The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Family doesn’t understand

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Family doesn’t understand

Participant

I was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma stage T1. I explained to my family about diagnosis and that I had cancer on my shoulder. Their response "it's only skin cancer, it's not that bad". I guess I don't know how to take that. I understand there are other cancers that are more severe, maybe I just shouldn't mention it to anyone. I've never had anything like this before and I was just looking for support. Has anyone else had this reaction from family?

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant
          That is the number 1 most common response from people who have never been affected by melanoma. Sure, stage 1 is low and you’re now cancer free, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have all of the other effects like anxiety and fear that comes with any cancer diagnosis. I have found it helps to educate those who give responses like that about why melanoma is scary and “not just skin cancer”. It helps them better support you and also spreads awareness about melanoma and could save someone else from a serious diagnosis. One month after I was diagnosed, a friend told their daughter about me and that daughter decided to see her doctor about a weird mole she had for 5 years or so but never had it looked at as she did not think it was anything. Turned out to be melanoma and she was diagnosed stage 2 and is cancer free now. Don’t take the “just skin cancer” responses personally. People don’t understand because the general population is not educated about melanoma so we as patients sometimes have to be that real world example to spread the knowledge and we never know how much it could help someone else.
            Jamie1960
            Participant

+1 on the above

regansmom
            Participant

Hello Dave. I have received similar responses from family and friends – if not in those exact words, but in a very dismissive and cavalier reaction to the diagnosis. At this point I do not have a final Staging and am waiting for my surgery. I have tried to talk to my family about my concerns about it, but they are not interested. The sense is that I might as well be going in to have a splinter removed !! I really believe that there needs to be more education done regarding the seriousness of malignant melanoma, and maybe that is something we, as survivors can focus on. I have found wonderful support from forums like this one and my local Cancer Support Centre. I'll work on my family later !!! It's not too late to educate them and let them know that it's ok to talk about it. All the best.

MovingOn
              Participant

In the health system where I get treatment the cancer center is called the "Cancer and Melanoma Center." I can't tell if that is supposed to mean melanoma isn't cancer or that they specialize in Melanoma in addition to being just a cancer center. I'm hoping it is the latter.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

I would assume the latter. Where I go it is a "Comprehensive Cancer Center" and the 3rd floor is the Melanoma Center, which has the dermatology side and the oncology side, focusing mainly on melanoma and other skin cancers and head/neck cancers as well. Definitely never get the feeling that melanoma isn't cancer there 🙂

Sharon93065
                  Participant

That is what most of my friends and family thought.  I have metastatic stage 4, and the it's like "oh they just burn it off right?"  And it's like "no i have lung mass, lymph nodes" etc.  Then i mention how 60% goes to brain and other organs their eyes wide open.  I call it the Jimmy Carter disease.

Sharon

Sharon93065
                    Participant

That is what most of my friends and family thought.  I have metastatic stage 4, and the it's like "oh they just burn it off right?"  And it's like "no i have lung mass, lymph nodes" etc.  Then i mention how 60% goes to brain and other organs their eyes wide open.  I call it the Jimmy Carter disease.

Sharon

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

Sadly, I had those same thoughts about it myself after intitial diagnosis! People are uninformed. The fact that it has long been labeled under the "skin cancer" category, makes it sound so much less harmful. Thankfully, you did catch it early, and odds that your friends and family will ever be faced with the true horrors of it are low. NOT that it makes it any mentally easier on you though! Reach out and find support where you can… because living with that unending "What if…" is probably more common than we think. Looking back, I wish I had been less dismissive… unfortunately, I'm still not sure anyone could have convinced me that I should worry any further. Most of the folks I'm surrounded by still think nothing of being outside for hours without sun protection. Until and unless they've walked in your shoes, or hand in hand beside you in yours, they aren't likely to ever really understand the fear.

Dave63
                        Participant

Thank you all so much for replying and your support. It is extremely comforting to know I have a place to come to with so many wonderful and caring people. I try to stay positive but it's so hard when you have to face things like this alone. Thank you all again and God bless you. 

Jdc
                            Participant
                              Even diagnosed recently with stage IV , I still get from nurses “melanoma in your lung?” And the doctor and first oncolgist i seen,that told me that the mass in my lung “probably wasn’t melanoma because it usually doesn’t spread there” alot of education just isn’t there even in the health care industry.
                        Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics