The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Driving and traveling after brain mets

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Driving and traveling after brain mets

Participant
      My husband had a craniotomy on Nov. 30 and gamma knife yesterday. We were hoping to take our children to Disneyworld mid-January. We’re not sure how much time he has and want to squeeze in as many memories as possible. We were excited until yesterday when the Dr said no driving for 6 more weeks. He will have weaned off seizure meds the week before we’re planning on going. He’s never had a seizure, but the Dr. Is concerned about seizures. I will be driving the entire 16 hours…not worth risking it, but I’m wondering if anyone else has traveled this soon after surgery?

My husband had a craniotomy on Nov. 30 and gamma knife yesterday. We were hoping to take our children to Disneyworld mid-January. We’re not sure how much time he has and want to squeeze in as many memories as possible. We were excited until yesterday when the Dr said no driving for 6 more weeks. He will have weaned off seizure meds the week before we’re planning on going. He’s never had a seizure, but the Dr. Is concerned about seizures. I will be driving the entire 16 hours…not worth risking it, but I’m wondering if anyone else has traveled this soon after surgery? The nurse looked at me like i was crazy when I mentioned it. His cancer is still progressing and besides being a little tired is doing ok for now. How do we balance the risks versus not wasting the time we have?

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant
          I say take it a day at a time. If he’s feeling well enough come mid-January I say go for it. I think you can handle the drive. I live in South Florida and I know that at Disney World they have private free of use breast feeding rooms throughout the park. If your husband needs a timeout to rest he can use one of these private rooms. They are quite nice and free of use. I wish you and your family a fabulous holiday.

Wendy

WendyPam
          Participant
            I say take it a day at a time. If he’s feeling well enough come mid-January I say go for it. I think you can handle the drive. I live in South Florida and I know that at Disney World they have private free of use breast feeding rooms throughout the park. If your husband needs a timeout to rest he can use one of these private rooms. They are quite nice and free of use. I wish you and your family a fabulous holiday.

Wendy

WendyPam
            Participant

Wendy

WendyPam
              Participant

Wendy

WendyPam
                Participant

Wendy

WendyPam
                  Participant

Wendy

WendyPam
                    Participant

Wendy

WendyPam
                      Participant

Wendy

WendyPam
                        Participant

Wendy

Phil S
                          Participant
                            Go for it, I would definitely make the trip, nothing like the magic of Disney, to give you some wonderful memories. Plus, you might just luck out and get some nice warm weather, that can lift the spirits too! My husband also had a craniotomy and then WBR in October and during that radiation made a weekend family trip to NYC in a blinding rain/snow storm right before Halloween this year! We just slowed down when he needed to, but still managed a Broadway show, dinners out, Toys R Us and M and M store in Times Square, mass at St Patricks, Legos store at Rockefeller Center,etc. and we had FUN! Just plan accordingly, give your husband some down time, let him set his own pace! You will always cherish those special memories, so don’t let the medical profession discourage you. Be sensible, take his medications, and know that Orlando has hospitals in the unlikely event he may need one! There is no better medicine that watching your kids have a Blast! Merry Christmas! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                            Phil S
                            Participant
                              Go for it, I would definitely make the trip, nothing like the magic of Disney, to give you some wonderful memories. Plus, you might just luck out and get some nice warm weather, that can lift the spirits too! My husband also had a craniotomy and then WBR in October and during that radiation made a weekend family trip to NYC in a blinding rain/snow storm right before Halloween this year! We just slowed down when he needed to, but still managed a Broadway show, dinners out, Toys R Us and M and M store in Times Square, mass at St Patricks, Legos store at Rockefeller Center,etc. and we had FUN! Just plan accordingly, give your husband some down time, let him set his own pace! You will always cherish those special memories, so don’t let the medical profession discourage you. Be sensible, take his medications, and know that Orlando has hospitals in the unlikely event he may need one! There is no better medicine that watching your kids have a Blast! Merry Christmas! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                                davidfromsingapore
                                Participant

Yes – go for it.  Memories are important now.  And feeling good is important.  Make sure to wear sunglases in the car and to have some comfortable pillows and soothing music available.  I hope that you have a very happy holiday and many more to come.  

David

davidfromsingapore
                                  Participant

Yes – go for it.  Memories are important now.  And feeling good is important.  Make sure to wear sunglases in the car and to have some comfortable pillows and soothing music available.  I hope that you have a very happy holiday and many more to come.  

David

davidfromsingapore
                                    Participant

David

jag
                                      Participant

definitely do it.  Brain mets are bad.  Other systemic mets can be just as serious, how is he doing overall? where are his other mets? is he taking any other medications?.  The only reason I would consider putting this trip off would be if there were a trial or new treatment option available in mid January.  Definitely get travelers insurance (in case you need to cancel at the last minute).  There have been many times when I "shoulda" got it, then I ended up in the hospital getting surgerized.

jag
                                        Participant

definitely do it.  Brain mets are bad.  Other systemic mets can be just as serious, how is he doing overall? where are his other mets? is he taking any other medications?.  The only reason I would consider putting this trip off would be if there were a trial or new treatment option available in mid January.  Definitely get travelers insurance (in case you need to cancel at the last minute).  There have been many times when I "shoulda" got it, then I ended up in the hospital getting surgerized.

jag
                                          Participant

kylez
                                            Participant

It was 6 months before my doctors let me drive after craniotomy #1. Somewhat less time after #2.

Some people here say "don't let melanoma rule your life" but my take is that it needs to be paid its due — or rather, one's immune system that is fighting melanoma needs to be paid ITS due, which for me means healthy diet, ample rest, exercise at tolerated, family & friends, and (especially as a brain met patient) (and especially on any kind of treatment that slows one down) taking it very easy based on my own personal energy level.

kylez
                                              Participant

It was 6 months before my doctors let me drive after craniotomy #1. Somewhat less time after #2.

Some people here say "don't let melanoma rule your life" but my take is that it needs to be paid its due — or rather, one's immune system that is fighting melanoma needs to be paid ITS due, which for me means healthy diet, ample rest, exercise at tolerated, family & friends, and (especially as a brain met patient) (and especially on any kind of treatment that slows one down) taking it very easy based on my own personal energy level.

kylez
                                                Participant

jmmm
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thanks for all the advice. I think we’re going to wait a couple of weeks to see how he feels. Assuming he continues to feel better each day, we’ll probably go. We’ll find a neurosurgeon and oncologist in Orlando, just in case. From day 1, our goal has been to squeeze in as many memories as we can. We’ll take it slow and let his energy level dictate how much we can do, but after the past 2 months of battling this brain tumor, and the knowledge that the cancer is progressing elsewhere, I don’t want to miss this window of opportunity. Who knows what is going to happen next. I don’t want to get a few weeks or months down the road and say “I wish I had…”
                                                    jmmm
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thanks for all the advice. I think we’re going to wait a couple of weeks to see how he feels. Assuming he continues to feel better each day, we’ll probably go. We’ll find a neurosurgeon and oncologist in Orlando, just in case. From day 1, our goal has been to squeeze in as many memories as we can. We’ll take it slow and let his energy level dictate how much we can do, but after the past 2 months of battling this brain tumor, and the knowledge that the cancer is progressing elsewhere, I don’t want to miss this window of opportunity. Who knows what is going to happen next. I don’t want to get a few weeks or months down the road and say “I wish I had…”
                                                      jmmm
                                                      Participant
                                                        bdhf
                                                        Participant

HI!  I am new to this board and to melanoma.  I have stage 4, recently diagnosed from a brain met that was removed on 14 Dec.  My family and i had planned to go to Disney for Christmas for months.  After my surgery I asked my neurosurgeons and oncologist if it would be ok to go still.  They completely approved so long as I didn't ride the rollercoasters!  I used a wheelchair the first day but it was miserable.  I have 2 small children and 2 older stepchildren and my sisters family is the same.  My parents also went and my stepmom was also in a wheelchair due to a foot injury.  So, I gave up the wheelchair the second day.  We stayed for 4 days total.  I was tired a lot but I tried not to push too hard and my family respected my needs to rest a bit now and then.  I quit taking my antiseizure meds though due to how fatigued they made me feel.  I have never had a seizure and am not driving either. But, I just don't want this melanoma to ruin my life that I have now.  My prognosis is still pretty good because they haven't found any other mets so far.  Hopefully they wont but I need a biopsy in January of my lung and a thyroid ultrasound.  I am supposed to get Gamma Knife in January so I am a bit behind your husband's level of treatment.  But, I just wanted to let you know that Disney can be done and going in January will be OK, the crowds will be less and they have motorized chairs you can rent or a push wheelchair you can use.  Definitely go!  Enjoy yourselves and try not to think about that horrible C word.  We did and I am so glad!  Good luck!!!!

Brenda

bdhf
                                                          Participant

HI!  I am new to this board and to melanoma.  I have stage 4, recently diagnosed from a brain met that was removed on 14 Dec.  My family and i had planned to go to Disney for Christmas for months.  After my surgery I asked my neurosurgeons and oncologist if it would be ok to go still.  They completely approved so long as I didn't ride the rollercoasters!  I used a wheelchair the first day but it was miserable.  I have 2 small children and 2 older stepchildren and my sisters family is the same.  My parents also went and my stepmom was also in a wheelchair due to a foot injury.  So, I gave up the wheelchair the second day.  We stayed for 4 days total.  I was tired a lot but I tried not to push too hard and my family respected my needs to rest a bit now and then.  I quit taking my antiseizure meds though due to how fatigued they made me feel.  I have never had a seizure and am not driving either. But, I just don't want this melanoma to ruin my life that I have now.  My prognosis is still pretty good because they haven't found any other mets so far.  Hopefully they wont but I need a biopsy in January of my lung and a thyroid ultrasound.  I am supposed to get Gamma Knife in January so I am a bit behind your husband's level of treatment.  But, I just wanted to let you know that Disney can be done and going in January will be OK, the crowds will be less and they have motorized chairs you can rent or a push wheelchair you can use.  Definitely go!  Enjoy yourselves and try not to think about that horrible C word.  We did and I am so glad!  Good luck!!!!

Brenda

bdhf
                                                            Participant

Brenda

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics