The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Emotional Rollercoaster

Forums General Melanoma Community Emotional Rollercoaster

Participant

Since finding out 2 weeks ago they found a few small nodules on my lungs, I've been in fairly good spirits considering. I'm trying to remain hopeful that in another 2 weeks, they will find they havn't grown or not prove to be anything at all.  That being said, today I'm having a really weak day.  All I can think of  is this cancer spreading like wildfire throughout my body and that my next CT scan may reveal many spots that may not be controlled at all.  This is my biggest fear and I'm becoming increasingly more frightened.

Since finding out 2 weeks ago they found a few small nodules on my lungs, I've been in fairly good spirits considering. I'm trying to remain hopeful that in another 2 weeks, they will find they havn't grown or not prove to be anything at all.  That being said, today I'm having a really weak day.  All I can think of  is this cancer spreading like wildfire throughout my body and that my next CT scan may reveal many spots that may not be controlled at all.  This is my biggest fear and I'm becoming increasingly more frightened.

We just sold our condo and bought a beautiful house that we move into in August and I can't seem to get excited about it because I fear I may not even begin to enjoy it. My husband talks about us growing old in this house and watching our daughter grow up and go to school and I don't even know if I'll be here next year.  Right now, they don't know what these spots are because they're so small (measuring a sonometer ??) so I have to be remain strong.  

I really hate that this is happening to me and I want so badly to be able to live much longer than these stupid statistics indicate. Most of the time I'm probably in denial about the whole seriousness of this situation, but deep down, I'm always hopeful and positive – except today.

Lisa 

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

I'll ride this rolloer coaster with you as best I can. Move over!

Here's a statistic for you: you're 100% human. 1 in 1 chance. Unless someone corrects my math, "math" is a 4-letter word for me. Anyway, you've got a lot going on in life that's great, and then you've got "this." Again, human. You're not "weak." Even positive, hopeful, optimistic people have rough days. I'm the choir director of PHOP and I have these days. Again, a 100% chance you're going to take a roller coaster ride every once in a while.

Of course you want to see your daughter grow up, grow old in your house with your husband and watch him grow older too. Can we throw the stats away at this point? Statistics can serve a useful purpose, to a degree. Some of us get a great deal out of stats. I, for one, don't. For every stat that exists, we ALL fall either on the good side or the wrong side. And then within that spectrum, we fall in a myriad of places depending on a lot of factors. You're a person. With your own unique body and chemistry and history and response to treatments. Yeah, you'll fall along a statistical line, but don't let it get you down.

I know you're worried about the cancer growing inside and there's nothing you can do about it and you've got a two week wait. Instead of picturing all that, how about looking at your little girl and picturing her growing up in your house. Picture you and your husband having grand times playing with her.

Now, go outside and make it happen! Get out and do something positive, with the ones you love or at least tolerate. Find something to laugh at and laugh! Turn on your favorite upbeat music and belt out loud with it.  Do things that will improve your mood and get your roller coaster aiming upwards.

Bottom line, Lisa, there are things you can't control. There are things you CAN control. Until you actually know what you're dealing with, try to focus on things you can do something about. And, control how you respond and react to life's uncertainties. You can choose to dust yourself off and not let melanoma control your attitude.

All the best to you Friend.

Lord, in Your mercy, help Your child Lisa with this. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
          Participant

I'll ride this rolloer coaster with you as best I can. Move over!

Here's a statistic for you: you're 100% human. 1 in 1 chance. Unless someone corrects my math, "math" is a 4-letter word for me. Anyway, you've got a lot going on in life that's great, and then you've got "this." Again, human. You're not "weak." Even positive, hopeful, optimistic people have rough days. I'm the choir director of PHOP and I have these days. Again, a 100% chance you're going to take a roller coaster ride every once in a while.

Of course you want to see your daughter grow up, grow old in your house with your husband and watch him grow older too. Can we throw the stats away at this point? Statistics can serve a useful purpose, to a degree. Some of us get a great deal out of stats. I, for one, don't. For every stat that exists, we ALL fall either on the good side or the wrong side. And then within that spectrum, we fall in a myriad of places depending on a lot of factors. You're a person. With your own unique body and chemistry and history and response to treatments. Yeah, you'll fall along a statistical line, but don't let it get you down.

I know you're worried about the cancer growing inside and there's nothing you can do about it and you've got a two week wait. Instead of picturing all that, how about looking at your little girl and picturing her growing up in your house. Picture you and your husband having grand times playing with her.

Now, go outside and make it happen! Get out and do something positive, with the ones you love or at least tolerate. Find something to laugh at and laugh! Turn on your favorite upbeat music and belt out loud with it.  Do things that will improve your mood and get your roller coaster aiming upwards.

Bottom line, Lisa, there are things you can't control. There are things you CAN control. Until you actually know what you're dealing with, try to focus on things you can do something about. And, control how you respond and react to life's uncertainties. You can choose to dust yourself off and not let melanoma control your attitude.

All the best to you Friend.

Lord, in Your mercy, help Your child Lisa with this. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

ShariC
            Participant

Lisa – I sometimes think our body knows what it needs – emotionally too.  If its time (for a day!) to allow yourself to ruminate about the seriousness of your diagnosis…maybe let yourself do that for a day. 

Its rainy and cold here today.  I don't know where you are…but, on a day like today, I, also, just want to put my jammies back on and go back to bed!!  We ALL live with this fear that you described.  Whether they've found something in our bodies (yet), or not.  I have had a headache for 5 days straight now.  It doesn't feel like a regular headache, its localized.  So, of course, I imagine that its brain mets – growing, wreaking havoc – it might be.  I imagine that the small cough I sometimes get means my lungs are filling with tumors – they might be.  The list goes on and on and on.  Somebody here described it as living with a sword over our heads…I think, "when is the other shoe going to drop"?  Every day I think – perhaps this is the healthiest I'll ever be again.  And that thought ALSO scares the shit out of me.  Stupid thoughts cross my mind:  Will this be the last dog I ever own?  Will I outlast the expiration of my debit card? 

We all think like this…every day.  It sucks.  And, I think, most cancer patients deal with this no matter what their prognosis is.  I actually think this takes the greatest mental toll on us all.  If its not foremost in my mind…its definitely there nagging me every single minute of every day.  For that reason, counseling is a great idea. 

Anyway…just wanted to let you know I understand and feel for you.  Mostly…allow yourself to feel what you need to feel and keep in touch.  We're all here…in basically the same place.  Sorry…this isn't very 'upbeat' and I don't know if it will help or not to know that others feel the same way.  I hope so!…keep on keeping on!! – Shari

Terra
                Participant

I know I am not the patient but I do watch my husband (we also have young chidlren)  go through these phases of hopefulness and despair, good days and bad days.  As a caregiver, and I know it is not the same, I try to grit my teeth and doggedly get though these days.  Both my husband and I still talk about the future, here and there, much less since we have progressed well into stage 4, but sometimes comments still sneak out.   Your husband is probably trying to be strong and positive for you, helpful or not. 

We originally found two spots in Dereks lung, one was positive and one was negative for melanoma, I know many others on this board who have had scares on their lungs and they have turned out to be nothing.  I hope the same happens with you.  I hope you are able to get through the rest of this day a little easier after reading everyones posts and hope the rest of the time goes by quick.

Enjoy the days when you are interested in the new house and just get throught the days your not, cancer is certainly a marathon not a sprint.

Thinking of you

Terra
                  Participant

I know I am not the patient but I do watch my husband (we also have young chidlren)  go through these phases of hopefulness and despair, good days and bad days.  As a caregiver, and I know it is not the same, I try to grit my teeth and doggedly get though these days.  Both my husband and I still talk about the future, here and there, much less since we have progressed well into stage 4, but sometimes comments still sneak out.   Your husband is probably trying to be strong and positive for you, helpful or not. 

We originally found two spots in Dereks lung, one was positive and one was negative for melanoma, I know many others on this board who have had scares on their lungs and they have turned out to be nothing.  I hope the same happens with you.  I hope you are able to get through the rest of this day a little easier after reading everyones posts and hope the rest of the time goes by quick.

Enjoy the days when you are interested in the new house and just get throught the days your not, cancer is certainly a marathon not a sprint.

Thinking of you

ShariC
                  Participant

Lisa – I sometimes think our body knows what it needs – emotionally too.  If its time (for a day!) to allow yourself to ruminate about the seriousness of your diagnosis…maybe let yourself do that for a day. 

Its rainy and cold here today.  I don't know where you are…but, on a day like today, I, also, just want to put my jammies back on and go back to bed!!  We ALL live with this fear that you described.  Whether they've found something in our bodies (yet), or not.  I have had a headache for 5 days straight now.  It doesn't feel like a regular headache, its localized.  So, of course, I imagine that its brain mets – growing, wreaking havoc – it might be.  I imagine that the small cough I sometimes get means my lungs are filling with tumors – they might be.  The list goes on and on and on.  Somebody here described it as living with a sword over our heads…I think, "when is the other shoe going to drop"?  Every day I think – perhaps this is the healthiest I'll ever be again.  And that thought ALSO scares the shit out of me.  Stupid thoughts cross my mind:  Will this be the last dog I ever own?  Will I outlast the expiration of my debit card? 

We all think like this…every day.  It sucks.  And, I think, most cancer patients deal with this no matter what their prognosis is.  I actually think this takes the greatest mental toll on us all.  If its not foremost in my mind…its definitely there nagging me every single minute of every day.  For that reason, counseling is a great idea. 

Anyway…just wanted to let you know I understand and feel for you.  Mostly…allow yourself to feel what you need to feel and keep in touch.  We're all here…in basically the same place.  Sorry…this isn't very 'upbeat' and I don't know if it will help or not to know that others feel the same way.  I hope so!…keep on keeping on!! – Shari

lhaley
                    Participant

Lisa,

We all feel this. What you have is scan anxiety. Unfortunately the closer it gets to the scan the worse the feeling gets.

You need to find a way that you can zone out from this disease and refocus when the feeling comes over you. My oncologist tells me to visualize fighter pilots zooming through my body aiming my immune system at the cells. 

I have not gone into the oncs office one time yet where my blood pressure isn't high and my pulse zooming. They tell me this is normal.  He tells me that my heartbeat is so fast and loud that it hurts his ears!  That's even after the good news.

Even after I get the results it usually takes me a few days to absorb – even if it's good news.

We do understand and please vent whenever you need!

Linda

Stage IV

lhaley
                      Participant

Lisa,

We all feel this. What you have is scan anxiety. Unfortunately the closer it gets to the scan the worse the feeling gets.

You need to find a way that you can zone out from this disease and refocus when the feeling comes over you. My oncologist tells me to visualize fighter pilots zooming through my body aiming my immune system at the cells. 

I have not gone into the oncs office one time yet where my blood pressure isn't high and my pulse zooming. They tell me this is normal.  He tells me that my heartbeat is so fast and loud that it hurts his ears!  That's even after the good news.

Even after I get the results it usually takes me a few days to absorb – even if it's good news.

We do understand and please vent whenever you need!

Linda

Stage IV

RMcLegal
                        Participant

Lisa, we've all ridden this rollercoaster and only fictional superhuman patients depicted in the media never hit the low points.

I've written a blog post called "Lies, Damn Lies, and Cancer Statistics" about Stephen Jay Gould's essay on the fallacies of cancer statistics called "The Median Isn't The Message".  You're not a statistic.  Don't know if the post will help, but it might.

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

Best wishes and prayers for you.

Rich

nicoli
                            Participant

Thanks Rich, for posting this. I had been to this site before and enjoyed the songs but hadn't read the "Median is not the Message" message. I even understood most of it!  Very encouraging, thanks again.

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

Vermont_Donna
                              Participant

Hi,

Your feelings and worries are perfectly normal and understandable. I have them too, we all do, and not just melanoma patients but other cancer patients and other people with other serious medical issues.

What we have is each day, one day at a time is ours to live and make it our best. You have received really good comments above. We all live what you are living. I get through by just making each day the best I can, living fully and taking care of myself the best I can (and my family). Practice mindfulness, being PRESENT in the moment. Let yourself have 15 minutes or an hour of worry time then when your mind starts to go there, stop yourself and re-focus on the moment, the task at hand. Keep redirecting yourself back to the present.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                Participant

Hi,

Your feelings and worries are perfectly normal and understandable. I have them too, we all do, and not just melanoma patients but other cancer patients and other people with other serious medical issues.

What we have is each day, one day at a time is ours to live and make it our best. You have received really good comments above. We all live what you are living. I get through by just making each day the best I can, living fully and taking care of myself the best I can (and my family). Practice mindfulness, being PRESENT in the moment. Let yourself have 15 minutes or an hour of worry time then when your mind starts to go there, stop yourself and re-focus on the moment, the task at hand. Keep redirecting yourself back to the present.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

nicoli
                                  Participant

Thanks Rich, for posting this. I had been to this site before and enjoyed the songs but hadn't read the "Median is not the Message" message. I even understood most of it!  Very encouraging, thanks again.

Nicki, Stage 3b, scalp

RMcLegal
                                  Participant

Lisa, we've all ridden this rollercoaster and only fictional superhuman patients depicted in the media never hit the low points.

I've written a blog post called "Lies, Damn Lies, and Cancer Statistics" about Stephen Jay Gould's essay on the fallacies of cancer statistics called "The Median Isn't The Message".  You're not a statistic.  Don't know if the post will help, but it might.

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

Best wishes and prayers for you.

Rich

Erinmay22
                                    Participant
                                      Lisa-

We all have those days! In jan I was told I had over a dozen spots between both my lungs. It wasn’t until march 1 the biopsy was done which did confirm melanoma. And then my mind started to race – why weren’t we doing something asap to fight this beast? Was it taking over me… Why was I being told week after week to wait yet again… In my mind I thought if in november i was clear and then 2 months later all these spots where else was it going? You should have seen the panic emails to my doctors.

But then April came around and I had a new ct scan and things look much better than my Jan scan. So much that I am not eligible for any trials… It doesn’t mean my anxiety is any better… But we have to allow ourselves to have the good days and the great days. To be mad, to cry, to question why me? But then realize we are strong people and hopefully god doesn’t give us something he doesn’t think we can handle. Hang in there! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Erinmay22
                                      Participant
                                        Lisa-

We all have those days! In jan I was told I had over a dozen spots between both my lungs. It wasn’t until march 1 the biopsy was done which did confirm melanoma. And then my mind started to race – why weren’t we doing something asap to fight this beast? Was it taking over me… Why was I being told week after week to wait yet again… In my mind I thought if in november i was clear and then 2 months later all these spots where else was it going? You should have seen the panic emails to my doctors.

But then April came around and I had a new ct scan and things look much better than my Jan scan. So much that I am not eligible for any trials… It doesn’t mean my anxiety is any better… But we have to allow ourselves to have the good days and the great days. To be mad, to cry, to question why me? But then realize we are strong people and hopefully god doesn’t give us something he doesn’t think we can handle. Hang in there! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Carol Taylor
                                        Participant

This would be a good place to remind us all to stay vigilant, when we throw our pity parties, not to keep the party going too long lest depression show up.

I know I preach staying focused and taking control of our attitudes and staying positive, probably to the point of making some of us sick of me. The thing is we really don't "know" each other. We don't know each others family histories with depression. And even if one of us can say that there isn't a family history…well, it starts somewhere, why not us, and then our family has "depression" in it.

We all know that cancer feeds off fear, panic, and anger. But those are all normal responses to melanoma. I just want to remind us to stay on top of those so they don't usher in depression which can really work against us.

Lisa and many of us are in very fragile places right now, and I may come across as almost heartless in not saying to give into the feelings. But it really is in all of our best interests to throw a small pity party and not throw them often. It's in our best interest to recognize when we need more than a walk in the park to take our minds off this and be positive.

Someone suggested counseling. That's always a great idea. Again, we really have to be vigilant against depression, that's my main concern for all of us and the feelings we're coping with. If you can't afford counseling, check your local mental health department, talk with your clergy person. Talk with a family member or friend that you trust and have talked with enough to know they can help you and won't gossip. Come here and vent. Contact any of us you feel comfortable with off-board.

Don't be a good party host. Take care of yourself…don't feed mel.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Lisa13
                                            Participant

All your comments and reassurances have been very much like therapy for me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!  We can get strength from our family and friends, but nobody knows what you're going through unless their dealing with it too.   

I'm re-focused today and ready to forget about this thing, at least until June 6th when I have my scans.  I also feel better knowing I'm not the only paranoid person in this battle. 🙂

Thank you all for truly making me feel better about things.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                              Participant

All your comments and reassurances have been very much like therapy for me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!  We can get strength from our family and friends, but nobody knows what you're going through unless their dealing with it too.   

I'm re-focused today and ready to forget about this thing, at least until June 6th when I have my scans.  I also feel better knowing I'm not the only paranoid person in this battle. 🙂

Thank you all for truly making me feel better about things.

Lisa

Carol Taylor
                                              Participant

This would be a good place to remind us all to stay vigilant, when we throw our pity parties, not to keep the party going too long lest depression show up.

I know I preach staying focused and taking control of our attitudes and staying positive, probably to the point of making some of us sick of me. The thing is we really don't "know" each other. We don't know each others family histories with depression. And even if one of us can say that there isn't a family history…well, it starts somewhere, why not us, and then our family has "depression" in it.

We all know that cancer feeds off fear, panic, and anger. But those are all normal responses to melanoma. I just want to remind us to stay on top of those so they don't usher in depression which can really work against us.

Lisa and many of us are in very fragile places right now, and I may come across as almost heartless in not saying to give into the feelings. But it really is in all of our best interests to throw a small pity party and not throw them often. It's in our best interest to recognize when we need more than a walk in the park to take our minds off this and be positive.

Someone suggested counseling. That's always a great idea. Again, we really have to be vigilant against depression, that's my main concern for all of us and the feelings we're coping with. If you can't afford counseling, check your local mental health department, talk with your clergy person. Talk with a family member or friend that you trust and have talked with enough to know they can help you and won't gossip. Come here and vent. Contact any of us you feel comfortable with off-board.

Don't be a good party host. Take care of yourself…don't feed mel.

Grace and peace,

Carol

debandmike
                                                Participant

Although I am a caregiver and not the patient, I can relate to the roller coaster ride you are now on. Our ride began when we learned my husband had Stage 4 Melanoma on Valentine's Day 2011. It sure did not seem fair at all since we are the best of friends and have been happily married for almost 12 years.

I would imagine it is even more scary being the patient experiencing both the best of days and the worst of days.

My attitude is positive most days but then I have days when my tears won't stop. I would say you are allowed to have the same kinds of days.

I will hope and pray for you that your journey will be more like a mild rollercoaster and not like one of the biggest ones they have at Cedar Pte. in Ohio.

By the way I don't do rollercoasters at amusement parks, how about you?

Wishing you the best,

Debby and Mike

debandmike
                                                  Participant

Although I am a caregiver and not the patient, I can relate to the roller coaster ride you are now on. Our ride began when we learned my husband had Stage 4 Melanoma on Valentine's Day 2011. It sure did not seem fair at all since we are the best of friends and have been happily married for almost 12 years.

I would imagine it is even more scary being the patient experiencing both the best of days and the worst of days.

My attitude is positive most days but then I have days when my tears won't stop. I would say you are allowed to have the same kinds of days.

I will hope and pray for you that your journey will be more like a mild rollercoaster and not like one of the biggest ones they have at Cedar Pte. in Ohio.

By the way I don't do rollercoasters at amusement parks, how about you?

Wishing you the best,

Debby and Mike

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics