The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Experiences with thyroid nodules

Forums General Melanoma Community Experiences with thyroid nodules

Participant

Hi all. I have been diagnosed with multiple nodules on my thryriod. Nothing has been determined to be cancerous. I am seeking comments to those who have had a similar diagnosis, course of action and the insuing results.

A little background….

Diagnosed with stage 3a spindle cell melanoma on my outer left foot, just below the ankle bone. Had a WLR with SNB in Dec, 2013. One node positive with micro mets, left groin lyphodectomy in April 2014. Removed nodes were all negative. Interferon for 1yr. I have a rotating schedule of Dr appts every 3 months (surgical oncologist, immunotherapy Oncologist and dermologist).

The nodules were first detected by my only pet scan, done in Jan 2014. My surgical ONC ordered a ultrasound April 2015 which as many as 5-7 nodules, the largest bring 2.1. They don't appear to be growing and neither Dr can feel them.

Sugical ONC ordered blood work, all normal (no hypo or hyper) but my TWC? Was twice normal. From what I read, a high count isn't conclusive of cancer. The Dr wants to skip doing further scans or biopsy because as he put it (my throat would be a pin pad from all the poked) and wants to go straight to surgery.

I have a deliberating problem with that. My body has already been through a lot. Another surgery for something that *may* be cancerous is doesn't sit well. My regular ONC agrees and had ordered a follow up ultrasound in Sept along with my second set of scans (no pet this time, CT and Chest) to determine further growth, if any, in my thyroid. 

Just curious if any else has been through this and and what course of action you took.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Mike in SoCal

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Toby0987
        Participant

Mike-I'm dealing with same deal you are. I'm stage 3b melanoma-forearm to armpit-macromet to 1 node in 2013. I've had a ton of pets with spots showing each time on my thyroid and sometimes on liver. 2 months ago the mayo oncologist had them do an ultrasound and fine needle biopsy of the small hot spot on my thyroid. Good news it is not melanoma bad news it is papillary thyroid cancer. To fnb it they jabbed the small tumor 6 times with a needle with just a local on the injection site-piece of cake and that is coming from a guy that passes out when they draw blood.  I had them ablate the tumor with alcohol instead of chopping my thyroid out.  The ablation was super easy and fairly pain free-again just deadened the injection spot and went to town. I won't know if it worked until November's pet.  The mayo oncologist said they have been doing ablation for a long time in other Countries than the U.S. .  You need that thyroid to fight your melanoma. Also they have done studies and a lot of autopsies show papillary thyroid cancer on dead old people that died from other causes like old age.  If it is papillary thyroid cancer then it is no big deal.  

Toby0987
          Participant

Mike-I'm dealing with same deal you are. I'm stage 3b melanoma-forearm to armpit-macromet to 1 node in 2013. I've had a ton of pets with spots showing each time on my thyroid and sometimes on liver. 2 months ago the mayo oncologist had them do an ultrasound and fine needle biopsy of the small hot spot on my thyroid. Good news it is not melanoma bad news it is papillary thyroid cancer. To fnb it they jabbed the small tumor 6 times with a needle with just a local on the injection site-piece of cake and that is coming from a guy that passes out when they draw blood.  I had them ablate the tumor with alcohol instead of chopping my thyroid out.  The ablation was super easy and fairly pain free-again just deadened the injection spot and went to town. I won't know if it worked until November's pet.  The mayo oncologist said they have been doing ablation for a long time in other Countries than the U.S. .  You need that thyroid to fight your melanoma. Also they have done studies and a lot of autopsies show papillary thyroid cancer on dead old people that died from other causes like old age.  If it is papillary thyroid cancer then it is no big deal.  

Toby0987
            Participant

jvictoria
              Participant

Mike,

I have had nodules for over 10 years with no issues… I have since been diagnosed with stage IIIb melanoma. But, the nodules have been there for a very long time… my doctor ultrasounds them once a year and FNB every other year. Thyroid levels are fine…. and no cancer with the nodules. Melanoma is a different story.

jvictoria
                Participant

Mike,

I have had nodules for over 10 years with no issues… I have since been diagnosed with stage IIIb melanoma. But, the nodules have been there for a very long time… my doctor ultrasounds them once a year and FNB every other year. Thyroid levels are fine…. and no cancer with the nodules. Melanoma is a different story.

jvictoria
                  Participant

Mike,

mrsaxde
                    Participant

Hi Mike,

Like the other responses you have gotten, I also have thyroid nodules. I had a thyroid uptake and imaging done at the end of June. I haven't been back to the endocrinologist yet…I'm on her cancellation list. But I saw the radiologist report. Some of my nodules are functioning, some are non-functioning. All were classified as "non-suspicious."

My thyroid had been fine until I was treated with Yervoy over the winter. After those treatments my TSH crashed. It looked like it was returning to normal in April, but in my most recent bloodwork it was really low again.

Hopefully I'll get back to the endocrinologist one of these days. I don't respond well when someone comments on wait times for medical treatment in other countries. ๐Ÿ™‚

michaelinsocal
                        Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Much, much appreciated. 

I've also heard the Thyriod plays a part in fighting Melanoma, thus my hesitation to go straight to surgery. I'll have to further into the other treatment options. Is there anything that naturally shrinks such tumors?

Thanks again,

Mike

Toby0987
                          Participant

Request alcohol ablation if it is thyroid cancer

Toby0987
                            Participant

Toby0987
                              Participant

michaelinsocal
                                Participant

I've also heard the Thyriod plays a part in fighting Melanoma, thus my hesitation to go straight to surgery. I'll have to further into the other treatment options. Is there anything that naturally shrinks such tumors?

Thanks again,

Mike

michaelinsocal
                                  Participant

Thanks again,

Mike

mrsaxde
                                  Participant

Hi Mike,

Like the other responses you have gotten, I also have thyroid nodules. I had a thyroid uptake and imaging done at the end of June. I haven't been back to the endocrinologist yet…I'm on her cancellation list. But I saw the radiologist report. Some of my nodules are functioning, some are non-functioning. All were classified as "non-suspicious."

My thyroid had been fine until I was treated with Yervoy over the winter. After those treatments my TSH crashed. It looked like it was returning to normal in April, but in my most recent bloodwork it was really low again.

Hopefully I'll get back to the endocrinologist one of these days. I don't respond well when someone comments on wait times for medical treatment in other countries. ๐Ÿ™‚

mrsaxde
                                    Participant

Hi Mike,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics