The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Elevated CK. Anyone else have this?

Forums General Melanoma Community Elevated CK. Anyone else have this?

Participant

Hi

My husband who was diagnosed IIIC in March of 2013 participated in the Ipi vs Interferon trial.  He had 4 doses of Ipi (3mg/kg) before developing hypophysitis and stopping further infusions.  Recent follow-up bloodwork showed very high CK levels (7x normal). It is not clear why (no obvious cardiac symptoms).  The thought is that it is too long since he had Ipi (over 3 years) for there to be a relation but there is no clear explanation.  He is having levels monitored.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what was determined to be the cause.  

Three and half years after starting on Ipi as adjuvant treatment in the trial his recent scans were good.  There was an asymmetric enlargement of one of his tonsils (had been previously enlarged but now mildly more so) which will be followed up by direct viewing by ENT but his oncologist is really not all that worried…..

I hope that gives some hope to those just starting down the road of Ipi in the adfuvant setting.

Kate

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cindyco
        Participant

Thank you for sharing Kate. We are so worried that my mom only had one dose of ipi/nivo before needing to stop.  They don't think they will let her continue on ipi, and will move her to nivo only.  Maybe that ipi will end up going a long way for her too.

Tina Henry
            Participant

I was all set to start treatment for stage III melanoma with interferon (had actually received my first  month worth of shots) and went to my appointment where my oncologist was going to administer my first dose.  I was told of all the miserable side effects and was fully prepared to face each and everyone of them….because I was not going to let this beat me!!  To my surprise when my doctor came into the room he advised me we were going to go a different route as the Ipi had just been approved for use in Stage III :o)  I had my first treatment on November 23, 2015 and 3 more following that for the 1st four (what my doc called, "big doses") and after the 4th was set go every 3 months for a year.  I had absolutely no problem with any of my treatments until about a week after my 4th treatment. I got an awful sinus infection which was treated with antiobiotics but my head ache and pressure would not go away.  Doc ordered an MRI and my body was unfortunately attacking my pituitary gland.  I was prescribe 40 ml of prednisone and the gland started to shrink to normal.  Unfortunately my doc decided the unnkown benefits was out weighted by the known risks at this point and discontinued my treatment with the Ipi.  That was frightening to me.   I still have issues I am struggling with caused by the pituitary problems.  Have since had to have a hysterectomy as my hormones went crazy and my body thought it would be super awesome to just menstruate…..non stop for months!!  I am still on a low dose of prednisone (5 ml every other day) because every time I try to stop I have bad head aches and dizzy spells. 

I do not know what any of my levels were or are…..but the doc always tells me everything looks normal. 

My doc told me that things could pop up at any time and they weren't quite sure on how long after treatment we may have issues that need to be dealt with.  He said we sort of trained our body to go into somewhat of a panic/attack mode when things are not right and that is what they will do.  We need to be hyper vigilant.

I just pray I got enough and that it found any thing that shouldn't be there and DESTROYED it!!! 

Tina Henry
              Participant

I was all set to start treatment for stage III melanoma with interferon (had actually received my first  month worth of shots) and went to my appointment where my oncologist was going to administer my first dose.  I was told of all the miserable side effects and was fully prepared to face each and everyone of them….because I was not going to let this beat me!!  To my surprise when my doctor came into the room he advised me we were going to go a different route as the Ipi had just been approved for use in Stage III :o)  I had my first treatment on November 23, 2015 and 3 more following that for the 1st four (what my doc called, "big doses") and after the 4th was set go every 3 months for a year.  I had absolutely no problem with any of my treatments until about a week after my 4th treatment. I got an awful sinus infection which was treated with antiobiotics but my head ache and pressure would not go away.  Doc ordered an MRI and my body was unfortunately attacking my pituitary gland.  I was prescribe 40 ml of prednisone and the gland started to shrink to normal.  Unfortunately my doc decided the unnkown benefits was out weighted by the known risks at this point and discontinued my treatment with the Ipi.  That was frightening to me.   I still have issues I am struggling with caused by the pituitary problems.  Have since had to have a hysterectomy as my hormones went crazy and my body thought it would be super awesome to just menstruate…..non stop for months!!  I am still on a low dose of prednisone (5 ml every other day) because every time I try to stop I have bad head aches and dizzy spells. 

I do not know what any of my levels were or are…..but the doc always tells me everything looks normal. 

My doc told me that things could pop up at any time and they weren't quite sure on how long after treatment we may have issues that need to be dealt with.  He said we sort of trained our body to go into somewhat of a panic/attack mode when things are not right and that is what they will do.  We need to be hyper vigilant.

I just pray I got enough and that it found any thing that shouldn't be there and DESTROYED it!!! 

Tina Henry
                Participant

Cindyco
                Participant

Thank you for sharing Kate. We are so worried that my mom only had one dose of ipi/nivo before needing to stop.  They don't think they will let her continue on ipi, and will move her to nivo only.  Maybe that ipi will end up going a long way for her too.

Cindyco
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics