The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Excision results vs punch biopsy results

Forums General Melanoma Community Excision results vs punch biopsy results

Participant
      Hello!

Just a quick question for anyone out there who might have had a similar experience.

On 06/28 I had a punch biopsy of a mole on my right leg. The path report came back positive for melanoma depth of 0.44mm, no ulceration, mitotic rate of 0.

On 07/13 I had the rest of the lesion excised. My surgeon wanted to do this before the WLE to get a full path report before destroying the lymphatic flow in case I needed a SLN biopsy.

I called today for the results because the anxiety was killing me. Turns out the PA my doc usually works with had a baby yesterday so I got her very fresh replacement. Anyway, the PA said I’d that I’d have to discuss it with my surgeon and was confused because the report came back as “no evidence of residual tumor in specimen.”

I’m confused since the original path report said the edges WERE involved (but that it had clean deep margins).

Don’t get me wrong, I desperately want this to be true but how likely is it?

I have an appointment on Thursday morning with my surgeon.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

That is actually not all that uncommon. The scar tissue/fibrosis/healing either obscures or takes care of the extra melanoma cells.   Don't stress about it – go with what you know.  Stage 1a.  Have your WLE and move on!

Alce123
            Participant
              Thank you so much for responding Janner! And you were right… there was no tumor in the specimen so 1a it is. Still a little freaked out (especially about trying to get pregnant since I’m 32 and married for 2 years) BUT so thankful it’s not worse! Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚
              Alce123
              Participant
                Thank you so much for responding Janner! And you were right… there was no tumor in the specimen so 1a it is. Still a little freaked out (especially about trying to get pregnant since I’m 32 and married for 2 years) BUT so thankful it’s not worse! Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚
                Alce123
                Participant
                Janner
                Participant

That is actually not all that uncommon. The scar tissue/fibrosis/healing either obscures or takes care of the extra melanoma cells.   Don't stress about it – go with what you know.  Stage 1a.  Have your WLE and move on!

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics