The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Exhaustion after Cyber/Gamma Knife treatments for brain mets?

Forums General Melanoma Community Exhaustion after Cyber/Gamma Knife treatments for brain mets?

Participant

Hi all,

It's been a week + since I underwent two 3 series Cyberknife treatments on 2 brain mets. I have been exhausted ever since. Have you experienced same? Is this normal or am I just depressed that the targeted immunotherapy I'm on (Mek/Taf) isn't getting up in to my brain? Curious about others' experiences after radio surgery to the brain.

PS- so glad I found this forum where people understand what I'm going through and my language doesn't sound like Swahili! Thank you!

Best,

kali

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

I had 3 small mets last Oct. and had cyber knife treatment at the Ottawa General in Canada. I was back on my mountain bike the next day. Last scan was July and shows things are still clear. I have a MRI scan every 3 months. I started a Immunotherapy trial in Jan of 2014 for two lung mets that they found July of 2013 and I have some fatigue associated with the trial drugs. Stage 4 with Brain and lung mets used to have a 5 month average survival time. I am happy to be able to say that the old stats need to be updated!!!!! Best wishes Ed

kalisama
            Participant

thanks ed, glad to hear of your success. how many treatments did you have on the 3 mets? was it a single treatment or multiple sessions? appreciate your input.

ed williams
              Participant

One treatment that lasted about one hour. The mets that I had were about 3mm in size in three different regions of the brain. The surgeon name was Dr. Sinclair who trained at Standord in stereotactic radiosurgery. I still have the mask , which my 5 year old daughter thinks is really neat. It does get easier, in time, to deal with Melanoma. Best wishes Ed  

tschmith
                Participant

I had Stereotactic Radiosurgery after the removal of a brain met.  I don't recall fatigue as a problem.  However, later on I was treated with Yervoy and went through quite a a difficult trial at NIH. Both failed. My immune system was compromised so that naturally caused fatigue. When the fatigue continued longer than my blood work indicated (I was anemic), I was put on an anti-depressant, focused on a good diet, and exercised.  It helped.  I'm now on Pembro and am feeling better than I was. I think the stress of this disease is hard to deal with so talk to your doctors about your fatigue and concerns of depression.  They can help.  Best wishes!  Terrie

kalisama
                  Participant

Thank you Terrie. Makes a lot of sense.

Best of health to you,
                    kali

kalisama
                    Participant

Best of health to you,
                      kali

kalisama
                      Participant

Best of health to you,
                        kali

tschmith
                        Participant

I had Stereotactic Radiosurgery after the removal of a brain met.  I don't recall fatigue as a problem.  However, later on I was treated with Yervoy and went through quite a a difficult trial at NIH. Both failed. My immune system was compromised so that naturally caused fatigue. When the fatigue continued longer than my blood work indicated (I was anemic), I was put on an anti-depressant, focused on a good diet, and exercised.  It helped.  I'm now on Pembro and am feeling better than I was. I think the stress of this disease is hard to deal with so talk to your doctors about your fatigue and concerns of depression.  They can help.  Best wishes!  Terrie

tschmith
                          Participant

ed williams
                            Participant

One treatment that lasted about one hour. The mets that I had were about 3mm in size in three different regions of the brain. The surgeon name was Dr. Sinclair who trained at Standord in stereotactic radiosurgery. I still have the mask , which my 5 year old daughter thinks is really neat. It does get easier, in time, to deal with Melanoma. Best wishes Ed  

ed williams
                              Participant

kalisama
                                Participant

thanks ed, glad to hear of your success. how many treatments did you have on the 3 mets? was it a single treatment or multiple sessions? appreciate your input.

kalisama
                                  Participant

ed williams
                                  Participant

I had 3 small mets last Oct. and had cyber knife treatment at the Ottawa General in Canada. I was back on my mountain bike the next day. Last scan was July and shows things are still clear. I have a MRI scan every 3 months. I started a Immunotherapy trial in Jan of 2014 for two lung mets that they found July of 2013 and I have some fatigue associated with the trial drugs. Stage 4 with Brain and lung mets used to have a 5 month average survival time. I am happy to be able to say that the old stats need to be updated!!!!! Best wishes Ed

ed williams
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics