The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

DX in Nov, now subungual concern

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community DX in Nov, now subungual concern

Participant

Hey y'all. I know it is not 'common' to have multiple flavors of Melanoma. Stage 1B in R calf and now R big toe is concerning.

About a month ago I noticed little dark spot at edge of nail and assumed it was dirt…..I usually wear polish so it was not that noticeable til yesterday when I removed polish and now have discoloration over maybe a third of the nail. No history of injury and it causes no pain to push on the nail.

If I knew how the heck to attach a picture, I would!

I see my derm for routine follow up in March but this is not so much a fun way to spend the next month.

Any insight other than don't panic? I am not the type to panic so no worries. I am, however, the type to have had an exceptionally bad record when it comes to having unusual/lousy things happen in my life. So anything that starts with, "well the odds are…." I have already lost that game.

(and if you can direct me to posting a fancy toe picture, much appreciation!)

Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

You can upload your picture to Imgur, Flickr, or Photos.Google .com.  You will then be provided a link that you can copy and share here.

Janner
          Participant

Just because you don't remember an injury or feel pain doesn't mean that it is bad.  A bruise under the nail can take 6+ months to grow out.  Can't advise much except to take good pictures now so you can see if there are any significant changes or if it continues to grow out by your doc appointment.  Take the pics with you to your appointment, too.  Good luck!

lkb
            Participant

Would it make sense to upload/email the "fancy toe picture" to your oncologist and/or dermatologist? A month is long time to worry.

jennunicorn
              Participant

Very likely it is a bruise. I have gotten bruised toenails without injury and they don't hurt. Something as simple as new shoes can cause bruises under our toenails. Send a pic to your doctor, get their opinion. Like Janner said, they can take 6 months or more to grow out. 

muphinn
                  Participant

Thank you all for weighing in. I am on vacation for the month…with my long sleeve spf hoodie shirts and floppy hats. I will keep an eye on it and try not to fester as there is nothing I can do about it right now. 

I really appreciate this forum and the kindness shared here.

casagrayson
                  Participant

I'm no doctor, and no one can say from just looking whether something is melanoma or not, but it sure does look like a bruise to me!  Take another picture in a couple of weeks, and compare to see if it has grown out.  If it has, you can be almost certain it is a bruise.  
                    Of course — if it is still there when you get back from vacation definitely see your dermatologist!

Leekim
                      Participant
                        Hi…I just joined today because I was diagnosed with subungual melanoma. I had the same experience.. noticed a slight streak on the left side of Biggie.thought it was some dirt that could come off. Put on a nail varnish,removed 2 weeks later to find the streak has grown downwards and dark discoloration covering 1/3 of the lower nail. Did a biopsy immediately n diagnosed with SM. Pending surgery. I hope you get yours seen to.
                  Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics