The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dr. Kudchadkar at Emory is great!

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Dr. Kudchadkar at Emory is great!

Participant
      Had my appointment at Winship Cancer Institute at Emory in Atlanta today. I think I have finally found “the one”. The one doc I have seen since my melanoma journey began 4 years ago who listens to me AND will coordinate my care. For some reason, one lump which is just under my jaw was not removed during my surgery earlier this month. Sooo she wants it out and biopsied. She had a surgeon in the room with me within 5 minutes for the surgery consultation. She also has me seeing a dr who specializes in skin rashes caused by immunotherapy. Get outta town! Can’t believe i might actually get relief from this itchy rash i’ve had for 8 months now. Three doctors in my hometown told me there was nothing else that could be done for the rash but today i was told that was not at all true. My advice to all is to be your own advocate and seek out the best care you can find! Keep up the fight, my friends!
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant
          Yeeehah!!! WhaHoo! Hip Hip! Huraaay! Oh thank God you made a Connection with your new doc! (Like i have now with Dr. Hamid!!) Now wait a minute, after that Biopsy tech guy (or gal) screwed up and you rescheduled to do what I “Thought” to be an actual surgery, a WLE, wasnt a surgery after all? Wth? I thought that was the plan? Just be safe & proactive and get it out!!?? Then send it to pathology??..i thought wrong then, them bastards! Atleast your new Rock Star is gunna handle it now! Im so happy for you Mrs Cindy Lou!! Im popping pop corn right now, keep us posted!
            stevek1959x
            Participant
              Hey Cindy Lou, I seem to have cornered the market on rashes. Initially diagnosed with lichen planus before I started Nivo, the Nivo caused a drug explosion which made the lichen planus even worse. My dermatologist put me on 10 mg prednisone and when I told my oncologist, he had a fit and we had to stop. As an FYI, folks commented on this board that low doses of steroids do not alter the affect of immunotherapy – my onco thought otherwise. I finished my one year of Nivo on April 3rd and the rashed continued. We tried UVB lightbox treatments for my vitiligo and lichen planus and it did not really do much. My onco ruled on any immuno suppressants. In july my rash got even worse and my dermatologist did another round of punch biopsies. The lichen planus was confirmed again but this time there was some indication that this could be lichen planus with lupus overlap. All of this makes my vitiligo even worse. Well the lupus came back negative. Meanwhile, my dermatologist put me on 30 mg of prednisone along with 400 mg of plaquenil (for lupus and can work for lichen planus). My onco agreed with the plan. After 1 day my itching stopped and now after two weeks, the rash(s) are completely gone. This after fighting it for 18 months. I’ll be tapering off the prednisone and most likely stay on the plaquenil. Hopefully I can keep this in check. Meanwhile I continue the UVB lightbox treatments for vitiligo. Don’t know if you had any biopsies on the rash but at least it can help in identifying what you rash is.
              Cindy Lou
              Participant
                my local onc would only give me the 6 day dose of steroids. i did that twice. it helped for, u guessed it, 6 days. my derm said i could not do the light box because of the mel. the only steroid cream that either doc would prescribe was triamcinolone which helped none at all. your story gives me hope that the rash will get cured. thanks for that!
                Cindy Lou
                Participant
                  i did have surgery on the 6th of this month & they removed 5 of 6 lumps. the biopsy on all 5 came back positive for melanoma. the one they did not remove then was the one i will have removed next week. my oncologist here at home did not think it was mel and it is just under my jawbone so they say it is hard to get to without damaging some nerve that is there. my new doc, though, is having none of that! she said it needs to come out and be biopsied. i like her!
                  Rescumom1
                  Participant
                    Hi Cindy Lou I saw your post about finding Dr K! She use to me my Oncologist when she was at Moffitt in Tampa! And I just had to connect with you and tell you you are in the best hands with her! I was sad when she moved to Atlanta but understood she needed to be around more with family for support! To this day I still miss her because she really goes out of her way to really get to know her patients to include families! She’s thorough and knows what she’s talking about! I could email her today and even though it’s been a few years I know she’d remember me despite all the patients she’s treated! So I just wanted to say hi and if you’d tell her when you see her next that Tracy Lempe said hi and I still think of her often! Take care of yourself and trust all she tells you she’s the real deal for sure!! Thanks Tracy
                    Cindy Lou
                    Participant
                      thanks for letting me know your experience with her! i really feel i’m in good hands now!
                    Bubbles
                    Participant
                      So glad you seem to have found good care in folks that listen as well as provide needed services, Cindy!!! Yes, one would think having cancer would be challenge enough – but your journey proves that advocacy for what we deserve is not only required…but can reap benefits!!! Wishing you my best.
                  Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics