The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dr. Omid Hamid twitter post on Ct test that can be used in place of covid-19 swab test

Forums General Melanoma Community Dr. Omid Hamid twitter post on Ct test that can be used in place of covid-19 swab test

Participant
      Here is link to Dr. Omid Hamid posted article by radiologist at Mount Sinai hospital on how radiologist can use ct -scan images to know if patient has covid-19 virus. I will also post original video on Bloomberg from Feb 27 that features Dr. Adam Bernheim cariothoracic radiologist, funny no other big news organization have run this information for the last two weeks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUuNr_EFlBM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUuNr_EFlBM
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Sorry about Dr. Omid Hamid’s link, here it is now. https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020200642
            ed williams
            Participant
              One more article for good measure, also I am not saying that this should replace the swab test but with many not having access to swab tests, and ct scan being pretty easy to get access to in US, it could be useful to inform your oncologist’s so that they know that this could be an option for melanoma patients to help confirm regular flu vs covid-19 as a back up or supportive information to help you to get access to state run testing of the covid-19 test or to may be rule out the need for the covid swab test. https://inside.mountsinai.org/blog/patients-with-covid-19-have-distinct-markings-in-their-lungs-new-study-finds/
            Linny
            Participant
              Thank you so much for this! For me, the timing could not have been better. I was just at Johns Hopkins yesterday for bloodwork, CT scan, and a visit with Dr Sharfmann. I’m in the 10th year of my journey and according to Dr Sharfmann, my scan looked good. I usually take that to mean, “no changes from the previous one(s).” So there’s some “double relief” here.

As far as the situation at Hopkins goes, I go to the their campus at Green Spring Station in Lutherville, MD. This was my experience yesterday:

My bloodwork is done in Pavilion II and when I walked into there, a man was handing out disposable face masks to anyone who requested them. The building, which is normally bustling with people seemed empty. The waiting room in the lab is normally packed with people and there’s always been a wait. Yesterday, the lab waiting room was empty and I got right in. There was hand sanitizer available EVERYWHERE. I was thankful for all the hand sanitizer and the lack of a crowd.

The rest of my day was spent at Pavilion III. The waiting room in the imaging area was full but not packed. Hand sanitizer was found everywhere. People were keeping a respectful distance from each other. The oncology waiting room had people in it, but it was not packed and you could easily settle into a “personal space”. There was more personal space to be had there than in the imaging area. Hand sanitizer was readily available. Dr Sharfmann normally shakes my hand at each visit, but this time offered me an elbow bump.

jbronicki
                Participant
                  So glad to hear the scans were still good!
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics