The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Family, genetic testing

Forums General Melanoma Community Family, genetic testing

Participant

I am so very sad about my two nieces. My godchild has aggressive breast cancer, and her sister has melanoma and now lymphoma. They both carry the BRCA2 gene, as does my sister, though she does not have cancer. 

I was scheduled to have the genetic testing done this week, but the hospital had to reschedule me due to staff illness, so i'll go in two weeks. I have melanoma, with two primary sites, both stage 1 and removed surgically. I'm worried that if I, too, carry the gene, my own children may be affected as well.

I am so very sad about my two nieces. My godchild has aggressive breast cancer, and her sister has melanoma and now lymphoma. They both carry the BRCA2 gene, as does my sister, though she does not have cancer. 

I was scheduled to have the genetic testing done this week, but the hospital had to reschedule me due to staff illness, so i'll go in two weeks. I have melanoma, with two primary sites, both stage 1 and removed surgically. I'm worried that if I, too, carry the gene, my own children may be affected as well.

I guess I'm just here to share that worry.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

I am sure it is a concern we all have thought about… that perhaps we have passed along a gene to our children that predisposes them to cancer of one form or another. I remember when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 37 y/o and my surgeon asked if we had any daughters. Yes! Four! I will never forget how his face fell, and he explained that their risk would begin 10 yrs prior to mine. So, in their late 20's they would already be at an increased risk. My melanoma diagnosis came weeks after that, and again, thinking abt how this could affect the kids.BUT… having the gene does not mean they will get the disease, it is a predisposition – and that is also a maybe. In my mind, if I would have known my risk ahead of time, I would have been more diligent in prescreening and such. So, for our children, the knowledge can just serve as a moivation to be sure to get those physicals and those dermatology appointments that we tend to ignore when we feel well and when we are younger. Catching things early can make such a difference for them. So many things we think about here as we walk this road. 

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

I am sure it is a concern we all have thought about… that perhaps we have passed along a gene to our children that predisposes them to cancer of one form or another. I remember when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 37 y/o and my surgeon asked if we had any daughters. Yes! Four! I will never forget how his face fell, and he explained that their risk would begin 10 yrs prior to mine. So, in their late 20's they would already be at an increased risk. My melanoma diagnosis came weeks after that, and again, thinking abt how this could affect the kids.BUT… having the gene does not mean they will get the disease, it is a predisposition – and that is also a maybe. In my mind, if I would have known my risk ahead of time, I would have been more diligent in prescreening and such. So, for our children, the knowledge can just serve as a moivation to be sure to get those physicals and those dermatology appointments that we tend to ignore when we feel well and when we are younger. Catching things early can make such a difference for them. So many things we think about here as we walk this road. 

Tina

chalknpens
              Participant

Thanks, Tina, for your response and encouraging advice. I will pass it along.

chalknpens
                Participant

chalknpens
                  Participant

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that Vitamin D-3 (high range) would help with your multiple sclerosis.

Also that breast cancer patients could benefit enormous with having high levels of vitamin D-3.

All cancer patients should be tested and they should be in the 80 to 100 level to help win the battle.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that Vitamin D-3 (high range) would help with your multiple sclerosis.

Also that breast cancer patients could benefit enormous with having high levels of vitamin D-3.

All cancer patients should be tested and they should be in the 80 to 100 level to help win the battle.

Best wishes,

Gene

chalknpens
                          Participant

Hi Gene,

Thank you for your response. I do take a high dose (50000) of vitamin D3 once a week, and also take calcium chews that contain D2 in moderate amounts, ideally daily but I'm not as consistent with that. Nonetheless, my D level rose from in the teens to 90 in six months time.  It is very important for MS patients, and also for many other conditions.

chalknpens
                            Participant

Hi Gene,

Thank you for your response. I do take a high dose (50000) of vitamin D3 once a week, and also take calcium chews that contain D2 in moderate amounts, ideally daily but I'm not as consistent with that. Nonetheless, my D level rose from in the teens to 90 in six months time.  It is very important for MS patients, and also for many other conditions.

chalknpens
                              Participant

Hi Gene,

Gene_S
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

JC
                                Participant

80-100?  I take couple thousand units per day but can still only get my level in the low 30s

JC
                                  Participant

80-100?  I take couple thousand units per day but can still only get my level in the low 30s

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Try increasing it, 35 x your weight. Example 200lbs. should take 7000 iu daily.

Keep increasing it and be tested until you attain your ideal levels.

Note milk and dairy are very hard for healing cancer and should be avoided.

Gene_S
                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                          Participant

JC
                                          Participant

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Thank YOU for the link!  More info can be found @

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21371954

"the data support the view that serum levels in the range 70-100 nmol/L might be a reasonable target for melanoma patients as much as for other members of the population". 

This is why testing is necessary.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                Participant

"the data support the view that serum levels in the range 70-100 nmol/L might be a reasonable target for melanoma patients as much as for other members of the population". 

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics