The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Emergency Room? advice please!

Forums General Melanoma Community Emergency Room? advice please!

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have posted a few times about my issues with getting all of my mothers paperwork in order from multiple dr's and trying to get it all to MD Anderson. My mother is getting worse by the day. She has multiple large brain tumors and just finished her WBR. We were supposed to start Zel treatment for her cancer in her abdomen, spleen, lungs, ovaries… Her stomach swells more and more each day…. She was supposed to have the Zelboraf by today, but we went to the office, and THE DR HASN'T EVEN ORDERED IT!!!! 

I cannot wait any longer, I have to get my mother into MD Anderson ASAP. 

Does anyone know anything about the MD Anderson Emergency Room? Is it only for current patients? We have our paper work sent into them, but still waiting for an appt with an oncologist… we have been waiting 3 weeks. Im scared that if I dont get her there soon it will not be good, and then I will blame myself. 

Should I just take her to the MDA ER? Anyones advice will help! I feel so helpless!

Thank you all,

Colleen 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

My brother's oncologist told us several times that if anything bad was happening, my brother should go to the emergency room rather than call the oncologist's office. He had 2 reasons: 1) the ER had its own CT machine so there was seldom any delay in getting scanned, and 2) it was much easier for the ER staff to get a patient admitted to a busy hospital than it was for a doctor to get a patient admitted. 

I don't think that any hospital can refuse to treat an emergency case– even from out of state. However, I don't know if your mother's insurance will pay for it, though ("out-of-network" and stuff).

There is no National Cancer Institute approved comprehensive cancer center in Louisiana. I guess if it was my mother and she could stand the trip, I would take her to MD Anderson. And by all means, you need to find another oncologist. This guy is for the birds!

POW
          Participant

My brother's oncologist told us several times that if anything bad was happening, my brother should go to the emergency room rather than call the oncologist's office. He had 2 reasons: 1) the ER had its own CT machine so there was seldom any delay in getting scanned, and 2) it was much easier for the ER staff to get a patient admitted to a busy hospital than it was for a doctor to get a patient admitted. 

I don't think that any hospital can refuse to treat an emergency case– even from out of state. However, I don't know if your mother's insurance will pay for it, though ("out-of-network" and stuff).

There is no National Cancer Institute approved comprehensive cancer center in Louisiana. I guess if it was my mother and she could stand the trip, I would take her to MD Anderson. And by all means, you need to find another oncologist. This guy is for the birds!

vivian
              Participant

Colleen,

It is now two hours after you posted, so I imagine you have already done something, but I wanted you to know that I (and many others, as well) are thinking of you and your mother.  I have been in this very situation with my own mom, although hers was colon cancer, not melanoma.  Taking her to the ER was always the right decision in the moment – they can fix pain immediately, scan, and refer.  Importantly, it places your mom in the hands of those who can help her, and maybe taking her to whatever hospital is closest now will then speed her admission to MD Anderson.  

By the way,  POW is incredibly knowledgeable, so whatever she/he says, I would go by.

I hope by this time you and your mom are feeling much better, but meanwhile, I am holding you in the light of peace and healing.

Lear 

cep3700
                Participant

Thank you both very much, my mother is now at MDA in the ICU, what our dr's in LA were saying was "normal side effects" from the WBR was actually her brain bleeding. Im so happy I brought her to MDA, it is amazing, and we both feel so much better now that we are here. Thanks everyone.

-Colleen 

POW
                  Participant

Colleen, thank you for the update. I've been thinking about you and your mom and hoping that you were able to get her to MD Anderson. As you know, bleeding in the brain is a very serious condition. You took exactly the right steps all along this journey and you have been a wonderful advocate for your mother. I hope that she is feeling better now and that the MD Anderson folks have some good treatments to offer her.

If you are staying in a hotel and need financial assistance, I think that there are some foundations that can help. Just let us know what you need. Please post an update when you can.

POW
                    Participant

Colleen, thank you for the update. I've been thinking about you and your mom and hoping that you were able to get her to MD Anderson. As you know, bleeding in the brain is a very serious condition. You took exactly the right steps all along this journey and you have been a wonderful advocate for your mother. I hope that she is feeling better now and that the MD Anderson folks have some good treatments to offer her.

If you are staying in a hotel and need financial assistance, I think that there are some foundations that can help. Just let us know what you need. Please post an update when you can.

POW
                      Participant

NYKaren
                        Participant

Coleen,

So glad you followed your gut.   Please keep us posted.

Karen

NYKaren
                          Participant

Coleen,

Karen

cep3700
                            Participant

Hi everyone, 

My mother is doing much better here at MDA, she is out of the ICU and they have started her on the Dabfranib Mek combo. I am so happy I found this forum because this is where I learned about the combo treatment as an alternative to Zelboraf, which is all I have read about before. I really think the combo was the best choice for my mother. I am so happy that we are at MDA and the care she's been receiving has been so wonderful. 

Thank you all, 

Colleen 

cep3700
                              Participant

Hi everyone, 

My mother is doing much better here at MDA, she is out of the ICU and they have started her on the Dabfranib Mek combo. I am so happy I found this forum because this is where I learned about the combo treatment as an alternative to Zelboraf, which is all I have read about before. I really think the combo was the best choice for my mother. I am so happy that we are at MDA and the care she's been receiving has been so wonderful. 

Thank you all, 

Colleen 

POW
                                Participant

Thank you for the update, Collen. I'm so glad that your mother is in good hands and is startng to feel better. It makes me feel good to think that the factual information and emotional support you received on this forum helped you to get the best treatment possible for your mother. That is the whole purpose of this group. Thank you for the feedback.

POW
                                  Participant

Thank you for the update, Collen. I'm so glad that your mother is in good hands and is startng to feel better. It makes me feel good to think that the factual information and emotional support you received on this forum helped you to get the best treatment possible for your mother. That is the whole purpose of this group. Thank you for the feedback.

POW
                                    Participant

cep3700
                                      Participant

Hi everyone, 

Thank you all, 

Colleen 

NYKaren
                                        Participant

Coleen,

Karen

cep3700
                                          Participant

Thank you both very much, my mother is now at MDA in the ICU, what our dr's in LA were saying was "normal side effects" from the WBR was actually her brain bleeding. Im so happy I brought her to MDA, it is amazing, and we both feel so much better now that we are here. Thanks everyone.

-Colleen 

cep3700
                                            Participant

-Colleen 

vivian
                                              Participant

Colleen,

It is now two hours after you posted, so I imagine you have already done something, but I wanted you to know that I (and many others, as well) are thinking of you and your mother.  I have been in this very situation with my own mom, although hers was colon cancer, not melanoma.  Taking her to the ER was always the right decision in the moment – they can fix pain immediately, scan, and refer.  Importantly, it places your mom in the hands of those who can help her, and maybe taking her to whatever hospital is closest now will then speed her admission to MD Anderson.  

By the way,  POW is incredibly knowledgeable, so whatever she/he says, I would go by.

I hope by this time you and your mom are feeling much better, but meanwhile, I am holding you in the light of peace and healing.

Lear 

vivian
                                                Participant

Colleen,

Lear 

Aerofeorbiree
                                                  Participant
                                                    Chants associated with their title as well as ” Thanks, Beam! ” shattered away. Nevertheless, it is very imperative that you understand the techniques as well as secrets and techniques from the program, otherwise you’ll waste materials all your cash. Even though it’s been the fortunate place for you personally upon prior activities, [url=http://www.49erssportsgear.com/Kids_Colin_Kaepernick_Nike_Jersey_Vn_24/]49ers Kaepernick Jersey[/url] it might very easily dissatisfy a person upon any kind of provided day time. Barefoot bowling Melbourne can also be feasible on the expert [url=http://www.49erssportsgear.com/Kids_Anquan_Boldin_Nike_Jersey_Uy_62/]Anquan Boldin Womens Jersey[/url] regular vegetables. Durch pass away Verwendung von elektrischen Impulsen wird der [url=http://www.49erssportsgear.com/Kids_Aldon_Smith_Nike_Jersey_Hy_25/]Aldon Smith Womens Jersey[/url] Muskel schonender trainiert, da diese nicht therefore beansprucht werden wie beim herkommlichen Fitnesstraining. When you’re planning for a hiking journey along with kids, take a moment prior to going in order to talk to all of them regarding typical hiking hazards.
                                                    Aerofeorbiree
                                                    Participant
                                                      Chants associated with their title as well as ” Thanks, Beam! ” shattered away. Nevertheless, it is very imperative that you understand the techniques as well as secrets and techniques from the program, otherwise you’ll waste materials all your cash. Even though it’s been the fortunate place for you personally upon prior activities, [url=http://www.49erssportsgear.com/Kids_Colin_Kaepernick_Nike_Jersey_Vn_24/]49ers Kaepernick Jersey[/url] it might very easily dissatisfy a person upon any kind of provided day time. Barefoot bowling Melbourne can also be feasible on the expert [url=http://www.49erssportsgear.com/Kids_Anquan_Boldin_Nike_Jersey_Uy_62/]Anquan Boldin Womens Jersey[/url] regular vegetables. Durch pass away Verwendung von elektrischen Impulsen wird der [url=http://www.49erssportsgear.com/Kids_Aldon_Smith_Nike_Jersey_Hy_25/]Aldon Smith Womens Jersey[/url] Muskel schonender trainiert, da diese nicht therefore beansprucht werden wie beim herkommlichen Fitnesstraining. When you’re planning for a hiking journey along with kids, take a moment prior to going in order to talk to all of them regarding typical hiking hazards.
                                                      Aerofeorbiree
                                                      Participant
                                                      POW
                                                      Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics