The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eyelashes turning white on Nivo/Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Eyelashes turning white on Nivo/Opdivo

Participant

I've heard of patients' hair turning white on nivo. After four months of treatment, my hair is still dark brown, but my eyelashes are now white. Has anyone else had this experience or read about how/whether it relates to efficacy?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldrichdesigner
        Participant
          I had vitiligo with Keytruda and white spots in my hair which is basically the same process. It’s caused by a lack of melanin which is what melanoma is partially made of. Therefore, the loss of melanin is a sign of the medicine working.

I’ve heard of the same thing happening on ipi/nivo to differing effects but my condition has not gotten any worse on ipi/nivo. My fingers are crossed that it doesn’t mean the medicine isn’t working on me.

Hope that helps.

lkb
            Participant

Thanks, aldrichdesigner! Never thought I'd hear myself say I wanted white hair, but, well, here I am.

Bubbles
            Participant

Because melanoma sucks and nothings is 100% – we can't be certain about much – but vitiligo (white patches on the skin, leading to white hair in areas affected) while on immunotherapy is an excellent prognostic sign.

Here are lots of articles – https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=vitiligo  

Congrats!  c

lkb
                Participant

Thank you, Celeste! I'm cautiously optimistic. Much appreciate the links. 

Gene_S
                Participant

My husband did not take a combo but was on Ipi and when his eyebrows started turning white the onc said that was definitely a good sign.  His head of dark brown hair did not change.  He then got vitiligo on his face and neck in patches and some of his beard is white and some remained dark.  He became NED.

He started his clinical trial with Ipi 10 mg/kg (Yervoy) and GMCSF in March of 2011 andwas NED in July 2012 and has remained NED for  over 6 years.

Judy the loving wife of Gene

lkb
                    Participant

Thanks, Judy! Hooray for Gene's NED.

GeoTony
                    Participant

Hi,

My eyebrows, eyelashes and beard have all turned white, sometime after my second Ipi/nivo dose, back in Feb 2017, I also developed mild vitiligo on my arms, my Oncologist was very happy. My hair hasn't changed colour, but it did thicken up confirmed by my barber who didn't know I had cancer and wanted to know what I'd been applying to my scalp. Currently stable and ticking along.

lkb
                        Participant

Thank you, Tony. Have not seen any skin vitiligo yet. Funny about the barber! Soon he'll be asking you to score him some Nivo. Congrats on your stability.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics