The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Excision and second biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Excision and second biopsy

Participant

Hi, hoping for some insight.  Seven years ago I had shave biopsy on a mole which changed shape during pregnancy.  I remember being told pathology was fine but I did not ask for written lab results…something I now always do.  I have a new dermatologist and mentioned this mole removed years ago.  She looked and noticed a bit of color but wasn't sure if it was part the remaining mole or scaring. Because I didn't have the original pathology results we decided to biopsy it again. Pathology came back as mild atypical, excision recommended.  My doctor is out of the office this week so the nurse called.

Is excision really necessary for mild atypical?  Would scarring for multiple shave biopsy hide more advanced atypical cells in the current pathology results?  Should I be worried this mole was more serious seven years ago?  I thinking because there are no original slides to compare to the pathologist recommended complete excision.  Thx

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Mildly atypical lesions – depending on who you talk to – may or may not need to be excised.  Many derms are fine with leaving mildly atypical lesions and only watching for pigment regrowth.  Others want any lesion with any atypical cells removed.

So here's my take.  Any time you look at a lesion that has scar tissue, it will look "worse".   Scar tissue muddles things.  So you probably had a benign lesion 7 years ago or at worse, mildly atypical then.  But when you look at it now, it might look worse just because scar tissue exists.  My derm prefers to remove mildly atypical lesions completely but, I'm certain, if I really pushed him on it, he would just say we will watch for any pigment regrowth. 

Honestly, I think you could go either way – it's what makes YOU comfortable.  But I don't think I would be worrying about the original lesion – extremely unlikely it was worse than mildly atypical like the current lesion.

msnow
            Participant

Thanks for the reply and sharing your knowledge.  After some thought and trying to obtain my original pathology to no avail I decided to go ahead with the excision with the plastic surgeon.  

Just curious if you might know: can scar tissue from a previous shave biospy years ago hide more serious atypica or melanoma or would a pathologist be able to decipher this with my second shave biopsy?  Was talking with the nurse as my dermatologist is on vacation who stated.. We just have to wait and see what the excision pathology brings back.  I'm a bit confused as the latest biopsy states mild atypica.  She also said because the current dermatopathologist doesn't have the original report/sample they requested a total excision to make sure any atypica cells are removed.  Thanks again 

msnow
              Participant

Thanks for the reply and sharing your knowledge.  After some thought and trying to obtain my original pathology to no avail I decided to go ahead with the excision with the plastic surgeon.  

Just curious if you might know: can scar tissue from a previous shave biospy years ago hide more serious atypica or melanoma or would a pathologist be able to decipher this with my second shave biopsy?  Was talking with the nurse as my dermatologist is on vacation who stated.. We just have to wait and see what the excision pathology brings back.  I'm a bit confused as the latest biopsy states mild atypica.  She also said because the current dermatopathologist doesn't have the original report/sample they requested a total excision to make sure any atypica cells are removed.  Thanks again 

msnow
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

Mildly atypical lesions – depending on who you talk to – may or may not need to be excised.  Many derms are fine with leaving mildly atypical lesions and only watching for pigment regrowth.  Others want any lesion with any atypical cells removed.

So here's my take.  Any time you look at a lesion that has scar tissue, it will look "worse".   Scar tissue muddles things.  So you probably had a benign lesion 7 years ago or at worse, mildly atypical then.  But when you look at it now, it might look worse just because scar tissue exists.  My derm prefers to remove mildly atypical lesions completely but, I'm certain, if I really pushed him on it, he would just say we will watch for any pigment regrowth. 

Honestly, I think you could go either way – it's what makes YOU comfortable.  But I don't think I would be worrying about the original lesion – extremely unlikely it was worse than mildly atypical like the current lesion.

Janner
                  Participant

Gene_S
                    Participant

You can always get your records from the old dermatologist and possibly copies of path report.

At least then you would know what exactly was said about the first one and then I would keep a personal file on dermatology reports, surgeries, pathologies.

Gene_S
                      Participant

You can always get your records from the old dermatologist and possibly copies of path report.

At least then you would know what exactly was said about the first one and then I would keep a personal file on dermatology reports, surgeries, pathologies.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics