The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Enlarged Lymph Node in Neck

Forums General Melanoma Community Enlarged Lymph Node in Neck

Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 1 one year ago (site was right back). Had wide excision, negative SN. Now ultrasound is showing enlarged lymph node in my left neck. Wouldn't this be an unlikely area considering my original location and stage? The doctor has me scheduled for a ct scan on Thursday.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracey

I was diagnosed with stage 1 one year ago (site was right back). Had wide excision, negative SN. Now ultrasound is showing enlarged lymph node in my left neck. Wouldn't this be an unlikely area considering my original location and stage? The doctor has me scheduled for a ct scan on Thursday.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracey

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Tracey,

It could be an infection but it's best for your Doctor to be proactive and to make sure!!   Unfortunately mel doesn't follow any rules so while you would hope that it doesn't jump lymph regions it can. Mine spread via blood and not the lymph system. 

Until you have the results remember that he is just checking, it might just be something else!!  I have had nodes that have swelled and gone down on their own.

Fingers are crossed for you!  Let us know the results.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

TLR
            Participant

Thanks for your encouragement, just very anxious at this point.

TLR
              Participant

Thanks for your encouragement, just very anxious at this point.

lhaley
              Participant

Tracey,

It could be an infection but it's best for your Doctor to be proactive and to make sure!!   Unfortunately mel doesn't follow any rules so while you would hope that it doesn't jump lymph regions it can. Mine spread via blood and not the lymph system. 

Until you have the results remember that he is just checking, it might just be something else!!  I have had nodes that have swelled and gone down on their own.

Fingers are crossed for you!  Let us know the results.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

DebbieH
                Participant

This may be nothing at all and the scan will hopefully put your mind to rest.

Unfortunately, this board is full of stage 1 people who progressed years later.  Good luck to you.  I'm hoping you'll come back and tell us this was a false alarm. 

DebbieH
                  Participant

This may be nothing at all and the scan will hopefully put your mind to rest.

Unfortunately, this board is full of stage 1 people who progressed years later.  Good luck to you.  I'm hoping you'll come back and tell us this was a false alarm. 

Joan C
                    Participant

I had an enlarged lymph node right near my melanoma site last year, I am also stage 1.  A PET scan showed nothing, but the doc wanted to remove it anyway.  Thankfully it was benign.  Could have been enlarged from an old infection and just never went down, he said.

What prompted the ultrasound?  Can you feel the node?  Nodes swell often if you are sick, of course.

Joan C
                      Participant

I had an enlarged lymph node right near my melanoma site last year, I am also stage 1.  A PET scan showed nothing, but the doc wanted to remove it anyway.  Thankfully it was benign.  Could have been enlarged from an old infection and just never went down, he said.

What prompted the ultrasound?  Can you feel the node?  Nodes swell often if you are sick, of course.

Joan C
                        Participant

TLR
                            Participant

The ultrasound was done to check the carotid arteries and they found the enlarged lymph node incidentitally. I have been haveing a lot of neck and shoulder pain on the left side, but that wasn't the reason for the ultrasound.

TLR
                              Participant

The ultrasound was done to check the carotid arteries and they found the enlarged lymph node incidentitally. I have been haveing a lot of neck and shoulder pain on the left side, but that wasn't the reason for the ultrasound.

Joan C
                              Participant

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics