The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Experience with combination nivolumab/ipilimumab treatment?

Forums General Melanoma Community Experience with combination nivolumab/ipilimumab treatment?

Participant

My dad is now 4 years in since his diagnosis with melanoma, 1 year since we found mets, which were surgically resected. There are now more mets (of course) on his last scan, so we are taking the step for systemic treatment.

The data for the combined nivolumab and ipilimumab is very compelling, however concerning for toxicity. We have an appointment to meet with an oncologist who is overseeing the expanded access to this and will likely get started in the next few weeks unless we find another option we want to try in the meantime.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience (either yourself or a family member) of actually doing both of these drugs together. I would love to hear about any success stories, as well as the failures, however I am more wondering about the personal experience of having this treatment. I want to help support my dad as much as possible and father's day may be a good time to load him up with blankets, playlists, games, mints what have you for when he is having these infusions – do they give you chills or hot flashes? burn entering your veins? metallic taste in mouth? etc

I would deeply appreciate any insight!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dentholla
        Participant

Lauren, I wish you and your family the best in your research.  My husband is entering this trial and his first treatment is 6/23 as a stage 3B although we question if he is really stage 3A.  Speedster is on this forum and is already part of that the same trial at Texas Oncology.  If you look up his profile he has documented a little of his journey.  Hope this helps and best wishes.

dentholla
          Participant

Lauren, I wish you and your family the best in your research.  My husband is entering this trial and his first treatment is 6/23 as a stage 3B although we question if he is really stage 3A.  Speedster is on this forum and is already part of that the same trial at Texas Oncology.  If you look up his profile he has documented a little of his journey.  Hope this helps and best wishes.

dentholla
            Participant

AshleyS
              Participant

Hi Lauren!

I did not see your post until tonight. I was in this trial at MD Anderson. I made it through 3 of the 4 combo treatments. A week after my third infusion, I got very sick. I had fatigue, nausea, and diarrhea. I lost 20 pounds in four days. 

HOWEVER….

My scans, even without the fourth infusion, were awesome! I previously had 4 sub-q tumors. Gone. My liver tumors shrunk by 80-90%. 

For about 5 days I was miserable. I couldn't get out of bed. I didn't hold my 3 month old for all that time and missed playing with my 2 year old. But hopefully these drugs will give me more time to do this in the future. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Ashley

Want2help
                  Participant

I'm very happy about your positive results! And yes, hopefully you will have much more time with your children thanks to the drugs. Five days is not a long time even if it seems like that when you are ill. All the best!

Want2help
                    Participant

I'm very happy about your positive results! And yes, hopefully you will have much more time with your children thanks to the drugs. Five days is not a long time even if it seems like that when you are ill. All the best!

Want2help
                      Participant

LaurenE
                        Participant

That's wonderful! I'm so glad for your improvement! 

Did you have any side effects before you got very sick? Like minor/baseline fatigue or nausea? Or reactions on the days of infusions? Or was it just that short, severe episode and that's it?

Thank you very much for your insight!

LaurenE
                          Participant

Did you have any side effects before you got very sick? Like minor/baseline fatigue or nausea? Or reactions on the days of infusions? Or was it just that short, severe episode and that's it?

LaurenE
                            Participant

AshleyS
                            Participant

Hi Lauren!

I did not see your post until tonight. I was in this trial at MD Anderson. I made it through 3 of the 4 combo treatments. A week after my third infusion, I got very sick. I had fatigue, nausea, and diarrhea. I lost 20 pounds in four days. 

HOWEVER….

My scans, even without the fourth infusion, were awesome! I previously had 4 sub-q tumors. Gone. My liver tumors shrunk by 80-90%. 

For about 5 days I was miserable. I couldn't get out of bed. I didn't hold my 3 month old for all that time and missed playing with my 2 year old. But hopefully these drugs will give me more time to do this in the future. I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                              Participant

Hi Lauren!

HOWEVER….

Ashley

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics