The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dysplastic mole v. Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Dysplastic mole v. Melanoma

Participant

Dear all, tomorrow afternoon I have an appointment at the dermatologist to receive the lab results of three moles that were removed last week. My dermatologist (and I) worry most about one, who, as she indicated looked 'at least very dysplastic'. But only a pathologist can tell. I will not bore you with the history, but in short it boils down to a GP who was reluctant to send me to a dermatologist and a dermatologist who saw no harm in my three 'odd' moles and wished to just follow them (taking pictures and measurements). But the last weeks/months they were really changing and growing quickly. And now I got an appointment with a different dermatologist as the one that I usually see was on vacation. She took one good look and agreed to remove all three the next day. In fact, she seemend unpleasantly surprised that her colleague had not yet removed the moles. 

While waiting for the results to come back, I did some (terrifying!) Google research. Heart breaking stories… In view of the fact that doctors have left me hanging (at least that is what it feels like) for too long, I really do not trust anyone right now.

Therefore my questions: how hard is it for a pathologist to distinguish a dysplastic mole from a melanoma? I read somewhere that it is a sliding scale and that sometimes a melanoma is missed. How realistic is this? Is is advisable to ask a second opinion on pathology? Also, if it is 'just' a dysplastic mole, is it still advisable to take away the extra skin around the mole? And if it indeed is a melanoma, from what thickness onwards would you recommend a sentinel node procedure (I read somewhere as of 0.7 mm others say 1 mm)?

I know that most likely I can find opinions on either topic on this forum in the older posts. But for the moment, I feel a bit overwhelmed and although I am in search of information relating to my situation, I get really scared when confronted with people who are way ahead of me (though the fact that there are indeed long term stage iv survivors also gives me hope!). I would sincerely appreciate your answers. 

Best, 

Doro78

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        KnowThyself
        Participant

Hello there!

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. Crazy how something as seemingly innocent as a mole can affect your life and emotions. First piece of advice… though it's good to stay informed and understand the terminology and standard of care in dealing with a melanoma, Google is not a good place to be.

About this time last year, I had a ''severly atypical lesion, borderline, with a 'differential diagnosis' of level 2 stage T1A malignant melanoma''…..  Right?! So is it melanoma or not? Sometimes the pathologists don't even know! But if they cannot 'rule it out', they will get a second opinion on their own, and/or treat it as a melanoma, and reexcise with margins. Howevever, most of the time, the pathology report will tell ALL. It'll tell the description, depth, level, mitosis rate (how fast the cells are dividing) and from there they will talk about lymph nodes, usually only if it's over 1mm, but depending the location, they may go with .7 or .8….

You expect to get the report back tomorrow? Please do share with us once you get it, but in the meantime, stay away from google, have yourself a stiff drink, and wait…

Hope this helps!

Doro78
            Participant

Thank you so much for this swift response. It is good to hear that they will proceed with care if there is doubt. I am not sure if I get a copy of the lab results, but I will ask. Indeed, I should stop Googling. And yes, I will get the stiff drink. I will get back tomorrow. Hopefully with good news! 

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

You should ask and get a copy of ALL bloodwork, operation/excession patholoogy reports and later if melanoma is diagnosed copies of all scans on discs.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

You should ask and get a copy of ALL bloodwork, operation/excession patholoogy reports and later if melanoma is diagnosed copies of all scans on discs.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Doro78
                      Participant

Thank you for your comments. Fortunately, it turned out to be a normal mole. It was just the pigmentation which was scattered in an abnormal (but completely benign) way. Such a relief! Doro78

Doro78
                        Participant

Thank you for your comments. Fortunately, it turned out to be a normal mole. It was just the pigmentation which was scattered in an abnormal (but completely benign) way. Such a relief! Doro78

Doro78
                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Doro78
                                Participant

Thank you so much for this swift response. It is good to hear that they will proceed with care if there is doubt. I am not sure if I get a copy of the lab results, but I will ask. Indeed, I should stop Googling. And yes, I will get the stiff drink. I will get back tomorrow. Hopefully with good news! 

Doro78
                                  Participant

KnowThyself
                                  Participant

Hello there!

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation. Crazy how something as seemingly innocent as a mole can affect your life and emotions. First piece of advice… though it's good to stay informed and understand the terminology and standard of care in dealing with a melanoma, Google is not a good place to be.

About this time last year, I had a ''severly atypical lesion, borderline, with a 'differential diagnosis' of level 2 stage T1A malignant melanoma''…..  Right?! So is it melanoma or not? Sometimes the pathologists don't even know! But if they cannot 'rule it out', they will get a second opinion on their own, and/or treat it as a melanoma, and reexcise with margins. Howevever, most of the time, the pathology report will tell ALL. It'll tell the description, depth, level, mitosis rate (how fast the cells are dividing) and from there they will talk about lymph nodes, usually only if it's over 1mm, but depending the location, they may go with .7 or .8….

You expect to get the report back tomorrow? Please do share with us once you get it, but in the meantime, stay away from google, have yourself a stiff drink, and wait…

Hope this helps!

KnowThyself
                                    Participant

Hello there!

Hope this helps!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics