The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Don’s Computer Security Update — aka, get rid of Java!

Forums General Melanoma Community Don’s Computer Security Update — aka, get rid of Java!

Participant

Some of us had an old version of Java on our computers in order to use the old (new defunct) MPIP chat room. Despite considering myself computer savvy, I managed to contract malware that exploited a security flaw in this program. You might remember that newer versions of java broke the chat room, so I had the older, unpatched, version for that reason. I have now uninstalled Java completely from my computer and haven't had any situations where it was needed. So….I recommend everyone uninstall java on their computers using the "add or remove program" control panel.

Some of us had an old version of Java on our computers in order to use the old (new defunct) MPIP chat room. Despite considering myself computer savvy, I managed to contract malware that exploited a security flaw in this program. You might remember that newer versions of java broke the chat room, so I had the older, unpatched, version for that reason. I have now uninstalled Java completely from my computer and haven't had any situations where it was needed. So….I recommend everyone uninstall java on their computers using the "add or remove program" control panel. You'll be glad you did.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2010/10/18/have-you-checked-the-java.aspx

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

what if I have a newer java ??

DonW
            Participant

Well you can read the article, which seems to say that you'd be OK with the most current version. But I've found I have no need whatever for Java, so it's gone from my computer.

Janner
              Participant

Sometime soon, if you surf at all, you will hit a website that uses Java.  If you don't have the Java virtual machine installed on your computer, you will not see that portion of the webpage.  You will also be prompted to install Java for that reason.  Java is pretty prevalent on pages that have any type of animation or complicated interactions.  There is only so much you can do with straight HTML for webpages.  Java is becoming more prevalent on pages, not less.  You can advise everyone to delete Java, but if you surf a lot, do any type of online gaming, or visit pages with complex interactions…. you might just be shooting yourself in the foot.

Janner
                Participant

Sometime soon, if you surf at all, you will hit a website that uses Java.  If you don't have the Java virtual machine installed on your computer, you will not see that portion of the webpage.  You will also be prompted to install Java for that reason.  Java is pretty prevalent on pages that have any type of animation or complicated interactions.  There is only so much you can do with straight HTML for webpages.  Java is becoming more prevalent on pages, not less.  You can advise everyone to delete Java, but if you surf a lot, do any type of online gaming, or visit pages with complex interactions…. you might just be shooting yourself in the foot.

DonW
                  Participant

Well you can read the article, which seems to say that you'd be OK with the most current version. But I've found I have no need whatever for Java, so it's gone from my computer.

dian in spokane
                  Participant

what if I have a newer java ??

lhaley
                    Participant

I will attempt to do that! Thanks

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

I will attempt to do that! Thanks

Linda

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics