The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

endoscopy and colonoscopy for rectal bleeding?

Forums General Melanoma Community endoscopy and colonoscopy for rectal bleeding?

Participant

For about two months, off and on, I had what seemed to be a hemoroid or small tear that would bleed when I wiped. It seems to have resolved, but my dermo felt I should have a GI consult. I was advised to take any bleeding seriously . I was told melanoma likes to go to the small intestines ( I am stage IV / NED) so, I should have an endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy. I have no other symptoms. Has anyone else gone ahead with these procedures because of a bit of bleeding that comes and goes? I am going to go ahead and have them done on Friday.

For about two months, off and on, I had what seemed to be a hemoroid or small tear that would bleed when I wiped. It seems to have resolved, but my dermo felt I should have a GI consult. I was advised to take any bleeding seriously . I was told melanoma likes to go to the small intestines ( I am stage IV / NED) so, I should have an endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy. I have no other symptoms. Has anyone else gone ahead with these procedures because of a bit of bleeding that comes and goes? I am going to go ahead and have them done on Friday.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I have had colosopies ( a few) the first one for rectal bleeding.  Just plain old polyps.  Prep is not fun at all, procedure is easy.  Don't know how old you are, but chances are that is all it is.  Try not to worry too much, usually nothing but they can become something if you let them grow. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

vivian
            Participant

Yes, I have had both many times, because of my age and health history.  The last time was ahead of routine schedule, because I mentioned bleeding to my melanoma oncologist.  He scheduled the colonoscopy and endoscopy right away.  All was fine!  You probably know by now (since your procedure is tomorrow) that the prep is yucky.  The procedure itself – piece of cake!   I hope by this time tomorrow you are feeling fine.

Lear

vivian
              Participant

Yes, I have had both many times, because of my age and health history.  The last time was ahead of routine schedule, because I mentioned bleeding to my melanoma oncologist.  He scheduled the colonoscopy and endoscopy right away.  All was fine!  You probably know by now (since your procedure is tomorrow) that the prep is yucky.  The procedure itself – piece of cake!   I hope by this time tomorrow you are feeling fine.

Lear

vivian
                Participant

Lear

washoegal
                Participant

I have had colosopies ( a few) the first one for rectal bleeding.  Just plain old polyps.  Prep is not fun at all, procedure is easy.  Don't know how old you are, but chances are that is all it is.  Try not to worry too much, usually nothing but they can become something if you let them grow. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics