The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eric got his Social Security Disablity Backdated! You can too!

Forums General Melanoma Community Eric got his Social Security Disablity Backdated! You can too!

Participant

When I first met with SS to apply for Eric's disability the guy who helped me said that he was going to try and backdate Eric's disability because it was obvious that Eric worked while he was very ill.  We got the letter in the mail that the backdating was declined because he made more than $1,000 a month while he worked, so we figured that was it….we were wrong.

When I first met with SS to apply for Eric's disability the guy who helped me said that he was going to try and backdate Eric's disability because it was obvious that Eric worked while he was very ill.  We got the letter in the mail that the backdating was declined because he made more than $1,000 a month while he worked, so we figured that was it….we were wrong.

On March 2nd, I had an appointment to add our daughters to Eric's SSD claim.  Since we had the 5 month waiting period which would be over April 1st, I wasn't in a big hurry to get them added at the initial appointment.  I think this is where God had a plan all along.  So I sat down with the clerk that called my name and she said "I know you came in today to add your children to the SSD claim, but we are going to work on something else today."  I was shocked.  She said that she reviewed Eric's claim and she couldn't believe that it wasn't backdated.  I told her that the previous clerk tried to get it through but it was declined.  She said that the necessary paperwork wasn't completed so she was going to help me with that.

So heres the deal!  If you worked as long as you could while you were Stage 4 you might still be able to have your claim backdated!  Even though Eric made more than $1,000 a month, they approved his backdating when we sent in the reconsideration.  You will need to have your employer complete a form that Social Security has.  It's a form that basically states that you did not work at full capacity while you were working with cancer.  Eric's employer checked the box that said he was working at 50% capacity so Social Security automatically took 50% off of his income.  They consider that 50% a disability payment from your employer and not earned income.  THEN, you get a letter from your Oncologist that says that your medical bills were necessary for your condition and it needs to state your diagnosis and date of diagnosis.  That will allow Social Security to deduct all of your medical bills during that time.  We had $5,000 in medical bills and they deducted them from his income.  I'm pretty organized so I had all his medical bills on a spreadsheet and then I put them in an envelope and took them into the SS office.  A week letter the SS clerk called and told us it was approved.  We will be getting a check for $14,760.00!!!! for 10 months backpay!

I wanted to post this in hopes that it can help someone else.   I was very lucky that I got the right clerk who really cared.  Please be sure to ask that you get the right forms you need to have your claim backdated.

Hope I have helped.  JillNEric in OH

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        BethA in VA
        Participant

I think it is amazing that with all you are going thru, you are busy posting information to help others.  I'm glad it was backdated.  Good luck!  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
          Participant

I think it is amazing that with all you are going thru, you are busy posting information to help others.  I'm glad it was backdated.  Good luck!  Beth 3/B

alicia
            Participant

Jill I agree with Beth, you are so thoughtful!!!!  I am so glad God put that clerk in your path that day.  You all deserve all that and more for what you are going through.  I can only hope and pray that more clerks, workers, etc that are dealing with families who are caring for a very ill patient with a serious illness would have more compassion and not try to make things any more difficult for them.  Hugs to your famliy:)

Alicia stage 3 w/ 3 primaries

alicia
              Participant

Jill I agree with Beth, you are so thoughtful!!!!  I am so glad God put that clerk in your path that day.  You all deserve all that and more for what you are going through.  I can only hope and pray that more clerks, workers, etc that are dealing with families who are caring for a very ill patient with a serious illness would have more compassion and not try to make things any more difficult for them.  Hugs to your famliy:)

Alicia stage 3 w/ 3 primaries

Sherron
                Participant

Jill, Yes, yes, yes…..the same happened for Jim……only Jim didn't live long enough to know about it.  But it has certainly helped me in the past few months.  They are some people who really care, and really look at the situation…Thank you God for these people.  I am so happy for you!

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                  Participant

Jill, Yes, yes, yes…..the same happened for Jim……only Jim didn't live long enough to know about it.  But it has certainly helped me in the past few months.  They are some people who really care, and really look at the situation…Thank you God for these people.  I am so happy for you!

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Jill! that's great news. You needed some kind of break!

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Jill! that's great news. You needed some kind of break!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics