changes melanoma.  Here's the data:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/for-melanomaeat-that-curryagain-we-just.html

And….here's a rant I had on my blog about folks pushing certain diets as a "cure" for cancer.  Would that it were so easy.  Funny and reassuring, how so many have dropped off the richter scale!  But, if you're interested:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-diet-advice-for-melanoma_13.html

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hi Terrie,

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Hi Terrie,

All the below items really helped me…and maybe they too will help others.

Have a great day,

Laurie

Super Helpful Movies and Books for Your Cancer Struggle

Movies:

Crazy Sexy Cancer DVD (Available to buy on Amazon) (very interesting documentary about Kris Carr, a 31 year old woman diagnosed with incurable cancer and her keeping it totally stable for 11+ years so far)

Available Movies Free on NetFlix:

Forks Over Knives

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Books all by Kris Carr:

Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips

Crazy Sexy Cancer Survivor

Crazy Sexy Diet

Crazy Sexy Kitchen

sweetaugust
                                  Participant

Hi Terrie,

Have a great day,

Laurie

Movies:

Crazy Sexy Cancer DVD (Available to buy on Amazon) (very interesting documentary about Kris Carr, a 31 year old woman diagnosed with incurable cancer and her keeping it totally stable for 11+ years so far)

Forks Over Knives

Books all by Kris Carr:

Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips

Crazy Sexy Diet

Crazy Sexy Kitchen

sweetaugust
                                    Participant

Hi Terrie,

Have a great day,

Laurie

Movies:

Forks Over Knives

Books all by Kris Carr:

Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips

Crazy Sexy Diet

Crazy Sexy Kitchen

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics