The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Exercise immediately after drain removal?

Forums General Melanoma Community Exercise immediately after drain removal?

Participant

Hi there,

My husband has just had his drain removed after an ALND and is unsure whether he should continue his physio exercises whilst the hole is still open. He is worried that if he discontiues them his arm will seize up as he is experiencing what we believe to be axillary web syndrome which is quite painful. On the other side he is also worried that if he does them it will impede the healing process as the wound will keep reopening as he stretches. Help!!! Also if anyone has any tips for axillary web syndrome or cording that would be extremely helpful too. Thanks 🙂

Hi there,

My husband has just had his drain removed after an ALND and is unsure whether he should continue his physio exercises whilst the hole is still open. He is worried that if he discontiues them his arm will seize up as he is experiencing what we believe to be axillary web syndrome which is quite painful. On the other side he is also worried that if he does them it will impede the healing process as the wound will keep reopening as he stretches. Help!!! Also if anyone has any tips for axillary web syndrome or cording that would be extremely helpful too. Thanks 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

If he's experiencing cording, then he needs to see a physical therapist with experience in dealing with it. This site has plenty of information on therapists: http://www.lymphnet.org/. If your hospital has a breast cancer clinic, they should also be able to help you locate a therapist who can help your husband.

There is a massage technique that can be used to loosen that up, so it is treatable. I would be very careful with any exercises with an open wound. At this stage he should only be doing some (very) mild stretches — there's no need to be macho because you don't want to overly stress that arm.

Linny
          Participant

If he's experiencing cording, then he needs to see a physical therapist with experience in dealing with it. This site has plenty of information on therapists: http://www.lymphnet.org/. If your hospital has a breast cancer clinic, they should also be able to help you locate a therapist who can help your husband.

There is a massage technique that can be used to loosen that up, so it is treatable. I would be very careful with any exercises with an open wound. At this stage he should only be doing some (very) mild stretches — there's no need to be macho because you don't want to overly stress that arm.

Linny
            Participant

CarolA
              Participant

Linny's advice is pretty much what I was going to say, about contacting Breast Cancer survivors networks, your local Breast Cancer Association support group.   That is what I did when I was looking for a lymphadema message therapist in my area, or someone who was more experienced in the specifics of axillary lymph node dissection after effects.   They were very kind and supportive, even though my plight was not breast cancer.

The nerve-ending healing after a ALND can be weird and kind of scarey.   Trying to advocate for yourself, educating yourself via internet can be weird and kind of scarey, too.    I have to admit, that I have never read of the cording issue on this melanoma site, but I did while doing my research.    I think your husband would have great peace of mind if he could locate someone in your area (therapist) that is actively involved with breast cancer survivor's treatment.   (I have also been treated for lymphedema, not really bad swelling for me now, but I had secured the services of a PT who knew manual lymphedema massage techniques)

I was not sent home with much information about stretching or exercising post ALND, and I know that breast cancer patients are given specific information.    That is some information that you should be able to secure via internet, but def proceed with caution to have him not over-do it!!

Good luck.   I am sure his healing will progress nicely in his axilla.  It's the darn mental state that is hard to calm, wanting to see progress in healing sooner than it can sometimes be done.

CarolA

CarolA
                Participant

Linny's advice is pretty much what I was going to say, about contacting Breast Cancer survivors networks, your local Breast Cancer Association support group.   That is what I did when I was looking for a lymphadema message therapist in my area, or someone who was more experienced in the specifics of axillary lymph node dissection after effects.   They were very kind and supportive, even though my plight was not breast cancer.

The nerve-ending healing after a ALND can be weird and kind of scarey.   Trying to advocate for yourself, educating yourself via internet can be weird and kind of scarey, too.    I have to admit, that I have never read of the cording issue on this melanoma site, but I did while doing my research.    I think your husband would have great peace of mind if he could locate someone in your area (therapist) that is actively involved with breast cancer survivor's treatment.   (I have also been treated for lymphedema, not really bad swelling for me now, but I had secured the services of a PT who knew manual lymphedema massage techniques)

I was not sent home with much information about stretching or exercising post ALND, and I know that breast cancer patients are given specific information.    That is some information that you should be able to secure via internet, but def proceed with caution to have him not over-do it!!

Good luck.   I am sure his healing will progress nicely in his axilla.  It's the darn mental state that is hard to calm, wanting to see progress in healing sooner than it can sometimes be done.

CarolA

CarolA
                  Participant

CarolA

Linny
                    Participant

Carol reminded me of one more thing I forgot to mention. He should get measured for a compression sleeve. He'll need one if he travels anywhere via plane. Your limbs can swell during flights and that's the last thing you want when you're at risk for lymphedema. The sleeve will help curb any swelling. I wear mine on hot/humid days too and it works well. Also wear it when I do gardening. Don't blindly go and order one on line, you need to be measured for it by a therapist because and ill-fitting garment will do more harm than good.

Tufty7
                        Participant

Thanks everyone for your advice. He has got an appointment with his physiotherapist next week who knows the problem well and will teach him how to manage it. We are doing our best until then.  I am not sure where to get a compression sleeve fitted here, as I think it is just a case of ordering one online. (we live in India) I am wondering if there are any sites that teach you how to measure for one so that we can do it ourselves and order one that way. I can get one sent from the UK or the US if there is nothing here. I will have to do a bit of research on that.

Tufty7
                          Participant

Thanks everyone for your advice. He has got an appointment with his physiotherapist next week who knows the problem well and will teach him how to manage it. We are doing our best until then.  I am not sure where to get a compression sleeve fitted here, as I think it is just a case of ordering one online. (we live in India) I am wondering if there are any sites that teach you how to measure for one so that we can do it ourselves and order one that way. I can get one sent from the UK or the US if there is nothing here. I will have to do a bit of research on that.

Tufty7
                            Participant

Tufty7
                              Participant

Sorry I forgot to say that the physiotherapist told him to continue with his exercises, so that is what he is doing. I give his arm a gentle massage before he does his exercises so that the tightness is relieved a bit and he can lift his arm. Will be glad to get the proper hands on advice next week though of how to massage it properly so I know I am doing the right thing.

Tufty7
                                Participant

Sorry I forgot to say that the physiotherapist told him to continue with his exercises, so that is what he is doing. I give his arm a gentle massage before he does his exercises so that the tightness is relieved a bit and he can lift his arm. Will be glad to get the proper hands on advice next week though of how to massage it properly so I know I am doing the right thing.

Tufty7
                                  Participant

Linny
                                    Participant

The physiotherapist should be able to measure his arm for a sleeve and be able to recommend where to get one from. In the US we require a doctor's prescription for one. Not sure what the requirements for one would be in India. Juzo and LympheDivas have some really nice sleeves.

Linny
                                      Participant

The physiotherapist should be able to measure his arm for a sleeve and be able to recommend where to get one from. In the US we require a doctor's prescription for one. Not sure what the requirements for one would be in India. Juzo and LympheDivas have some really nice sleeves.

Tufty7
                                        Participant

Thanks I will get him to ask the PT to measure him. Most of the sleeve sites seem to be targeting women tho…. has anyone found any that are more male orientated?

Tufty7
                                          Participant

Thanks I will get him to ask the PT to measure him. Most of the sleeve sites seem to be targeting women tho…. has anyone found any that are more male orientated?

Tufty7
                                            Participant

Linny
                                              Participant

Linny
                                              Participant

Carol reminded me of one more thing I forgot to mention. He should get measured for a compression sleeve. He'll need one if he travels anywhere via plane. Your limbs can swell during flights and that's the last thing you want when you're at risk for lymphedema. The sleeve will help curb any swelling. I wear mine on hot/humid days too and it works well. Also wear it when I do gardening. Don't blindly go and order one on line, you need to be measured for it by a therapist because and ill-fitting garment will do more harm than good.

Linny
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics