The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Father of 2 dying and only option is compassionate use of MK-3475 but Merck said “no”

Forums General Melanoma Community Father of 2 dying and only option is compassionate use of MK-3475 but Merck said “no”

Participant

We are desperate!  My brother has stage IV melanoma and was told there is nothing else they can do for him.  There is a drug (MK-3475) Anti-PD-1 inhibitor that is available for expanded access for compassionate use from Merck.  Since he had a seizure a couple of weeks ago and has new brain tumors they state he is not eligible. I’m hoping someone may know of a way to get an exception to the rule and get my brother access to this drug.  His doctor, Stephen Hodi from Dana Farber said Merck refused to allow him to receive the drug but would not put their refusal in writing.  We were told he only has weeks to live and that was last week so we are desperate for him to get this treatment.  We will sign anything releasing them of any liability if anything happens to him.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or any other options you think we can try.  We are even open to anything at this point.  Thanks!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mary1233
        Participant

The phone number for Merck's compassionate care program is 1-800-672-6372. My understanding of when this was done before (unfortunately the patient died before Merck found a heart) is that there  was a facebook campaign that grew rapidly.

Tell all your friends.

Best of luck.

mary1233
          Participant

The phone number for Merck's compassionate care program is 1-800-672-6372. My understanding of when this was done before (unfortunately the patient died before Merck found a heart) is that there  was a facebook campaign that grew rapidly.

Tell all your friends.

Best of luck.

mary1233
            Participant

Tell all your friends.

Best of luck.

Maureen038
                Participant

Put your plea on change.org with a picture of him and his family. Try to see if you can get any press to write a story about it. Good luck!!

Scuba Doc
                  Participant

My wife met with Dr. Hodi on Tuesday and has a similar problem —- She has been treated with radiosurgery and is being treated again tomorrow —don't know if your brother can be treated or not for the tumors (radiosurgery) — we also are waiting for Merck to start the 'expanded access program' but don't know if we will be eligible. As far as we know Merck has not granted any compassionate exemptions yet.

We have been told by the doctors at Dana Farber that the expanded access program will start soon. My wife says that she would like to talk to you if you wish —let me know and God bless

Scuba Doc
                    Participant

My wife met with Dr. Hodi on Tuesday and has a similar problem —- She has been treated with radiosurgery and is being treated again tomorrow —don't know if your brother can be treated or not for the tumors (radiosurgery) — we also are waiting for Merck to start the 'expanded access program' but don't know if we will be eligible. As far as we know Merck has not granted any compassionate exemptions yet.

We have been told by the doctors at Dana Farber that the expanded access program will start soon. My wife says that she would like to talk to you if you wish —let me know and God bless

Scuba Doc
                      Participant

Maureen038
                        Participant

Put your plea on change.org with a picture of him and his family. Try to see if you can get any press to write a story about it. Good luck!!

Maureen038
                          Participant

kccaddy23
                            Participant

Thanks we called them and they didn't do anything.  They are saying his disease is too far progressed.

kccaddy23
                              Participant

Thanks we called them and they didn't do anything.  They are saying his disease is too far progressed.

kccaddy23
                                Participant

Tim–MRF

I am sorry to hear about your brother. I can't imagine how challenging this is for the entire family.

I have a couple of comments and a couple of questions.  These protocols are developed in conjunction with the FDA, so the company doesn't always have as much latitude as it may appear to make exceptions. They can, under rare circumstances, do a trial of one patient but that takes a lot of work.

The EAP Merck has launched allows for patients with stable brain mets to participate. This is actually quite unusual; most trials and studies exclude them completely.

I am curious if Dr. Hodi was evaluating him for the EAP or for a standard trial. I was looking for sites that had the EAP open a few days ago and at that time couldn't find any place that had the program running.  If he wasn't looking at the EAP guidelines then that channel might be more flexible.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I am sorry to hear about your brother. I can't imagine how challenging this is for the entire family.

I have a couple of comments and a couple of questions.  These protocols are developed in conjunction with the FDA, so the company doesn't always have as much latitude as it may appear to make exceptions. They can, under rare circumstances, do a trial of one patient but that takes a lot of work.

The EAP Merck has launched allows for patients with stable brain mets to participate. This is actually quite unusual; most trials and studies exclude them completely.

I am curious if Dr. Hodi was evaluating him for the EAP or for a standard trial. I was looking for sites that had the EAP open a few days ago and at that time couldn't find any place that had the program running.  If he wasn't looking at the EAP guidelines then that channel might be more flexible.

Tim–MRF

Cooper
                                      Participant

Tim, I disagree from what I've read about trials for myself.  Actually if your brain mets are stable after radiation you can get into clinical trials.  EAP guidelines are more flexible than a regular trial.  But if there's meningeal disease there really is not treatment that is workable and that's what happened to the young man and family from Colorado who were refused the compassionate use.

Cooper
                                        Participant

Tim, I disagree from what I've read about trials for myself.  Actually if your brain mets are stable after radiation you can get into clinical trials.  EAP guidelines are more flexible than a regular trial.  But if there's meningeal disease there really is not treatment that is workable and that's what happened to the young man and family from Colorado who were refused the compassionate use.

kccaddy23
                                          Participant

Thank you everyone for your responses. I believe the issue is his brain mets have been unstable so that is why he doesn't qualify. Dr. Hodi and his team have tried to help him get access to the drug but looks like Merck will not approve him to receive it under EAP. Now we just have to pray for a miracle or that Merck changes their mind. 

kccaddy23
                                            Participant

Thank you everyone for your responses. I believe the issue is his brain mets have been unstable so that is why he doesn't qualify. Dr. Hodi and his team have tried to help him get access to the drug but looks like Merck will not approve him to receive it under EAP. Now we just have to pray for a miracle or that Merck changes their mind. 

kccaddy23
                                              Participant

Cooper
                                                Participant

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics