The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

End of 2 year clinical trial

Forums General Melanoma Community End of 2 year clinical trial

Participant

Hello All,

My husband is approaching the end of a 2 year clinical trial.  Pembrolizumab every 3 weeks, Peg interferon every week. As grueling as the trial has been, the thought of treatment ceasing is unsettling.

It seems the meds have stopped the growth of a tumor in his neck and sternum, although the tumor in the sternum is still actively present.  The sternum appears to be a very tricky area to treat. 

Can anyone can offer treatment suggestions or questions we can ask Dr. Kirkwood pertaining to sternum treatment?  Any support or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing everyone good health, love and happiness!

Kindly,

Jenine

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        AMcReader
        Participant

Hi Jennie, I’m not there yet but I can imagine that approaching the end of a specific treatment is nerve-wracking! I’ll be thinking of you both while you manage that.

I don’t have an specific experience with sternum mets but I’m wondering if SRS might be a good option. There is a plethora of research that points to the efficacy of SRS with immunotherapy being better together than either treatment alone and that extra boost might help your husband overcome what is hopefully the last hurdle before NED. 

There are many others hat are way more experienced and knowledgeable than me so other people may have some more suggestions but that’s what I’d ask my doctor about next.

Good luck to you both!!

Jenine
            Participant

Thank you Amanda. Wishing you all the best with your treatment. 

Jenbe and Bill

Mark_DC
              Participant

Hi Jenine, I am not an expert but is t-vec or something else injectable a possibility, combined with the pembro? It might give the pembro an extra kick. This depends on the sternum being injectable. After one year on pembro with stable disease / slow progression, we decided to add tvec (instead of a difficult resection) and this seems to have helped. It was touch and go for insurance to cover this (even though it seems to be working!) but maybe there is a clinical trial for this or what texmelanomex did?

i think i am coming up to two years on pembro soon – with a three month break – i dont like but with stable disease like you i would be kind of scared to give it up. 

Good luck Mark

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics