The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

drugs that cross blood-brain barrier

Forums General Melanoma Community drugs that cross blood-brain barrier

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend with brain mets.  Does anyone know which drugs cross the blood-brain barrier?

Thanks so much for your help and keep up the fight!

Tricia

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend with brain mets.  Does anyone know which drugs cross the blood-brain barrier?

Thanks so much for your help and keep up the fight!

Tricia

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

zelboraf (must have the mutation)

temedor (but not great for mel)

some home found for yeryoy

I don't know of any others, hoping some can add.    I start zelboraf tonight!

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Linda

triciad
              Participant

Linda,

As always, thank you for your input.  Good luck with the Zelboraf.  You are constantly in my prayers.  You are a true warrior and I know you will do well with this new treatment.  God bless!!!

Tricia

triciad
                Participant

Linda,

As always, thank you for your input.  Good luck with the Zelboraf.  You are constantly in my prayers.  You are a true warrior and I know you will do well with this new treatment.  God bless!!!

Tricia

triciad
                  Participant

Linda,

Tricia

Laurie from maine
                    Participant

I dont know much about it so cant help.  I only heard temedor also, or getting brain zapped if possible.

LINDA

I think of you and pray for you all the time  Good luck with zelboraf.  How are you doing?

laurie from maine

lhaley
                      Participant

I was supposed to go into a trial for brain mets with zelboraf (yesterday we decided to get off of the trial because it was taking too long to get into it – they were sending my biopsy that had been done too many years ago and were starting over).  The staticis are actually really good growith 83% response.  Of course it isn't sustatable.  They are looking into adding MEK on to try the brain also hopefully in the fall.  I think that you will have to be stable for 3 months.  At least there are changes even in the last few months!

I've done the gamma a few times and bleeding seems to be results for me – it does shrink but too many have started.  

Linda

killmel
                        Participant

Hi Linda,

I was so happy to see your post.

How are you doing?? What treatment did your decide on now that you are not going with zelboraf??

God BlessYou

MaryBeth

killmel
                          Participant

Hi Linda,

How are you doing?? What treatment did your decide on now that you are not going with zelboraf??

God BlessYou

MaryBeth

lhaley
                            Participant

I am doing Zelboraf just not on a trial.  Just took my 4 th time!   I'm glad that I was able to swallow those pills!  That was my first challange!   Found out that applesauce works!  They are weaning from the dex and so far so good!

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

I am doing Zelboraf just not on a trial.  Just took my 4 th time!   I'm glad that I was able to swallow those pills!  That was my first challange!   Found out that applesauce works!  They are weaning from the dex and so far so good!

Linda

lhaley
                                Participant

Linda

killmel
                                  Participant

Hi Linda,

God BlessYou

MaryBeth

lhaley
                                    Participant

I was supposed to go into a trial for brain mets with zelboraf (yesterday we decided to get off of the trial because it was taking too long to get into it – they were sending my biopsy that had been done too many years ago and were starting over).  The staticis are actually really good growith 83% response.  Of course it isn't sustatable.  They are looking into adding MEK on to try the brain also hopefully in the fall.  I think that you will have to be stable for 3 months.  At least there are changes even in the last few months!

I've done the gamma a few times and bleeding seems to be results for me – it does shrink but too many have started.  

Linda

lhaley
                                      Participant

Linda

Laurie from maine
                                        Participant

I dont know much about it so cant help.  I only heard temedor also, or getting brain zapped if possible.

LINDA

I think of you and pray for you all the time  Good luck with zelboraf.  How are you doing?

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                          Participant

LINDA

laurie from maine

lhaley
                                          Participant

Linda

Randy437
                                            Participant

My oncs nurse told me Yervoy does cross the blood brain barrier.

Randy437
                                              Participant

Randy437
                                                Participant

Amanda
                                                  Participant

Yervoy crosses the blood brain barrier since the drug itself is not what is attacking the melanoma.  Yervoy unleashes the brakes on your immune system to let your T-cells attack the melanoma.  Your t-cells are part of your own body so yes, Yervoy can kill melanoma in the brain. 

Amanda
                                                    Participant

Yervoy crosses the blood brain barrier since the drug itself is not what is attacking the melanoma.  Yervoy unleashes the brakes on your immune system to let your T-cells attack the melanoma.  Your t-cells are part of your own body so yes, Yervoy can kill melanoma in the brain. 

Amanda
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics