The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Employers who have self insurance for health coverage

Forums General Melanoma Community Employers who have self insurance for health coverage

Participant

I hope someone can explain this. The announcement that the FDA has approved the ippi-nivo combination for melanoma patients who are wild-types also included a statement that a year's worth of the treatment would cost in the neighborhood of $250,000.

Here's the queston. I get my insurance through my husband's employer who self-insures. Can my husband's employer fire him because they don't like my medical bills and do not want to be responsible for them? Has anyone dealt with this?

Don't even get me started on how the cost could be $250,000 – I do not understand why anyone whould think I am worth that kind of bill.

Best wishes to all.

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I don't know a lot about it but I think it depends. From my experience Some states like Missouri where I'm at can fire a person for any or no reason. However the employer in my experience then has to offer cobra insurance. Which is basically still the same insurance but it ends after a couple years and you have to pay a monthly premium which I found to only be a small amount compared to not having it. Cobra somehow then becomes Medicare if you are disabled which I think stage 4 is an almost automatic qualifier. But I don't understand that part yet. I'm hoping to hold onto cobra until the end of next year like it says on their website for me.

Other states there might be grounds for a law suit but a smart employer would just trump up some minor things against your husband and say that's the reason.

Sorry I didn't have something positive to say about it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

I don't know a lot about it but I think it depends. From my experience Some states like Missouri where I'm at can fire a person for any or no reason. However the employer in my experience then has to offer cobra insurance. Which is basically still the same insurance but it ends after a couple years and you have to pay a monthly premium which I found to only be a small amount compared to not having it. Cobra somehow then becomes Medicare if you are disabled which I think stage 4 is an almost automatic qualifier. But I don't understand that part yet. I'm hoping to hold onto cobra until the end of next year like it says on their website for me.

Other states there might be grounds for a law suit but a smart employer would just trump up some minor things against your husband and say that's the reason.

Artie

geriakt
              Participant

Mary,

Have you considered purchasing your own health insurance?  Cobra is not cheep and where I live I had cobra at over $500 a month and at the time I purchase my own health care for $150 a month. My current premium is $330 a month in FL for a PPO surgical plan with $2500 deductible and $7500 out of pocket a year. This is not Obama Care.  

Self insurance for a small employer will become a hardship for a small company.  I am self employed and I always found having health care insurance gave me peace of mind.  Then I go cancer and really needed it. Possibly your husband can come to a compromise with his empolyer and see if they will pay your premium or a part of it to keep you off their plan. 

Tom

mary1233
                Participant

How is it fair that my husband who has served this company well for over 25 years could be fired because I get sick and it is not illegal?

The employer hires and administrator. Is the individual health (confidential, as per HIPPA) information shared with the employer?

Cobra, while an option, is very expensive. I guess the takeaway here is that insurance is great to have as long as you don't need it.

I am officially disgusted.

Mary

Polymath
                  Participant

Hi Mary,

My first thoughts are yes, you are worth it so whatever you do, move forward knowing this.

I do think health record information is kept confidential, so while an employer may see their premiums rise due to claims, I am not so sure they could ever know exactly who or what caused it.  Its an important reason why so many of us choose to remain as silent as possible regarding our condition.  There will be unintended consequences of "going public".  If your situation is unknown by employer, and your husbands co-workers, he may be safe from any retribution from employer.  But if not, and your feeling is that his employment may be threatened then you should look into purchasing an individual plan, like self-employed people do.  I'm one of those, and while no fan of Obamacare, it did allow me to purchase the highest level plan available which may seem like a hefty premium, but compared to the coverage I received is a tiny drop in the bucket.  All plan premiums like mine will skyrocket by more than 27%-35% in my state this next year precisely because of people like me, but again, I am certain my health care expenses so far have easily exceeded $250k, and continue to grow.

Polymath
                    Participant

Hi Mary,

My first thoughts are yes, you are worth it so whatever you do, move forward knowing this.

I do think health record information is kept confidential, so while an employer may see their premiums rise due to claims, I am not so sure they could ever know exactly who or what caused it.  Its an important reason why so many of us choose to remain as silent as possible regarding our condition.  There will be unintended consequences of "going public".  If your situation is unknown by employer, and your husbands co-workers, he may be safe from any retribution from employer.  But if not, and your feeling is that his employment may be threatened then you should look into purchasing an individual plan, like self-employed people do.  I'm one of those, and while no fan of Obamacare, it did allow me to purchase the highest level plan available which may seem like a hefty premium, but compared to the coverage I received is a tiny drop in the bucket.  All plan premiums like mine will skyrocket by more than 27%-35% in my state this next year precisely because of people like me, but again, I am certain my health care expenses so far have easily exceeded $250k, and continue to grow.

Polymath
                      Participant

Hi Mary,

marta010
                        Participant

Mary – employers who chose to self-insure most likely purchase a stop loss policy from an insurance company that will cover catastrophic claims that exceed a specified dollar amount so the entire cost of your medical bills are not born by the employer.   Also, keep in mind that the $250,000 cost is full retail – even a self insured medical program will have negotiated discounts with medical providers and pharmacy providers.  Your husband's employer would face a significant legal risk if they terminated his employment due to your medical bills.  You are worth every penny of the cost – focus your efforts on beating this disease.  Take care.

marta010
                          Participant

Mary – employers who chose to self-insure most likely purchase a stop loss policy from an insurance company that will cover catastrophic claims that exceed a specified dollar amount so the entire cost of your medical bills are not born by the employer.   Also, keep in mind that the $250,000 cost is full retail – even a self insured medical program will have negotiated discounts with medical providers and pharmacy providers.  Your husband's employer would face a significant legal risk if they terminated his employment due to your medical bills.  You are worth every penny of the cost – focus your efforts on beating this disease.  Take care.

marta010
                            Participant

mary1233
                              Participant

How is it fair that my husband who has served this company well for over 25 years could be fired because I get sick and it is not illegal?

The employer hires and administrator. Is the individual health (confidential, as per HIPPA) information shared with the employer?

Cobra, while an option, is very expensive. I guess the takeaway here is that insurance is great to have as long as you don't need it.

Mary

mary1233
                                Participant

Mary

geriakt
                                  Participant

Mary,

Have you considered purchasing your own health insurance?  Cobra is not cheep and where I live I had cobra at over $500 a month and at the time I purchase my own health care for $150 a month. My current premium is $330 a month in FL for a PPO surgical plan with $2500 deductible and $7500 out of pocket a year. This is not Obama Care.  

Self insurance for a small employer will become a hardship for a small company.  I am self employed and I always found having health care insurance gave me peace of mind.  Then I go cancer and really needed it. Possibly your husband can come to a compromise with his empolyer and see if they will pay your premium or a part of it to keep you off their plan. 

Tom

geriakt
                                    Participant

Mary,

Tom

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Artie

Ames K
                                      Participant

Hi Mary, I'm sorry about your situation. I'm stage 4 and have been fighting this for some years and unfortunrtately the same exact situation happened to me thru my husbands company. I'm sure they got tired of my bills, but from what I understand a company can fire anyone anytime. It really does suck that there are such awful people that would do this to a family. We were offered cobra, which they have to do, but it's not cheap…..at all!!!

Ames K
                                        Participant

Hi Mary, I'm sorry about your situation. I'm stage 4 and have been fighting this for some years and unfortunrtately the same exact situation happened to me thru my husbands company. I'm sure they got tired of my bills, but from what I understand a company can fire anyone anytime. It really does suck that there are such awful people that would do this to a family. We were offered cobra, which they have to do, but it's not cheap…..at all!!!

Ames K
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics